Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And how are you doing?? I'm using the 22WMR, myself. Federal 30 grain HP's from my CZ and Remington 33 grain V-max from my 96 Ruger Levergun. ~Andrew

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use my 17VS with 17gr. Hornady's. Haven't been able to get out to shoot yet. Waiting for a free weekend to head to NE.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Andrew;
Yes, I hunt groundhogs with rimfires, primarily..Until recently , either .22LR or .22 Mag.
I have recently reassessed my opinion of the .17HMR...so I am going that direction..
Yes; the .22 mag has a bit more punch than the Hummer...but now I believe that the odds are greater for good shot placement with the .17 and found the Hornady poly tips work better on 'chuck size varmints than the CCI hollowpoints.
Right now, I am considering replacing mu 164M Savage/Anschutz with another .17 HRM...to couplement my NEF sportster w/ 3 barrels (including HRM).
I have just about decided in favor of CZ, or else Marlin/Savage ..choice between those two being a tossup.

I really would be interested in a Ruger 96/17..but since accuracy is everything for the .17..and I've heard that Ruger's accuracy now tends to be "hit or miss" ...I have rather discounted the 96/17..

I have learned to value your opinion Andrew...what do you think of the 96/ models accuracy wise..particularly in the .17 Hummer ?

BTW..No prarie dogs around here but I have 11 woodchucks so far this spring.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 96/17 shot very well. About MOA without going through the complete shoot in. The 17 barrels really like to be shot a while before presentimg top accuracy. It's not breaking in, in the classic sense, but I believe it has to do with shooting out the lube from machining. I never shot more than 150 rounds through mine. I got a Green Mountain tapered octagon barrel for my 96/17 shortly after I got the gun and never looked back. It's a tack driver. The triggers usually need some attention but they are a straight forward affair. I cut the tops off of the barrel bands leaving just the "hooks" that go over the wood. Looks good, and keeps the accuracy up. The GM barrel will fit under the band, though...

My current 96/22 Magnum has been rebarreled with a 77/22 barrel in 22WMR. I had to turn a short spacer to take up the slack but it went in well. This is a factory barrel but Lordy! It shoots! .7 MOA with about everything, and the Remington Premiers ($$$!!!) shoot best. I have been killing a lot of game with this rifle lately.

I'll tell you this much, IG... if your 96/17 doesn't shoot to your liking I have my original barrel you can have. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the offer Andrew...I haven't totally made up my mind between Ruger, Marlin, Savage...or if I can arrange it a CZ..

If I do go for the 96/17 and I'm not pleased with the results, I may well call upon you for that extra barrel..

My 164M Savage/Anschutz .22 mag will have to go toward it though...no more room in my locker.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you're ready to sell the Anny give me an e-mail. I may have someone who would be interested. Does it shoot?? Ah! Stupid question??

I would get the CZ if it came down to it. No dinking around there! I have a 452 American in 22WMR that is amazing.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Andrew;
The fact is, it doesn't shoot...not as I would like it to..if it would shoot anywhere near as accurately as my NEF sportster in either .22 mag or .17 HMR..I wouldn't get rid of it, since I do like the CCI 30gr V-max rounds for 'chucks..
Right now, it's more of a "looker" than a "shooter"..

What kind of accuracy should I expect ? Now, my rifles are set up for hunting, usually from 4X to 3X9 scopes and while I do shoot from a home made bench ...I don't use any special rest, sandbags or such (won't have them while hunting)..

At 50 yds with my .17 HMR (NEF) I get groups of several into 1/2-5/8" NEF Mag about 3/4".. the Anschutz Mag goes 1-1.25"...

I am about to try recrowning the barrel...although, after my last shooting session, I noticed the action was not tightly secured into the stock...could free-floating be that big a problem ?

My Marine Corps armorer grandson ( he is also his unit's designated sniper) is just home from Iraq, and he wants to go shooting..so I believe I'll give him a whirl with it..

Although it is not close to the other weapons he has in his armory...the info should cross relate...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My CZ will shoot ammo it likes into a ragged hole at 75M. (Federal 30 grn HP's) The Anny not shooting is a puzzle. Tighten everything down and give it another go. The idea that 22WMR's are "nowhere near as accurate" as the 17HMRs is an antiquaited notion. I have several if each chambering and they are equal provided the ammo is good.~Andrew

PS: If it still won't shoot, maybe I'll buy it and work on it for a while. I like that sort of challenge!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the advice Andrew..I'll try a few things and who knows; I may decide you can tuine it better than I can..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That rifle has my interest piqued. It should shoot like nobody's business. If you have access to a Wal Mart that sells Iossi (sp) bore cleaning paste you might give it a wipe. My CZ was so-so for accuracy until I did some tweaking, including the bore cleaning with the Iossi. It is an exceptionally mild polishing paste and used in conjunction with a dab of gun oil. After I used it (one patch, back and forth a few times) the guns accuracy improved. After that I just plain willed the thing to shoot. (And shot the hell out of it!) In the space of a month it came around. It's now my favorite carry rifle and will -this afternoon- sport a Schmidt & Bender scope; a gift from a visiter from Scotland. (Good glass!)

I found that my best grouping with the CZ and my similarly configured Anschutz Hornet came from resting the rifle on a sand bag ahead of the magazine and using a two handed grip with the butt against the shoulder. Try every kind of ammo available. Shoot it as much as you can. Some guns just like to be shot!

What do your groups look like. Scattered, round, strung?? Stringing isn't always a bedding problem with a RF, btw. Ignition can be the bugger-boo on that one. Disassemble the bolt and get her clean inside. Put on some oil and then wipe off as much of it as you can. Don't need much!

And if you finally get ready to toss it into the creek? Drop me a line with the required tariff... I hope it shoots for you.~Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'm using my CZ452 in .17hmr for small varmints. It allows me to work out a little farther than my Win 52 in .22LR. Although I still take the 52 also for 75 yds or less. Out past 150 I'm still using the Rem. 700 in .22-250. My old standby for 25+ years.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The Anschutz is shooting some better now..
I cleaned all the steel parts with brake cleaner..then outers bore cleaner in the bore...and let soak overnight.
Next day, a scrub out with Happich Simi-chrome...

Torqued down both action mounting screws...the rear one goes a bit deep into the action, protruding into the bolt housing area..

In the woods at 50 yards....remember, I have no special shooting rest or gear...just a homemade bench with a piece of 4X4 treated lumber.

I got WW hollowpoint rounds to give 9/16 " groups..and I was using one of those very cheap $24 compact 4X scopes (about 8" long) with coarse crosshairs..

I'll keep trying and report what I find..

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
22mag for Chuckies

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Went out praire dog hunting and took the 17v marlin out and had a ball :) :) I love it this time of the year as the half grown one are as dumb as a post, their would be 4-6 dogs on a mound and you can start at one end and start to take them out one at a time :) :)
The only bad thing was the wind was blowing hard and you had to allow for windage. It was like throwing a curve ball into the pack :lol: :lol: 8)

Sturgis

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same thing down here in KS. It was liking throwing a curve ball. But the young ones were still dump as a post too. I got to spend most of Sunday morning out shooting.

Hornady's 17gr rounds worked the best for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For red squirrels and chucks on the lawn and garden I use both my 880SQ and 882L. I use either Power Points or Velocitors on the chucks, mostly Velocitors as I'm about out of PP's.

Took a chuck the other day with 882L using CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr HP. About 25 yards and the chuck dropped like a rock. Shot her out the kitchen window. Sure is nice living out in the country with lots of your own land. By and large most chucks taken in the past 10 years have been taken with my Marlin 995SS, 880SQ, 572 Remington and and Marlin 60SS. Some with my 882L; I picked up a Savage M40 Varmint Hunter in .22 Hornet and been shooting them with this rifle on longer shots over my meadows. Shot one yesterday and took her clean at an honest 155 yards. Love this rifle too. She's my main coyote gun.

Range Finder

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
andrew,
How would the Marlin 39A stack up against the CZ 452 LUX in target shooting? I've shot the Winchester 9422LR and 9422Magnum at 100 yds, but on the former, there's not a great deal of consistency, even with the 4x32 scope. The magnum isn't usable in the club 22 LR matches.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Guess if I was going for chucks around here, I would take either my Browning 53 in 32-20, or my Ruger 77/22mag. Maybe it's me, but the 77/22mag has never really shown me any spectacular groups worth bragging about. Has a 4x scope on it though and while compact, I've been tempted to trade that out more than once.
Bestboss

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Get a marlin bolt 22mag.. I have the 25mn,, no frills and its just awesome shooter.. and my Hog getter..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Can vouch for the Marlin 25MN....great little shooter and very accurate...we shot them at 200 yds. in the club; at 100 yds. hard to beat. My only problem with it, is I shoot left handed and my 25MN is a right handed model....and I think the price I paid for it was around $159 ?? or less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts