Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys ever shot steel cased ammo through your Marlins? I have a buddy who has a bunch of steel .308 left over and he wants to sell it to me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
As long as it has non-corrosive primers, shooting steel cased ammo through your XS7 shouldn't be a problem.

The drawbacks of steel cased ammo are:
  • it's loaded to lower pressure then brass cased ammo due to the nature of the steel case.
  • it is usually very old military surplus ammo.
  • often, it isn't loaded with accuracy as a priority.
  • the powder tends to leave more fouling then many commercial brands.
  • usually non expanding full metal jacketed rounds which aren't good for hunting.

If you are looking for ammo to use for break in or plinking then the steel cased stuff is cheap, useful, and fun!

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you think it might be corrosive make sure to use an ammonia/water solution in the barrel right after shooting the stuff. It's usually the primer thats corrosive so you gotta clean the bolt too. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosiveness.

A lot of steel cases are lacquer coated and it can "glue" up a chamber if you shoot fast and hot. I got my XL7 real hot last time out with just 6 quick shots; I could not hold the barrel with my bare hand.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As K31 says Beware o The Lacquer coated brass it will screw Your gun up . Most the steel case ammo has a steel core . Make shire Your range Does Not Have any fire restrections , Most Ranges do Hope this Helps DD

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to stick to brass, the cost difference wasn't worth it.

Thanks
Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts