Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Shooting technique

10K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Judson 
#1 ·
I've been shooting for years, hunt all the time, I have my own range, I'm a casual reloader...and I'm not as good a rifle shooter as I'd like to be. I do pretty well in field shooting situations, but I'd really like to improve my bench technique. It would help me test loads and work with my rifles. So, for those of you kind enough to help out a guy who is trying to improve, what's your technique off a bench? What do you use for a rest? How many shot groups do you fire? How often, and how, do you clean your barrel? How long do you wait between shots? Do you put your rifles away with dirty or clean barres? What other things do you do to shrink your groups?

#27 ·
To shoot a Lever gun benchrest, crank your front rest as high as it will go. I also turn my Rock rest backwards so the lever clears the feet.
then put the rear bag on anothe sand bag. A real sand bag not one of Those walnut hull bags.
This will raise the rifle enough so the lever clears and you won't have to move it between every shot.
I place the very back of the forearm on the front rest.
On the receiver would be better but that gets in the way of the lever.
Aim the rifle using the benchrest controls and fine tune using the rear rabbit ear bag.
Only worth it if your using a scope or target peep sites.

#28 · (Edited)
Hey CG - here’s a pic of what I use. Cheap but effective. I rest the barrel in the front “black fork” and the butt of the stock goes against my shoulder. (There’s also a black fork for the back but I take it out.). If I’m testing new loads I wait for 5 minutes between shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.