Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I road out with a buddy 2 weeks ago to a LGS gun store. We have been hashing around buying a couple of semi-auto shotguns for dove hunting and for myself a shotgun to deer hunt with. As some of you may recall I killed my best buck every this past season with my Remington 12 ga. Magnum 1100. I was not impressed with the shotguns performance. It took 4 number 000 buck to subdue the beast at 25 yards. The Remington has a 30 inch full choke tube and probaley patterns buckshot like my A-5 Browning with the same full choke. I know for a fact that the A-5 strings the buckshot up and down. I shot 00 buck into a pine tree one day and it put all of them in at 30 yard and it put all the pellets in except for the fact they spread 3 feet straight up and down. We have looked at several makes of shotguns. I like the new Tri-star Viper 2 because its built simaler to my old Charles Daly and fits me great. Also we both liked the new Weatherby SA-08 a very well fitted gun with a very simple gas system that easily adjusts to handle 2 3/4 light loads and high brass. My buddy just ordered a Weatherby Deluxe SA-08 20 ga. While in that store I came across a Browning A-5 Light Twelve. This gun is 12 ga. with a ventilated rib.The gun is in near mint condition except some one cut the barrel down to 22 inches. At least they made a good even cut at one of the ribs up right and tapped and put a bead on it. I don't know the reason could have been a qauil hunter or possibly full choke like mine or a damaged barrel. I could have walked out the door with it for $500.00. I had the money in my pocket but that money on me was for my Father's. I called my Father later that night and told him about it, His only reply was you dumb axx. See he has a old A-5 that met up with a disaster many years ago making it none functional. My Father and I are going back tomorrow to see if its still there. If it is I am going to check it out real close. I think that this gun even with the cut down barrel will work perfect for dove and deer. It most likely will shoot slugs and buckshot just fine. Even if I have to buy another barrel with invector chokes We would have less than $800.00 in it not bad for our area because A-5's of lesser condition around here are going for $995.00 and up. I also found a Ducks Unlimited 1992 Franchi 12 ga. gas operated gun. This gun is mint condition and I can get that one for $850.00 out the door. I have researched this gun to exhaustion and can not figure out what model it is. I saw one on gunbroker's the other day the same exact model but was not in as good of condition last bid $1150.00. The gun actually appears to be a Beretta 390. I use to have a 390 Beretta, it was a great gun I just could not warm up to the safety being a head of the trigger. If the Browning is there I am sure we will come home with, a no brainer. Does anyone have a shotgun with the barrel cut down that much and how does it pattern. Sorry for the long post but I'm just bored and excited.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have no idea how it'd pattern buck shot. But here the common practice for quail hunting was to cut the barrel off in two inch increments until it patterned right. 26-22 inches cyl bore was the preferred quail gun. Every gun patterns differently with different shells of course. My quail gun is a 20 gauge model 37 Ithaca from 1948 that long ago was cut down to 26 inches cyl bore. I've killed quail out to 42 paces with my reloads no problem. I've also had cut down guns that were useless the patterns were so blown.

Fwiw, if the patterns are too open, Federal promo shells have always patterned tighter for me than anything else. I have a cut down 20 gauge double barrel that is useless with anything but them. Every time I've patterned Federal against Remington gun clubs, federals have always given tighter patterns.

As to doves, here that gun would be useless. Our doves are all migratory and you need to get out there 30-40 yards minimum. Cyl bore would be barely adequate. In other parts of the country it'd be just fine.

The Weatherby has gotten great reviews every where I've seen it reviewed. I would own one if I were in the market for such. I'm not sure I'd even think about a tristar.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
000 buck is not necessarily the best buckshot because you just have 8 buckshot in the standard load. I have shot and killed 20 to 30 deer in my life with buckshot in my younger years and while not a authority on the subject I have probably shot another 100 rounds into pattering boards with different guns over the years. Each shotgun is different and while some may shoot 000 the best some may shoot 1's or 00 better or even 4's which we called leg breakers. The more buckshot you put on the target the better even they may be smaller. I shot a A-5 browning 28 inch modified choke for several years as my primary hunting shotgun and it did its best work with single 0 buck which had 11 in a load if I remember correctly, it would lay them down at 40 yards with no problem and sometimes the deer woud try to get up and need to be shot again. My son killed a big 9 point this year while standing on his front porch at 35 yards and the deer never kicked, just fell over. One thing I know for certain is I never want to be on the other end and have some shoot at me with a load of buckshot.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The Remington has a 30 inch full choke tube and probaley patterns buckshot like my A-5 Browning with the same full choke.
Probably patterns like your Browning! There in lies the problem, hunting a game animal with a gun you never even bothered to pattern. Same as hunting with a rifle that you've never sighted in. I've noted 000 buck doesn't pattern as well as 1 buck or 00, from any factory full choke barrel I've ever owned. Count yourself lucky if your full choke gun patterns 000 as well as 00 or 1s. Aftermarket buckshot chokes are tighter in #1 and 00 chokes, than 000. The only guns I had that preffered 000 were Valmet 412s 308/12ga and they have improved modified barrels.

The Remington 3in semi auto with a full choke is a deer drive gun of high standing in our club. Most folks shot 3inch 00 and a few 3 inch #1. You should pattern the gun with different loads before writing it off.

Reactions: Colonel26

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we get the A-5 I will diffenately pattern check it. My Father's old A-5 got ran over with PTO driven 8 foot rotar tiller. He carried to gun on the tracker one day because the neighbor's free roaming beagles would chase deer by him while he was churning up topsoil to sell, He got off the tracker to pee, and propped the gun up on the driver side tire. When he finished he lifted the tiller up and began cleaning the blades of wire grass. When he was done he got on the tracter from the other side dropped the implement and engaged the PTO and drove off. You know what happened. Man that thang chewed the Browning up. It put a nasty gouge in the receiver, chewed the stock off and bent the barrel in over 4 places. The gunsmith had to cut the barrel down to 20 inches and straightened what was left. He also straightened the receiver as best he could and put new stocks on. I shot the gun many time afterwards and most of the time it would not cycle the 2nd round. I pattern checked it and it was awl full. I pulled the barrel and checked the magazine cut off. Most Brownings that fail to cycle the 2nd round is usally one or 3 things. 1st Burnt powder or sludge can get behind the receiver and magazine cut off mechanism causing the spring to push the cut off lever out just enough to catch the rim of the 2nd round not allowing it to feed into the carrier. 2nd a dirty mag. tube.3rd the friction rings are in the wrong position. None of these were a problem. I then check the barrel out and found that although it appeared straight on the outside it had a flat spot clearly visable on the inside. This gun will never function properly but makes a very good parts gun. We have another A-5 so we just keep it around for parts. I recently had to use the fore stock on mine. I've told that the original Belgium barrel are to thin to install choke tubes. I don't like deer hunting with a shotgun but the place I am hunting is shotgun only. I might be vain but the only shotgun I have now that will shot buck shot or slug is a new over and under. It just doesn't seem right to show up at the club with a O/U a double okay. Besides this is just another reason for a new gun. My A-5 will shoot number 4 buck okay.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
My Dad never shot a rifle until later on in his life but he killed a pile of deer with buckshot. He had a 11-48 Rem that shot #1 buck from a full choke very well. I was just a little kid but I would tag along to the place he hunted. There were 6 brothers my uncle and Dad that hunted on a 10,000 acre lease that the brothers had leased to run their cattle on. It was heavily wooded with a large creek that ran thru it and chock full of deer. They would line up around a large block maybe three hundred yards apart and walk about 50 yards into the woods. They hunted there long enough to know the good deer crossing and hunted them accordingly. A driver would take two or three hounds through the block and the music would commence whenever the hounds struck a cold or a hot track. You had to watch carefully because just as many bucks were killed while sneaking out from all the noise going on from the hounds as were killed ahead of the dogs. They had all the stands named appropriatly such as the 10 step stand, the rocking chair stand or the 11 point stand. This just added more mystique to a youngster like me. The bunkhouse was a old building with a kitchen and a long sleeping porch on the back that had 8 to 10 cots lined up. They had a good water well and kept all their dogs in 55 gallon drums with hay in them for warmth. It was quite a setup they had but they had hunted there for 20 years and everyone had known each other all their life.

My Dads old 11-48 Rem started hanging up and he shot a big buck down and when it got up he could not shoot it again because the shell had hung up and the deer ran off, my old man was as mad as I have ever seen him. He held the gun over his head and said if anyone wants this gun I will take 40 dollars for it. One of the brothers walked over and looked at the gun then took his pocket knife out of his pocket and flipped a little ball of plastic from under the ejector and shot three shots out of the gun real fast. They had just come out with plastic shotgun shells and some of the plastic had got under the ejector and was causing the shell not to extract. About a month later the 1100 Rems came out and my Dad bought one at Wester Auto in town and was very proud of it. I have the gun now and it has a serial number of 450, it was early. My uncle shot a 97 winchester and the brothers all had a model 12 win except for one who had a A-5. Each and everyone of them thought his gun threw buckshot better than the others, they were a very competitive bunch.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Awesome story horseshoe!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting a little aggravated this is my third time trying to make this post. I get almost done and my puter freezes up. Pappy and I went back to the LGS that had the five hundred dollar Browning A-5 and bought it. On the way home Dad said you need a gunsafe and so we went looking for one. He tried to buy me one of those five hundred dollar jobs but I liked the 14 gun metal cabinet one, so he got me that. We got home and filled her all most up. He said he was going to get another one for his room when he moves in. Great day out with a great Father, I thought it was Christmas.

·
Registered
21,083 Posts
Gun shoppin' with dad.... Always a great day! Post up some pics of that A-5 if you get a chance....you know how we love pics!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My computer would not boot up this morning so my Wife had to restore this thing back to the factory settings. We lost all my pics and will have to start all over. That really sucks because many of those guns are gone now. All I have is my memories and they are not in color anymore, just black and white. Who knows I might get up in the morning and they are all gone. If my wife has to reboot me she'll probably use them cowgirl boots of her's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.