Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Several years ago I received some homeloads when I bought a secondhand Marlin 1894 Cowboy LTD. These were .45Colt gallery loads that "shot really well", according to the seller of the gun. He didn't want any money for them and so they were duly signed over. Since they were being shot through the same gun I thought they would be good for plinking/practice etc.

Back home the ammunition was locked away and I shot the gun for years using my own homeloads.

Today I decided to free up some space in the cabinet and so I took the donated rounds to the range, along with some of my usual homeloads.

The donated loads were terrible. So much so I thought the sight was loose, or the gun damaged in some way. To my relief, when I used my own loads she shot as beautifully as ever, albeit in a brisk crosswind:

I inspected the remaining donated loads: primer-seating was uneven, variable OAL, some shaved bullets, one backwards primer...

...and this hidden gem in a second box. Can you spot it?

It's a 44mag case that's been through a 45Colt die set and has been stuffed with a .454 bullet instead of a .429 :

It doesn't show well in the pic but the whole round
(the one on the left) is kinked!

Moral of the story- there's no such thing as a free lunch!

·
Super Moderator
6,568 Posts
Other people's reloads:

image.jpg

But......wrong case...wrong bullet.....jeeze louise!!!!

Dude also has several different headstamps all mixed up. This will not yield very good accuracy. I used to think that it didn't matter....but it turns out it does lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dude also has several different headstamps all mixed up. This will not yield very good accuracy. I used to think that it didn't matter....but it turns out it does lol.
Case thickness/case capacity differences can have safety implications, too. I think there's a sticky in the 45-70 sub forum about the variations between makes of 45-70 brass.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You think those rounds look bad from the outside? Pop a few open and weigh the powder charge.

I would never shoot anyones, and don't shoot even my best friends loads. Figure we would stay friends longer that way. All it takes is one moment of distraction to blow up a gun.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Reminds me of a "Special Ops" story I read about. Seems that that there was a black ops program in Nam to replace small arms ammo and grenades with stuff that had been doctored. The 7.62x39 was loaded many times over pressure to burst the receivers of the AKs. The grenades were set with 0 second fuses. The idea was to create a distrust among the Cong for their weapons.

It it was a good read and there was some evidence in captured documents that the operation had at least some of the desired effects. It was quite a fete to insert the altered ammo and, when necessary, remove a case or two real stuff. Of course, not all the ammo was overcharged, nor were all the grenades set to go off as soon as the pin was pulled--just a few in each case.

Sounds as as if the same folks may have loaded the .45 Colt rounds

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Personally I'd break then all down for the brass. Not much telling what is actually inside those cases. Kind of sounds like the fella sold the gun because he thought it wasn't much of a shooter when in fact, he wasn't much of a reloader.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Several years ago I received some homeloads when I bought a secondhand Marlin 1894 Cowboy LTD. These were .45Colt gallery loads that "shot really well", according to the seller of the gun. He didn't want any money for them and so they were duly signed over. Since they were being shot through the same gun I thought they would be good for plinking/practice etc.

Back home the ammunition was locked away and I shot the gun for years using my own homeloads.

Today I decided to free up some space in the cabinet and so I took the donated rounds to the range, along with some of my usual homeloads.

The donated loads were terrible. So much so I thought the sight was loose, or the gun damaged in some way. To my relief, when I used my own loads she shot as beautifully as ever, albeit in a brisk crosswind:

I inspected the remaining donated loads: primer-seating was uneven, variable OAL, some shaved bullets, one backwards primer...

...and this hidden gem in a second box. Can you spot it?

It's a 44mag case that's been through a 45Colt die set and has been stuffed with a .454 bullet instead of a .429 :

It doesn't show well in the pic but the whole round
(the one on the left) is kinked!

Moral of the story- there's no such thing as a free lunch!
Mr. Random probably did what I did.

I bought two boxes of Remington .45 Colt brass at the local gun shop. I carried them home and opened the boxes to place the new brass in my plastic MTM boxes, to begin working them up for loading. When I began sizing them, I found one shell in the first box that was entering the sizing die with no resistance, so, I looked and found a R-P marked .44 mag case. OK, now I'm short one .45 Colt case. When I began working the second box of brass, bingo, I found another .44 mag case. Out of 200 cases, 198 were .45 Colt, and 2 were .44 mag. All new virgin brass that I get, I size, trim, chamfer and de-burr before anything else is done for reloading. I strive to make good quality reloads, and attention to details really pays off.

Mr. Random probably didn't size his new brass before loading them, and didn't catch the mistake. He just primed the new cases, loaded some powder, and shoved a bullet in the case, and apparently not inspecting his product. Mr. Random is a very careless reloader. I personally do not shoot anyone else's reloads.

·
Premium Member
15,349 Posts
I do not shoot other people's handloads,
nor do I load for others.
If receive handloads from someone, I pull the bullets, dump the powder and start fresh

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Many years ago, I bought a 30-40 Krag rifle with several boxes of reloaded ammo. Long story short, I fired the first reloaded round and it didn't feel or sound like I thought it should, and the second one had hard bolt-lift and extraction. Stopped immediately. Pulled the ammo apart once I got it home. Seems the previous owner subscribed to the "more is better" theory--the loads were compressed IMR stick type powder. Weights, as I recall, were over what was listed in the manuals for a 30-06. Also, bullets weights varied.

I NEVER mess with other people's reloads anymore, other than to pull them apart for the brass and maybe the bullets. Always the safe way to go.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
Other people's reloads:

View attachment 142501

But......wrong case...wrong bullet.....jeeze louise!!!!

I stopped using donated hand loads when some guncrank from a gun club gave me some forty for a P226 that almost rung my bell.

I don't take handloads from folks that:

Smoke
Drink
Argue with their wife
Drink
Take pain meds
Brag too much
Put down other folks
Drink
Wear New Balance shoes
Drink
Don't know the date
Drink
Use weed
Forget to eat at proper times
Drink
Use the "F" Bomb three times in a sentence
Drink
Say "Watch this!"

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
Might I add to that list People: :ahhhhh:

Take Statin drugs
Eat fast food regularly
Drink Diet soda with aspartame
A Recovering alcoholic that talks about beer all the time
Someone who takes over 15,000 steps a day
Folk who blink too much
Folk that never shut-up
Lite beer drinkers

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Here in Sweden it is prohibited to sell, give away or hand over handloaded ammo in any way to another person unless you have a permit and a certificate that you have the knowledge- and your ammo has the proper quality....
handloading for your own personal use is legal without any restrictions..
We have a lot of crazy laws here- but this one is OK

1 - 20 of 58 Posts