Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First 45 acp revolver I have owned. Also the first one with the Hillary hole in it. I prefer the older blued models but not at the price they are going for these days and wanted a 45 acp revolver so I went with the 625 Jerry Miculek revolver. It shoots great and I can hit pretty much where I aim it even in double action. I like the N frame revolvers and this one has that heavy feel and very mild recoil. I see a lot of people change the grip on these but I liked it with the light recoil. The trigger is wide and has a little different feel to it. I have a spring kit coming and will lighted up the trigger pull on it when it gets here. I used the moon clips today and they are okay even without the tools. I have 45 auto rim brass on the way so I can use them when I don't want to mess with the moon clips.

·
Registered
13,505 Posts
You must have strong fingers or weak Moons to say they are OK without tool. I have never shot acp. in 25-2s I have now. For several years now I shoot 45s, 44 sp & 38sp more than magnums. I’ve not locked in a load for 25-2s yet. That’s unusual for me because all my other rifles and handguns are locked into loads. I find a load that I like and never change. With the 45acp revolvers it is the bullet that I’m not picked yet. I’ve loaded hundreds in 45AR brass and to tell the truth they all shot well. I tend to like the target semi WCs styles.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nice looking gun, I always wanted to try one of the JM revolvers.
I have an older 25-2 that I shot in IPSC back in the 80's. With the full moon clip it makes for extremely fast revolver reloads. I shot the same load in the revolver that I shot in my government model. I don't remember how much powder I used but it was WW 231 and a hard cast 185 gr SWC. I believe I was pushing it about 1100 FPS to make major power class with it.
Good luck with your new gun.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Nice revolver, I have a 625 and it is one of my favorite shooters. I don't mind the moon clips, I have a demooner tool that works well. I keep 30 clips that I load at home and that usually keeps me busy at the range. No loose rounds, no lost brass and quick reloads, whats not to like

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice pistol in a fun caliber.

I really like full moon clip, reloads,.... fast as greased lightening!

:giggle:

·
Premium Member
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must have strong fingers or weak Moons to say they are OK without tool. I have never shot acp. in 25-2s I have now. For several years now I shoot 45s, 44 sp & 38sp more than magnums. I’ve not locked in a load for 25-2s yet. That’s unusual for me because all my other rifles and handguns are locked into loads. I find a load that I like and never change. With the 45acp revolvers it is the bullet that I’m not picked yet. I’ve loaded hundreds in 45AR brass and to tell the truth they all shot well. I tend to like the target semi WCs styles.
I can load them without a problem by hand. Taking the empty brass out after required some thin nosed pliers but using them they came out easy enough. I did order the tool to remove the brass but have not ordered one to load the bullets as I don't need it.

·
Registered
13,505 Posts
I never cared about speed loading but not the main reason against moons. The first 25-2 that I owned years ago was opposite of today. I had Gold Cup at the time and was loading lots of 45acp target loads. I guy gave me several hundred 1x 45AR, I think it was Govt issue. The gun shot noticeably better with same bullet and charge out of AR brass.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
I was in a Cabelas yesterday that had a S&W revolver that looked 75 years old and shot .45acp. It was priced at $1200, is this the model 25 you guys are speaking of or something else you think?

·
Premium Member
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was in a Cabelas yesterday that had a S&W revolver that looked 75 years old and shot .45acp. It was priced at $1200, is this the model 25 you guys are speaking of or something else you think?
the 25-2 blued ones are the ones that seem to start at about $1200. I think that model first came out in the mid 50's.

·
Premium Member
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks like a nice shooter man. I have a 5" model and am looking for a prelock 625 in 45 Colt now.
The Ruger Redhawk will shoot 45 acp and 45 LC, I would have bought one of those if I could have found one at a good price. I only saw one and it was on gunbroker going for a high price. Maybe if things start getting back to normal next year I can get a deal on one.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Yeah I have the Redhawk but will probably sell it once I find the 625 I'm after. Have been thinning out my Rugers and buying older prelock S&Ws instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts