Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very limited opportunity to choose between two new stainless .44 Mag Ruger guns - a 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk (for about $560) or a 2.5"" Alaskan (for about $640). I would use it for killing targets, outdoor companionship, deer and generally joyous noisemaking and flame throwing. I already have a 7-1/2" blue SBH, but prefer stainless for outdoor carry.

There is no possibility to get both. I also have 2 T/C Contender barrels, comfortable and well equipped to reload th 44 Mag

Seeking your opinions, using any criteria you'd care to use. Suggestions, comments and biases are all welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well, I have the Alaskan, and it's my every day carry, I love it! Surprisingly accurate for a 2.5" bbl. Mine carries 44spls around town and 44mags when I'm in the field. But if you are going to be shooting targets the longer barrel will serve you better. But the Alaskan is more versatile for me. Looks like a win win situation for you! :biggrin:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I own "several" single action handguns, all Ruger, mostly SBHs. As far as double action, the # is 0. The 4.62" SBH is a very fine handling gun. I have owned Smiths, Colts and double action Rugers but the single actions are more me. It is a tuff decision. Buy the cheaper one for now and if it does not suit you then up-gun. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
That's a TOUGH ONE....? I have a 4 5/8" SS SBH 44 mag , also a S&W 29 and both are Great guns no doubt, but I'd also like to have the Alaskan!!!?

I'd handle them both and see which feels better to you and let that be the deciding factor....
Can't go wrong with either though IMHO!

44 mag's are Awesome and I think Everyone should own at least 6 teen of'em!!! HAHAHAAA

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I own "several" single action handguns, all Ruger, mostly SBHs. As far as double action, the # is 0. The 4.62" SBH is a very fine handling gun. I have owned Smiths, Colts and double action Rugers but the single actions are more me. It is a tuff decision. Buy the cheaper one for now and if it does not suit you then up-gun. Good luck.
Me, too.

Besides, I think (not sure) that the SBH is a smidge lighter than a SRH (if you're going to pack it).

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Very easy decision, single action for sure. As a rule they point better, have a more in line recoil and rare is the time I ever shot double action anyway. Especially in a larger caliber, I can't convince myself that a single action is any sort of handicap. In practiced hands I feel a single action is the only way to fly.

Years ago I read about a Government Trapper who carried a heavy loaded .45 Colt in a Ruger single action. His stated reasons for such were what I've stated above, plus he liked being able to reload 1 or maybe 2 shots while on the move. His gun could be back in action by simply closing the loading gate. With a double action, you have the entire cylinder in peril while loading. As in, you could butter finger the whole cylinder. Now you are on your knees searching in the snow say, trying to locate that ammo. This on your knees thing could get you ate by Yogi.

Real world scenarios and actual field circumstances are not always the same. It's hard for me to think I could do quick work with a double action if I'm shooting a .44 or heavy .45 much less some of the bigger stuff. But in the end it's more about wants and wishes than what is really the best. For some reason they make all kinds of guns and never consult with me on what they should build. Some would even suggest that what works for me might not work for you! We tend to prepare for events that never seem to happen anyway. Steve

Reactions: DrMike

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
I have a special factory edition Talo 44 Mag SBH with a 3.75 inch barrel. I do not use it for a CCW piece but its great as a anti-bear backup in the tree stand.

IMGP0059.JPG

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had mine chopped and channeled by Wildwest Guns in Anchorage. It works great, wonderful trigger pull and the moon clips are worth the time. Mine is in 480 with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I think it is much more shootable than the 2inch Alaskan, what the Alaskan should have been. Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Had mine chopped and channeled by Wildwest Guns in Anchorage. It works great, wonderful trigger pull and the moon clips are worth the time. Mine is in 480 with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I think it is much more shootable than the 2inch Alaskan, what the Alaskan should have been. Jim
That's what I want to do with my redhawk 454. Mind telling what that cost?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the opinions thus far.

I can relate to those who wish the gun manufacturers would ask us what they want before making specific models. If the Ruger Alaskan had a barrel anywhere between 4" and 6" long, there would be no question that I'd be all over it. I find the 7-1/2" barrels Ruger likes to be far too long to be handy, but also hesitate to go under 5" in a 44 Mag due to losing too much performance.

Long ago a friend had a 5.5" Redhawk, before that model line was dropped, that was the sweetest shooting 44 Mag ever. Unfortunately the friend passed away and I didn't get there before his relatives looted his place.

I don't see the particular need for a double action 44 Mag (other than the simple fact that I want one, of course) for outdoor companionship, it is quite apparent that quality, powerful single-action revolvers have served many an outdoorsman for a very long time. It is highly unlikely I'll ever live my dream of hunting the big bears - or any bear of any kind for that matter - but I want to be equipped if it ever happens. I am currently leaning towards the SBH... affordability, handling, coolness, familiarity, history, safety all seem to point that way right now.

Keep the comments coming... they are all much appreciated

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just a note, my favorite packing 44 is an old model Bisley Vaquero in 44 mag with a 5.5 inch barrel. It's a really good packer, and surprisingly accurate for the fixed sights. Don't those SBHs come with a 5.5 inch barrel, too? I agree with you that the 7.5 inch barreled guns are really too long to be a comfortable carry.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 4.62" is easer to carry, the 7.5" is a pain. 1 of my SBHs is a former 7.5" that was cut to 5.5", a 2nd 7.5" is at the gun doctor getting a 2" cut, soon to be a 5.5". I prefer the Dragoon grip and my 4.62" has been fitted with one. I also like the non-fluted cylinder better as far as esthetics ( I spelled that word right ). I find the shorter barreled guns easier to shoot both from a rest and off-hand , don't ask me why I do not know. It may be balance or karma. Since I only have 1 hand to use it could be that the shorter barrels are less wieldy than the longer ones and they allow me better point ability. The 4.62" and the 5.5" have the XR3 RED frame, they are too small for my hand. All can be fitted with the Dragoon or Hunter frames. If you choose the Dragoon grip and it is not a perfect for your hand watch gunbroker for some Herretts grips and take a dremel tool and some sandpaper to them to make a custom fit. I know you will make a wise choice, I have faith. Good luck, Jerry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jdb3, that wheel gun rocks...

Ret_Eng, I'd hold out for a Redhawk std in .45 Colt...I have one each in .44RM and .45 Colt and absolutely love 'em for their ruggedness.

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
I'm a 44 Mag pistol guy--had to deal with too many big critters in Alaska some years back. I want the punch of a 44 Mag in my holster.

Reactions: XMAN and DrMike

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hunting, carried a 44 SBH 4 5/8 for a season, carried very well, shot well. In my younger days, trained on and duty carried double action revolvers with speed loaders, so today , I prefer the double action revolver and a speed loader in the pocket. So if they make a speed loader for the Alaskan (or converted to moon clips as someone mentioned) it would be my choice.

Reactions: DrMike
1 - 20 of 32 Posts