Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have to give Hornady credit -- just shot my 35 Rem using their 200gr FTX bullets and I am REALLY IMPRESSED! I been buying all the stuff I need to handload 35 Rem but this factory ammo is going to be hard to beat. I'll probably still try, but right now if someone calls and says "Let's go shoot some pigs" I know am ready. I'd post a happy face but I still haven't figured that out.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Yep, the stuff shoots 1 hole in my 336 SC, and I haven't been able to better that with my handloads. Same thing with the 338 LE ammo. The stuff is really very good.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you like the Leverevo ammo..try the Buffalo Bore 220's ...they roll out of my 336SC at 2245fps (avg) which is 45 fps faster than advertised..energy is near 2400ft/lbs....It only shoots a little less flat than the 200ftx but kicks major butt on the critters you put one into...expensive yes..worth it? to me yes ..when its an expensive hunt ..definantly!!! Good elk and moose medicine inside of 250yds and very accurate to boot

·
Banned
430 Posts
I have come to believe the 35 Hornady LeverSolution is as good as it gets and its usually the least expensive 35 ammo to boot.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
I said this on another post but I'll say it again. I did the math before ordering components. It was cheaper for me to buy 5 boxes of 20 35R LE ammo than buying the components to load 100 rounds http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ $20.93 a box X 5 = $104.65. a box of FTX 200gr. is $30.79 Remington brass $50.99 a 100, powder pound $15.+ primers $3. = $99.78 If you buy Hornady new brass it's $34.99 for a bag of 50 cases,

So don't feel bad about buying factory 35R LE ammo. It's the smart thing to do IMHO. Save the brass 1 x fired HDY.brass 100 cases is worth at last $45. if not more.

TO NY

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
308, when calculating costs of reloading it's best to figure a per shot cost based on the amortized cost of the case based on a number of firings, not just one. Figuring between five and 10 reloadings of the case for that load brings the cost down substantially.

The powder's probably around 20 bucks a pound, and conservatively figuring on the high side of powder charge weight would put the powder cost of each shot at around 13 cents.

Therefore, we have:

seven cent a shot amortized brass cost (seven reloadings of full power; actually cheaper if you demote to reduced loads after seven shots)
thirteen cents for powder
three cents primer
thirty cents bullet;

Fifty three cents a shot, or 10.60 a box.

Not bad. For overpriced bullets, powder, and components, that is. Bullets are ruinously priced.

It will probably aggravate the heck out of you if you found out I've been getting those bullets for ten bucks a hundred, wouldn't it?

And I am. Look at where I live for a clue. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
brewster7 said:
I really have to give Hornady credit -- just shot my 35 Rem using their 200gr FTX bullets and I am REALLY IMPRESSED! I been buying all the stuff I need to handload 35 Rem but this factory ammo is going to be hard to beat. I'll probably still try, but right now if someone calls and says "Let's go shoot some pigs" I know am ready. I'd post a happy face but I still haven't figured that out.
Just a heads up - while I was shooting my 336 35 Rem on the range and sighting it in with the LEs - no feeding problems whatsoever...

But the very first hunt I take it out on, I fill the tube full of LEs and when I jack (or TRY to) the first round in the chamber, the lever locks up completely! I had to disassemble the rifle to unload it! (Luckily I had another rifle so the hunt wasn't a bust...).

Bottom line solution that works for me - load a RN round first, then fill it up with LEs. I have not had any problems since I started this practice.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
35 Remington nothing aggravated me but it seems like I aggravated you for whatever reason I can't figure out.

Leverevolution factory ammo is hard to beat.
If you live in an area where gathering components is easy and cheap more power to you. Why in the world would that aggravate me.

Most people have to buy all the components either online or the local gunshop. I'm basing my prices on my reach. I went online to midwayuas and as I said a bag of 50 HDY. cases was $34.99 X 2 (100) $69.98 + box of 100 FTX B. $33.99 = $103.97 and I'm not even including yet the price of powder + primers.

All I'm saying is the first round is cheaper to buy complete ammo than buying all new components.

At $104.65. for 5 boxes = 100 rounds comes out to $1.05 each.

A pound of powder can cost $18. + tax, if S/H + [Haz-mat $25 ] and tax, price goes up.
A pack of primers $ 300 a 100 if locally, If ordered S/H + Haz-mat price goes up

Okay now I have all my components I need to put together a 100 35R LE ammo.

HDY.cases --------$69.98
FTX BULLETS------$33.99
powder 40.0gr.----$10.28 base on LVR. 40.0gr.X 100 =4000.0 gr. 4/7 of a $18. pound
Primers------------$ 3.00
-------------------------------------
$117.25 for the first 100 rounds each @ $1.17 and 1/4 of a cent.

The second,third,forth,fifth,Sixth X load well you have the cases.

Money wise I wish I had access to your resources but I don't. Maybe you would like to share it with the rest of us on MO. It would be highly appreciated.

I would like you to know this post of mine is to explain my resources not to compete with your.
I was giving sound advice based on my net-worth. I fully understand in different areas people have better or worse access to these component, therefore the price.

Enclose of this lengthy post I also like to say I know by members, respect your opinion here on MO and not looking to compete with you over this point.

Regards
TO NY

PS
In the new Hornady #8 manual data for leverevolution powder lists max. charge @ 42.7gr. I know Hodgdon leverevolution data list max is 35.5C. So I went with 40.0gr.
My calculation for the already owned HDY. cases ("amortized ") 1 X fired is 0.4727 cents each X by 20 [1box of ammo]comes to $9.45 We or not that far apart. Remember now I didn't include Taxes, S/H, Haz-mat or anything else that may influence the price and either did you.

Oh yes ups don't charge Haz-Mat on loaded ammo another saving of $25.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
35remington said:
Bullets are ruinously priced.

It will probably aggravate the heck out of you if you found out I've been getting those bullets for ten bucks a hundred, wouldn't it?

And I am. Look at where I live for a clue. ;D
Here's a suggestion: Buy up a couple thousand of those bullets at 10 cents each, and offer then to us poor souls on MO for 20 cents. You double your money and we save probably $15/per box buying them. Limit the number folks can buy to 200. If you feel really good, you could donate what you make off of them to MO. If you aren't feeling quite that good, only donate half!

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
Halwg said:
Here's a suggestion: Buy up a couple thousand of those bullets at 10 cents each, and offer then to us poor souls on MO for 20 cents. You double your money and we save probably $15/per box buying them. Limit the number folks can buy to 200. If you feel really good, you could donate what you make off of them to MO. If you aren't feeling quite that good, only donate half!
Hey that is a great suggestion. I'll buy 1000 or the 200 in fact, I'll put an order in right now.

TO NY

·
Registered
125 Posts
Id be in for sure to buy a few hundred at that price!!! or a thousand...

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Count me in on that deal too. I'd take several hundred at least if I can.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I'd be in on that deal as well, 2,3,4,500, which ever. DP

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am guessing that he is buying blems and overruns direct from Hornady. Grand Island,NE and Lincoln, NE are 100 miles apart on a straight road. Either that or he works there. I don't know what Midsouth and Midway get for these when they have blems, probably 50%-60% of 1st quality. Ie, under 20 cents.

I plink with 158 gr jacketed bullets in powderpuff loads. Not supercheap, but under 20 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Maybe he does work there and just fills his lunch pail with bullets each day! ;D

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
Funny Halwg I was just thinking the same thing at breakfast this morning.

If 35Remington doesn't want to go through the trouble of selling them he should PM me and and let me have the connection. I will sell them even blems are worth 200 for $30. + $5. ;D 8)

TO NY

·
Registered
459 Posts
Most manufacturers have an outlet. Bore Snakes for example, $15 in the store, $1 at the outlet (so I am told). The outlets are not normally internet or mail order friendly. When Midway and MidSouth get Hornady blems in (very rarely, so buy it cheap and stack it deep), I encourage you to check their prices. Some are fantastic, some not. Last time, they offered .22 caliber jacketed as low as 4 cents each. Nosler also has an internet friendly outlet for factory seconds. Their factory seconds are better that most manufacturer's 1st quality. Excellent prices across the board. Inventory comes and goes of course. Lee Precision has one, with poor supply and lousy prices. I believe that Speer and Sierra sell blems cheap, but only over the counter at the factory. I am not suggesting that anyone is lunchboxing bullets, though the firearms industry has a colorful history of folks doing that with entire firearms, even today.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2941654/page/1/fpart/1

I think that people do some crazy stuff in factories. An Irish relative supposedly drowned in a vat of Guinness while drinking his lunch on the down low.

By the way, dealers keep telling me that components are going up in price 20% soon (by summer). Makes sense, due to fuel cost, clearing old inventory, etc. Prices on things like primers are seeming too low right now.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Just bought a pound of H4895. Price, $29.95 in Ft, Worth. Pretty soon it will be up to what it is worth? best wishes, Jack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts