Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
years ago, my uncle owned a german shorthair bird dog. i don't rightly recollect the dogs name. birdbrain would have been fairly appropriate.

my uncle figured he could train this bit of bad breeding into a fine bird dog. the dog had a differant idea about what degree of refinement he ought to attain.

when we hunted pheasants, the dog would chase anything from foxes to deer. pheasants were pretty much ignored as a non interesting specie. he MIGHT stay in sight for a while but as soon as something that took his fancy turned up, he was not the least interested in all the calling or whistling you could muster up. he was off on his own! we waited on that dog a lot.

i swore i would not hunt with the dog again. we spent more time hunting the dog than we did hunting game.

one fall my uncle got the idea that we could use the dog to fetch ducks for us, while we were hunting from a lake blind. he had it figured if the dog was in the blind with us, that he could hardly run up against any trouble.

so, one morning in the early part of season he showed up with the dog.

it was one of those warm bluebird days when the ducks are not flying or they are so high up there that you can barely see them. as the day warmed up, it was hard to stay interested in duck hunting.

the dog had showed no signs of mis-behaving and was not looking to excited about getting in the water. i was wrong about that.

out of the cattails came a big old buck mushrat swimming slowly along. this got the old dogs attention. i noticed he looked a little curious about the varmint.

since he was not tied or impeded in any way, he jumped right into the lake and started swimming toward the rat.

we hollered aand screamed at the hard head to come back and of course he paid no attention atall to us, just as usual.

the rat saw him coming and it seems to me that a rat would fear for his life in the face of such a large advesary. i figured the rat to dive and make a break for it. it could easily elude a slow swimming dog.

i got an education into the thinking of a mushrat that day.

that rat just waited. when the dog got close, that rat laid on his back. just as the dog thought he had him a cute little plaything, that rat pulled one sweet manuveur and came out on top of the dogs head. i think i saw him grin.

this kinda got to the old dog and he let out what would best be compared to a woman screaming in panic. i had never heard him vocalise in such manner or for so long. he had good reason to worry too.

that rat went up and down his head and nose like a BUZZ SAW! he left few exposed areas untouched. this was a very thorough mushrat. he was taking his time and doing his job correctly. that old dog was sucking water and the water and blood was flying everywhere.

the dog was in a full out panick.

my uncle was beside himself but did not know what to do. i told him, he should shoot both of them and give them some rest. they had to plumb wore out by that time.

finally, the old dog got hold of that rat and settled his hash. it did not last long when he finally got hold of it but the dog must have bled about a quart. he finally got back into the blind and with a more subdued attitude. he wasn't near as good lookin as he used to was neither!

after that day, mushrats held no fasination with him. he would grumble and growl but offered no fight. when they swam by the blind, he kept both eyes on them and his carcass in the blind!

·
Registered
729 Posts
The school of hard knocks wins again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I enjoyed the hell out of that one ^5

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I GOTTA get 'round a campfire with you! Maybe one day...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts