Marlin Firearms Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Killed my first deer running flat out when I was 14 w a shotgun (00buck 20 gauge remington 1100). My dad jumped him and he wasn't gonna stop. I would not attempt that w a rifle though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I believe that is the difference between shooting and hunting. Two different methods of killing game. I have never liked to hunt from
a stand and never liked the stand & drive method. Not that a lot of deer aren't killed by those methods, I just get a bigger kick out of
sneaking around the woods. Getting a deer is almost a secondary mission. I get a big kick out of guys talking about booking a HUNT.
This has become popular with the younger crowd. The HUNT is transportation to and from a stand. If that floats you boat more power
to you, but it's not for me.
well, depending on where you hunt, you may not be able to hunt from anything but an elevated stand. I go to North Carolina every year for a deer hunt and you are not allowed to hunt from the ground unless you're hunting with dogs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
shooting running deer is a skill that requires a little thought and some practice as the ranges get further away.

Up close and inside 50yds, it's not too hard to do if you give them a little lead and use a good cartridge. I would stay away from smaller calibers like the .223-.243 size. Once the ranges get longer it starts to get more complicated with the lead needed.

I'm by no means an expert, but my father in his younger years was just short of amazing in his ability to hit and kill deer running in the woods and the fields. He could also hit and kill all sorts of other critters with rifles. I once witnessed him shoot a starling on the fly, with a 22LR [there was a hill behind the target] at a range of about 50yds, 3 times before it hit the ground. When he was a teenager, he would shoot pheasants on the fly after his hunting partners missed them with shotguns.

The one thing he told me, and it has always worked for me, is to keep your horizontal crosshair on the deer's backline. That will allow for any lead errors, and give you a killing shot, or at worse dump the deer for a 2nd shot. using that method allowed my to shoot a deer at a full on sprint, at 185yds, and put a fatal hole thru it's back with my 260rem.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
shooting running deer is a skill that requires a little thought and some practice as the ranges get further away.

Up close and inside 50yds, it's not too hard to do if you give them a little lead and use a good cartridge. I would stay away from smaller calibers like the .223-.243 size. Once the ranges get longer it starts to get more complicated with the lead needed.

I'm by no means an expert, but my father in his younger years was just short of amazing in his ability to hit and kill deer running in the woods and the fields. He could also hit and kill all sorts of other critters with rifles. I once witnessed him shoot a starling on the fly, with a 22LR [there was a hill behind the target] at a range of about 50yds, 3 times before it hit the ground. When he was a teenager, he would shoot pheasants on the fly after his hunting partners missed them with shotguns.

The one thing he told me, and it has always worked for me, is to keep your horizontal crosshair on the deer's backline. That will allow for any lead errors, and give you a killing shot, or at worse dump the deer for a 2nd shot. using that method allowed my to shoot a deer at a full on sprint, at 185yds, and put a fatal hole thru it's back with my 260rem.
I had an Uncle that was like your Father, shooting wise. He was Army trained and I honestly can't remember him ever missing a deer, running or otherwise. He knocked a few over that we had to go after and finish, but I cannot for the life of me remember a deer ever getting away from him. I don't know how many times he would slam on the brakes, throw me into the dang windshield, roll out of that ole Apache and knock over a deer I never saw, woods or field, didn't matter. He just had a special skill for it, and he ALWAYS used a scoped .243 Winchester.

DR

Reactions: dmsbandit
61 - 64 of 64 Posts