Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Every time, how depends on how much use. From a bore snake to a full brush and scrub. The 336 30-30 got the forrest bore foam after a good clean, my with the rifle stood on end muzzle on a tissue in a dish the tissue had a large blue stain on it ? Clean rifles with a bore guide always. As has been said clean with care, its not that hard, Gar.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've seen firearms ruined by both lack of cleaning and lubrication as well as IMPROPER cleaning and no lubrication. A firearm that is cleaned properly will show no wear or damage and its useful life will probably extend to several generations if it is a quality firearm to begin with.

Call me anal retentive, but after two careers under arms with service in city alleys, deserts, jungles, mountains and swamps, as well as military rifle teams and police pistol teams and a lifetime of hunting, I'm a firm believer in a clean weapon.

Back to the OP's original question about shotgun cleaning... My antique Parker DHE after two days and two limits of pheasants this weekend, is spotless and back in the safe ready for next weekend. Just got to love a good shotgun!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hunting shotguns, usually many bits of bark, twigs, dirt and brush in the action parts, are the deciding issue for a break down clean, long before any powder accumulation issues. Shot clays with a SxS, clean it about once a year. All of them get the outer metal wiped down after each use.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Yes--improper cleaning will ruin the muzzle of a barrel. You see this kind of damage on vintage M1 Garand rifles because of the sectioned screw together steel rod given to the GI's to use. Also, do not use a stainless steel bore brush on your barrel. I use a one piece coated cleaning rod and a bore guide if possible. If you make sure that the rod is going in straight and perpendicular to the bore you will be okay.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Call me anal retentive, but after two careers under arms with service in city alleys, deserts, jungles, mountains and swamps, as well as military rifle teams and police pistol teams and a lifetime of hunting, I'm a firm believer in a clean weapon.
I hear that. A dirty gun can get you killed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How often do you clean your shotgun? I used to have an over and under, I admit to hardly ever cleaning it. Now an auto or even pump is another story. If you dont clean a gas auto from time to time, she will misbehave. Pumps are more forgiving. Some clean every shoot, but others, not so much.

Opinions?
Back when I shot Competitive Trap almost every wknd, I cleaned beginning of every month, usually after 400 - 500 rounds.
Same thing for Cowboy Shooting. Of course if I shot Black Powder, I gave a quick spritz to all guns and a complete teardown and clean as soon as I got home.

·
Super Moderator
6,080 Posts
again, this in another thread that shows a wide variation in "word interpretation" - in this case "cleaning"

jd

21 - 30 of 30 Posts