Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my F-1 today with my glock 19,i shot the skyscreen rod in half.I will replace it with a wooden rod.I did manage to clock some CP 460gr gc bullets with RL-7.38gr was 1500fps out of my 45-70 guide gun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've seen it happen before at my range. Never shot my own chrono though.

Funny though, before I had a chrono, I asked a guy I knew at my range if I could try a load over his chrono. His reply was "No, but if you'd like, I'll shoot your load in your rifle over my chrono." I asked him why and he said, "the last guy that I let shoot over my chrono, put a bullet through it." Understanding this, I let him shoot my rifle over his screens.

A while later after I had bought my own chrono, a guy walks up to me at the range and says, "Do you mind if I try a load over your chrono?" I said "sure, no problem, just be careful." Thinking back to the guy that wouldn't let me shoot over his chrono, I thought, "naw, couldn't happen to me." Sure enough, first round hit the metal screen rod, mangled it up, and knocked the chrono over.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Ahhh, Grasshopper the wisdom of the elders speaks. :lol:

Thanx for the tip! I'll remember this when I get my chrony.

Perferator

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a Thought
When did you ever see someone wash a rented car?

I really hate to borrow, and dread loaning, --- rather destroy my own stuff. This way:when I buy it, I buy it for me, and when I replace it --- it is still mine, not someone else's.

Friends have offered the use of a rifle or chroney, and I refuse, because if I lose or damage it --- I still have to buy it.

Rather pay for it once.

Bojon

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not Laughing at You at all I Have Done It Maney Times . Look On The Bright Side at Least You Did Not Shoot It In The Guts . DD

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
My rule is: "you break it, you REPLACE it" meaning I don't want it fixed, I want it replaced. That chases most of them off...

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Always use a rest, always set up an aiming point properly positioned behind the sky screens and your chronograph will live a long and happy life.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I have let others shoot through my chronograph but I always set their rifle on the bench rest and make sure it is on target and will clear the chronograph before letting them shoot.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I shot the rod on mine last weekend when shooting some 357 mag offhand. At least the rod is replaceable. I can see how people can shoot them if not careful.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Been there, done that...more than once.

Shot that one with a 45acp...have since replaced it.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
There are times I wish I would shoot my shooting chrony. It can be so picky on light but it still works..............sometimes.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
thearborbarber said:
There are times I wish I would shoot my shooting chrony. It can be so picky on light but it still works..............sometimes.
I have found it's more the angle of the light, than the actual light itself. At the range where I shoot, if I go in the morning, it works fine. But afternoon light, be it cloudy or sunny, gives me a lot of errors. I have since done all my chronographing in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I have a comp. electronics chronograph now since they were on sale at midway. It has functioned flawlessly. The shooting chrony sits on the shelf now.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
thearborbarber said:
I have a comp. electronics chronograph now since they were on sale at midway. It has functioned flawlessly. The shooting chrony sits on the shelf now.
Sell it on E-bay

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
+1 with Hal on shooting in the morning. I also learned that I was able to reduce errors, by installing the top shades all the time instead of only when very bright (at least here in South Florida).

BTW, do you know where can we buy some wooden dowels for the Chronys? I checked in Home Depot and Lowes and they did not have any with small enough diameter to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I found some threaded rod at the hardware store that was the same diameter as the skyscreen rods. It came in 3 foot lengths for about $5.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The point of wood dowel is that it will break easily and not damage the chronograph when it does.

Hobby/craft stores will have the small diameter dowel available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts