Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for my first Marlin. Trying to trade a Remington 742 in 6mm. Anyways what about 308mx as my first Marlin? As I've been trying to trade rather than sell and then buy, my trade pursuits are based on what I'm finding other people interested in trading...

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
I think you'll find that most of us with a 308MX or 338MX really want to keep them. BUT if you do find one try and get one that the serial # starts with 93 ( 2007 ) or 92 ( 2008 ) as some of the later ones with a serial # starting in 91 ( 2009 and early 2010 ) have a factory miss machining resulting in barrel droop...

·
Administrator
28,326 Posts
^^^^ what Bart said, not too many who own one are willing to part with them. As far as the 308MX as your first Marlin, well, they're a versatile hard hitting round. My 2007 JM 308MX shoots 1/2 MOA at 100YDS when I do my part. You can take a wide variety of game with it for sure.

Some members have found some very good Remlins in 308MX. Problem is, they're like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. So one needs to thoroughly check Remlin's out before purchasing one.

Check out Guns International, Cabela's Library, and Gun Broker for used 308MX - I found mine on G.I. at a great price and it's a keeper! :biggrin:

Oh, and welcome to Marlin Owners.

Jack

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
You could also consider a 30-30....if finding ammo where you are is an issue. I think though, the main thing you need to look at are the JM stamped Marlins....at least until you know what to look for with the Remlins. Good luck on the hunt! I find that a great deal of the fun is the search!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
From what I understand thru the grapevine the Remlins are improving. As Jack said, you have to be careful but good ones are out there, just be sure they shoot straight. I suppose the way to do this is to send it back to Remington if it does not literally connect the dots.

And by all means, welcome to the board. A great group of gents who know about everything there is to know about levers.

Ss

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't marlin produce the 308mx anymore? What's the 308me? I can't find one anywhere for sale...

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
The 308MX Is The Model Of The rifle. Some People Write it As 308ME. Both Mean 308 Marlin Express. MX Is What's Stamped On The barrel.

·
Administrator
28,326 Posts
Doesn't marlin produce the 308mx anymore? What's the 308me? I can't find one anywhere for sale...
According to Marlin as of May this year... the 308MX model is their number one selling rifle. I don't think it's going anywhere except for maybe increasing production run numbers.

Jack

Reactions: Scorpiusb
1 - 10 of 10 Posts