Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times back when I was a preteen kid I can remember going to shooting demonstrations.

One time.... way back I remember this rep from Winchester was shooting at sheets of galvanized steel with a Model 62 Winchester .22 and drawing silhouettes with his shots. He was shooting at probably 50 feet. He drew an indian chief with a full feathered head dress, then a picture of Abraham Lincoln with his top hat and then a picture of Davey Crockett with his **** skin hat.

The man was shooting as fast as he could pumping in new rounds and firing at a phenomenal rate of fire. I remember being very impressed. Looking back I am STILL very impressed.

I can remember that many old hardware stores, gun stores and even grocery stores had examples of the shooting demonstration silhouettes shot into sheet metal hanging in the area where their stock of ammo was kept. I haven't seen an example in years though.

I have been searching on the internet to try and find some of the old examples of this type of shooting demonstrations. I have found only references to exhibition shooters doing this kind of shooting but I have not been able to locate and pictures of the sheet metal silhouettes or picture these trick shooters produced.

The reason I am asking about this. If I can find examples of these old shooting demonstration silhouettes, I would like to try and make some of my own.

If you know where I might find pictures of examples of this old time shooting demonstration please post the URL.

If you are an old guy like me and remember this type of shooting demonstration then please tell us about your experience.

Frank

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Frank,
I, too, remember those demonstrations and the sheet metal portraits. A gun shop I worked for has the "Indian Chief" on display. I'm afraid these demo targets are in high demand by collectors. I don't know if factories even sponsor demonstration teams using rimfires anymore. Pity, eh?~Andrew

·
Registered
59 Posts
I might be wrong but I think the box from my new 1897 Century Limited has a pic like that on it. Indian chief I believe. Nice idea and I too remember as a kid seeing demos by Colt and Winchester. Making your own is good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I saw some of those type of targets about 20 years ago seems like they were packaged with a bb gun and sold at K mart. I believe it was made of copper. I'll keep an eye out around the antique shops.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Being another old fart, I too remeber seeing these demonstrations in the late 50's and early 60's. I still have a signed photograph of Colonel Larsen, Marlin's trick shooter, along with a few other handouts he gave me at his exhibition shoot.
I've often thought of buying a piece of sheet tin, or aluminum, and drawing a silhouette on it with felt pen, then shooting the border with one of my target .22 rifles. Afterwards the felt pen mark could be just cleaned off with thinner. Thought it would make a good decoration in the gun room.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dark:30

Well Ranch Dog has his postal match.
We here at MarlinOwners.com could have our Picture Contest.
25 yards on a heavy paper sheet that has the desired outline traced on it.
We could post them online or maybe Dark:30 would host this himself.
My old copy of Ed McGivern's "Fast & Fancy Revolver Shooting" has several pictures of this type target.
Could be an interesting project.
What do you say???
jim.e

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responding fellow Marlin Owners.

I finally located a few examples of drawing with bullets shooting. I put a couple more pictures in the gallery if you are interested give them a look.

I thought the silhouettes I saw way back when were a lot more elaborate than the examples I located. Could be my rememberer is broke. Anyway I have something to look at and a place to start making my own drawings with lead. Should be fun shooting them and they will make some interesting decorations for the den or at least the shop.

Frank

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jim.e said:
Dark:30

Well Ranch Dog has his postal match.
We here at MarlinOwners.com could have our Picture Contest.
25 yards on a heavy paper sheet that has the desired outline traced on it.
We could post them online or maybe Dark:30 would host this himself.
My old copy of Ed McGivern's "Fast & Fancy Revolver Shooting" has several pictures of this type target.
Could be an interesting project.
What do you say???
jim.e

jim.e: Sounds interesting all except the part about Dark:30 hosting. I'm on dial up, I live waaaaay out in the boonies and my phone lines are so old they may have been installed by Alexander Graham Bell himself. I know this sounds like I am trying to wiggle out. At least I hope this sounds like I am trying to wiggle out of hosting anything.

If and when anyone draws pictures with lead just post a picture here on the forum.

I am going to try shooting the picture I posted. If that works out then I will try and make some more detailed lead drawings.

Frank

·
Registered
59 Posts
marlinman93 wrote:
Being another old fart
Eh, whats that sonny? Young whippersnappers nowadays...:shock:
LOL I know what you mean MM93. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
yea Im getting old too

I know Michael Blackburn personally and he is the best fancy shooter
at present time. He shoots flying BBs with a Win 94 .22. but the scariest and best shot I ever saw was Col Larsen. I was in the first grade at Magazine Arkansas 1961. Col Larsen shot through a lifesaver candy and deliberately chipped the inside with the bullet to show it was not a trick. The bullet went on to put out a candle. The lifesaver was held by our star basketball player Bobby Corbit. That took balls.

Well I became a star ball player too, and a master shooter, but i aint tryn that shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts