Marlin Firearms Forum banner

shopping for Marlins found something else

1K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  buckweet 
#1 ·
Visited a gun store for the first time in a small town in SW Michigan. Was looking for used Marlins in 22 cal but all he had was a used Japanese Browning semiautomatic and a Remington Fieldmaster 121. Have a Browning and a clone but do not have a Remington pump 22 so I got my fingerprints all over it and ended up taking it home. Made in 1937 it has a good barrel, a bit of speckled rust and pretty good stock and fore end. Small spot on stock where wood chunked out, maybe 1/8" around but cycles nice and feels good. Got it for just under $500, thought it was a bit high but I liked it. Any thoughts on these rifles?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ernst, It looks like a fine rifle, I don't know much about that particular model, however I think every collection needs one 22lr pump, they are great fun, that one looks to be in great nic, I have something similar Winchester 61

#7 ·
I hope I look that good when I'm 81. That old rifle is in great condition for it's age, you done good.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#11 ·
The Father of the 121 was the Model 12 Remington. The 121 was introduced the same year that the Hi-Speed ammo was. Didn't Remington own the Peters ammo line? I have owned both the Model 12 and 3 model 121's. Everything I've heard says Hi-Speed is fine in the 121.

The gun was designed by the other great gun designer named john. John Pederson, who was referred by John Browning as being a better gun designer than himself. What a tribute!

Here are some references I've found: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541413

AC

#12 ·
Mine is also a 1937. It has the same thinned bluing speckles on the receiver sides; perhaps came as a factory feature. It's run perfect since I bought it from a buddy at work who bought it new. I know he babied it, so no worries about reliability. I like the 121's price over the Winchester's "junk" version. At ~$550 for a current 572, the 121 is a much better quality rifle. A great heirloom to hand down.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.