Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Big Boy Steel in 357 that I will be sending back to Henry for the second time because of accuracy problems. This new barrel shoots worse than the one they replaced (6x4.5 groups at 50yds was the best one). I don't have much experience with .357 rifles but with this one when shooting with medium 158gr hand loads the center of the group was close to point of aim at 25yds, 158 grn Remintons shot 10 inces higher and some hot 125grn hand loads shot a couple inches higher than that. I have a lot of experience with 30-30 loads and I know depending on the load they will shoot to different points but the largest difference I have had is the 160grn gummy tips shot about 3.5 inches higher than most other loads at 50yds.

Ten inches of difference seems extreme to me and I am wondering what other peoples experiences are with rifles like this with different loads.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I shot my Henry BBB in 357 mag for PC silhouette for two years. Did not do a group test as such but it always hit the target off the bags.
I shot mild to wild with that rifle and there were drastic poi changes depending on the speed of the bullet.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The.357 that I have is a 1894C. At first, .38s did seem to shoot high at 25 yards. Now (16 months later), the POI seems about the same as .357 at 50 yards. I shot LSWC 158gr .357s last month and FMJ 130gr .38s this month (Remington's and Winchesters respectively). Both are pulling to the right, and the grouping is a few inches (.38s at 7 1/2" × 10: sitting and .357s at 4" × 3: bench). I am thinking that it is due to the heavy trigger pull. That is why I am shooting .38s. I hoping to wear the trigger in. But, I could be a playing a role also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a lot of room for variation in the .357 rifles. Aside from the fact there are a lot of different weights of .357 (at least 110-180 grain), you add .38 spl in all its variations; and the sights have to be adjustable to those at various (reasonable) ranges.

TBF I haven't grouped mine from a bench.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
It could be you are pulling the trigger instead of squeezing it. Your shots will be high if you pull the trigger. You will know you are squezzing the trigger when your shots come as a surprise to you when fired. I can't speak to the accuracy of your rifle, but I do know that if I am following the instructions I learned in the US Army, my groups are good. If I don't have consistent technique, it shows up at the range.

Reactions: 94win30wcf and GFK

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Take a buddy to the range with you let him shoot it if it still shoots the same it is the rifle.

Reactions: GFK

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fairly sure its the rifle as with my 22 Frontier and my old 336 the groups were under an inch at 50 and they all have very similar triggers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a Henry Frontier 22mag that would not group better than a shot gun.
Traded it for a '59 mountie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts