Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody- well at long last I finally had the chance get this one out with my meager supply of ammo and see how she shoots. For those who didn't see my previous posts, this is my first Marlin and first levergun in fact. It is a 1965 336 in 44 magnum that I acquired recently in a trade.
I had a few questions I needed to answer- 1. Will it have feeding issues? 2. Will it like different types of ammo better? 3. Will I need to replace the front sight because of the skinner sights I installed on the receiver? And 4. Will accuracy suffer because of the marks on the bore from the front sight screws? I'll answer those below.
Air gun Trigger Wood Amber Shotgun

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, as for the feeding issues reported with 336's in 44 mag, I can say this one seems to cycle well, with the provision that is is done quickly and with "authority". Certain bullets will probably be even more consistent, but out of a few dozen rounds I only had one complete jam from cycling a little too slowly. It really does chew up the bullet when it does jam though!
For different types of ammo, unfortunately I have been unable to find any more 44 beyond what I received from the last owner. Those were 180gr JHP. I wanted to get some 240gr but no luck yet, so the jury is still out on that one.
As for the front sight, it looks like I will definitely need to replace it. At just under 50 yards, the rounds were going way high, even after I lowered the sight as far as I could. I had to aim 18-24 inches low to get near bullseye. So I imagine what I'll have to do is get one of the front blade sights that can be trimmed down. It's not my first choice, but it looks like options are limited.
And lastly, thankfully, it doesn't seem like accuracy is being adversely affected by those indentations on the rifling. Even though the sights are ridiculously off, once I got rounds on paper, the grouping seemed consistent even though I was standing and shooting with no bench rest.
So over all, I am encouraged with how it performed. It's a little disconcerting knowing that if I was, say, being charged by a bear, if I failed to cycle quickly enough the gun could jam. But different ammo could help this too. Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you have!

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
Ben:
I got a .500" front sight blade from Skinner, and filed it at the range as I sighted in. Wait until you get some 240's until you do anything. On sight-in day, raise the rear sight a little, so you have some up-and-down adjustment built in. File slowly, you don't want to take off too much.

And when you're changing out the front, be extra super careful not to strip out the base screws. Support the base, or get a real sight blade pusher tool. Repeat, DO NOT strip out the front sight base screws, or life will be completely different.

Surveillance camera Fixture Wood Cylinder Building material

Reactions: Benalpha

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice Rob! I hadn't considered the risk of stripping out those screws- that would be a disaster. My own gunsmithing tools and experience are pretty limited. I'd prefer to do it myself, but I may need to drop it off at a gunsmith to make sure it is done right.
Ben:
I got a .500" front sight blade from Skinner, and filed it at the range as I sighted in. Wait until you get some 240's until you do anything. On sight-in day, raise the rear sight a little, so you have some up-and-down adjustment built in. File slowly, you don't want to take off too much.

And when you're changing out the front, be extra super careful not to strip out the base screws. Support the base, or get a real sight blade pusher tool. Repeat, DO NOT strip out the front sight base screws, or life will be completely different.

View attachment 862126

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sometimes tapping for marginally larger screws after re drilling can help with a stripping problem. But this is something we want to avoid, as noted.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I bought a junk one a few years back and cleaned it up and re did the stock. Mine you have to cycle with authority also. Enjoy a cool first rifle. I only got mine because it is semi rare. No telling how many got junked because they were a PITA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So over all, I am encouraged with how it performed. It's a little disconcerting knowing that if I was, say, being charged by a bear, if I failed to cycle quickly enough the gun could jam. But different ammo could help this too. Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you have!

If I was bein charged by a bear I think I would be cycling that level as fast and hard as I could!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was bein charged by a bear I think I would be cycling that level as fast and hard as I could!

Haha true enough- I suppose I should say that, even when cycling rapidly, I feel there is still a chance it jams. Of course, that is always possible with a semiauto as well

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Ben welcome to the forum, you do know you are doomed now after buying a Marlin, it never ends.

Reactions: Benalpha
1 - 12 of 12 Posts