Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a sweet knife in the classifieds that I'm looking to trade. Someone locally has offered me their reloads for it. By the number of bullets, it's a square deal. However, I am hesitant to shoot another person's reloads. I'm not a reloader myself, so I would know what to look for to ensure they were well made.

I may have already answered my own question, but just looking for confirmation from you wise fellas.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i get friends interested in me reloading for them. I have them come over, we sit down, go over the process. We then work through the process, I work with them to reload their rounds. I dont reload for anyone other than myself and my family, if im shooting a(close friend, only exception i can think of) gun i would use his reloads, but thats a rare exception to the rule.
Stranger? nope.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
On a second note it would be illegal for him to use reloads as a barter since it is a form of a sale. And I also would never shoot a strangers reloads.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I'm with the others on this one. Don't take reloads (or candy) from strangers. What you could do is take the reloads and invest in a kinetic bullet puller then sell the cases (which may be hard to find) and bullets yourself. Depending on the volume of rounds you may make out better this way so it might be worth looking into. But I wouldn't shoot those rounds not no way, not no how.

Stu

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good Advice !
I don't reload even for my Sons, I'll sit and watch and guide them while they load their own. I am not sure i would even use a trusted friend's hand loads. I myself made several mistakes Hand Loading years ago and double charged several casings for 44 Magnum, I had to force the fired casings out of the cylinder after I fired them. This happened due to several mistakes; Charging powder into some casings and then coming back a day or two later to finish them up, I didn't visually check the Powder levels in each casing. And the most important is I was Drinking Beer when I was hand loading.
After that happened I quit hand loading for about 15 years and recently got back into it about 10 years ago.
I don't drink anymore so I am very focused on what I'm doing. I needed to clean up my act once I became a Grandfather.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Heartache in a box.

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I didn't shoot someone else's reloads, but I let them borrow my pistol at a competition and he shot his reloads out of it. My Beretta was locked up tight. I had to beat the casing out with a rod and hammer. Beretta 92 is a good strong gun - no damage.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've shot other's reloads but only from someone that I know & trust. Some guy on the internet? No thanks.
GH1:)

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
yup, i accidentally put 27.5gr in a 357 maximum, the book actually showed 25.7gr. it happens. sticking cases was the result. learned to check everything twice

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
Nope, tore down a pile of 45 colt reloads that I got when I bought the 45 Colt CB, they LOOKED good, but I'm not going to chance it. Mr fixit

1 - 20 of 36 Posts