Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks back I acquired a 1949-vintage 39A. It had a few minor issues -- a cracked buttplate, a couple of missing/buggered screws -- but also, at some point, someone had drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope. No big deal. I bought is as a shooter, one I had always wanted, and the price was right. I've shot it a bit with the iron sights, and it shot well -- well enough that today I got a set of proper rings and mounted a cheapo Chinese 4x scope I had on hand just to see what this rifle could really do.

I shot 4 loads from a rest at 35 yards -- Remington Golden HPs, Winchester Xpert HPs, some old Federal solids, some CCI Mini Mag solids, and Mini Mag HPs. All gave squirrel-head accuracy at that range, no problem, but the Mini Mags were phenomenal! A 10-shot group with either bullet was small enough to be completely hidden by a dime! Just to be sure these results were no fluke, I shot 2 more groups with each of the Mini Mag loads. By the finish, a bit of shooter fatique had set in, I fear, and the last group was truly horrible -- 10 shots that were hidden by a nickle!

I do believe I've found a real winning combination.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
All of my 39's like Mini-Mags.......a few even shoot them better than Eley. And I actually have better luck with the hollow points. I likes 'em.....

Shum8

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is nothing finer than shooting a 39er! Mine is a micro groove and beleive it or not, i have found that winchester wildcat groops the best!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you can find them. CCI's 40 gr h.p. Subsonic is pretty tight in my older pre-micro groove 39-A... Might be worth a look.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have yet to find a 22 that shoots mini mag solids badly out of the 25 or so that I own or have owned. 2 or 3 didn't like mini mag HP's. Some of them do indeed like wildcats.......so I bought 15 bricks of the stuff. :lol:

My 39A is sporting a Lyman peep sight and it loves Winchester T-22's.

I've heard that some folks have good luck with Winchester dyna-points but I've never tried them.

I've also never tried any of the PMC offerings in rimfire. Anyone know if they are any good???

OOOOOPS!!! Edited to add that my 39 is a micro-groove.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've had good success with the LR Dynapoint hunting with a 52 Repro. They generally land where the cross hairs are held. They are temperature sensitive, and are subsonic below 32-F. They are only carried by Wally here- have heard that K-mart carries them in the U.S. Can't argue with the price- 13 bucks for 500. They feed well in my much shot 10-22 as well. They are okay in my 39-A with williams 5-D peep- not spectacular- the old girl has definite tastes of her own when it comes to ammo.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Ya'll
Yaa those 39A's are a squrrels worst nightmare.Ive got 2 diff ones ones a 1948 its my trappin companion and the newer one is my squrrell snipein gun. both like the CCI mini mags but the newer one shoots the winchester power points a bit better. Ive been in love with them both for a lot a yr's. the 48 i bought in a beer flat in a gillion pieces.the newer onei have a 4x12x40 on guys laugh till they see how well it shoots. I wouldnt trade either one for a farm in texas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts