Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is starting to be a test in patience. The cast bullets are much more consistent than the jacketed bullets. Hopefully the right combinantion will come along before I run out of options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've ahd the best luck with Rel. 7 powder in both jaketed and cast.
Hornady 200 gr. RNSP's suffer jacket splits, jacket seperation, wandering woudn channel.
Oddly, Hornady 180 gr. XTP h.p.s penetrate deeper and hold together much better.

Till I went to Rel. 7, my .38Spl. and .357 ammo was more accurate in my rifle than any of my loads in MAX cases.

I've got a Hawken trigger guard and carbine ring on my shortened MAX that I used to carry hossback alot :)

Dave O.

·
Registered
3 Posts
.357 MAX may be an even "better" deer caliber than even .38-55 Hi-Vel.
W/O getting high-pressure signs you can duplicate 50 yd. .35 Rem factory ballistics at the muzzle of your MAX.
180 gr. XTP are GREAT bulelts and make same wound channel to same depth/width as my .50-70-450 rolling-block carbine from 1867.
Sierra 200 gr. S.P. just MIGHT be a good one...(?)
Rel. 7 is MY "best powder" for MAX & 38-55 hi-vel.
You can load MAX cases with Lyman tong tool, LARGE handles and .357 dies backed-out :)

It will shoot any .357 or .38Spl. pistol load, factory or handloads, fairly well to extremely well despite the "jump" to rifling.

With my cut-down horseman's carbine (16 1/2" barrel, slimmed forend, carbine ring, fixed peep sight) I won a local 200 yd. running deer competition shooting against scoped sporters and guys who regularly shot the "running deer" they had built.

Carried alot in saddle scabbard, but cavalry carbine sling snapped into a carbine ring was "best" in long-run for hossback. (& very quick into action...Could use it like a pistol...Important feature to ME after a bear chased my friend's Catahoula dog back aroudn a corner of the trail and into the middle of us and I coudl not get my lever rifle out of the scabbard...)

I stained the "ply-wood" stock dark and re-finished it...Nearly all the blue is worn-off my old MAX, and people who see it think it was made in the mid-to-late 1800's ;-)

Dave O.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dave O... Can you post a picture? I'm interested in how/where you installed the carbine ring especially.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts