Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
here is a story that takes a little faith to believe, my daddy and a couple of friends when they were young men hunted mostly with 22 rifles, that is mostly what they had so everything got hunted with them including squirrels to deer. a lot of times they would turn out one little dog, a man named Benjie newton had on a deer trail. they would take a stand at safe distances from each other. when the deer came running by they would shoot him, mostly in the shoulder area and the deer would usually run 50yds or so and fall dead with collapsed lungs or a hole in the heart. this is where the faith comes in.

the man named Benjie was an extraordinary shot! he shot a Winchester model 62 pump. when a deer ran by him it was usually one shot one kill, he would shot a deer in the head or neck wile running! it was not a fluke either, he did it a lot of times. he was known for shooting squirrels wile they were running through the trees with his 22 they said he could hit any small thrown objet out of the air. his son told me when he was a kid he would flip a nickel up hard into the air and Benjie could hit it with no problem, and sometimes a dime as well. I knew him well, he was a humble sort of country man but real intelligent. I know he could speak fluid German, he was also the lightweight boxing champion in the army in the 50s in the 1980s he came to our house and had coffee with my daddy and talked about the old times, he told my daddy that his eyes was going bad because he could no longer shoot deer running with the 22 he had to use a shotgun now! my daddy said one time they went hunting and all they had was a handful of shorts and a couple of long rifles, they split them up, Benjie put his little dog on a deer and it ran to my daddy, he shot him several times, the deer ran a ways and fell, the dog found him. he said the deer was hit behind the shoulder 5 or 6 times, some of the shorts had gone through, and the hide stopped them on the other side. I know people today will frown on that sort of thing, shooting deer with a 22 rimfire but if it is all you have you make it work.i was honored to be a pall bearer at his funeral on the 4th of July in 97............

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
I live in northern NY and hunt the Adirondack mountains. I don't hunt tree stands I wait until there is snow find a buck track worth tracking and follow it until I kill him or its dark. I would way rather shoot them in their bed but it's not always possible. I have shot over half my deer running, most were running full bore. My gear is setup for it and I practice for it year round. In this neck of the woods 10seconds that a deer is on their feet could be 2hrs of dragging so if they're on their feet I'm still shooting.

My two main deer rifles are Remington pumps one is a 7600 carbine in 35whelen with a leupold vx-6 1-6x, the other is a Remington 760 in 35rem with a 16" barrel and a peep sight.

I hunt year round with both of these rifles with gallery loads "158gn cast bullet at about 900fps" I shoot everything from bunnies and grouse to crows and squirrel both on the ground and in the air. We also do tire shoots every year put a piece of cardboard in a tire and roll it down the shale bank.

If you don't practice shooting running deer is something you shouldn't do. If you practice and know how to use your gun shooting running deer isn't that hard to master.

In the worst of the late Larry Benoit "you have 364 days 23hr's 59min and 55sec to get ready for the 5 seconds of your season that matter."

If you want to learn to shoot running deer get that high powered scope dialed down stand up from behind bench and get some lead going down range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before I even read "Larry Benoit" I knew you were a follower of the famed Benoits. :) That's a good thing. Your way of hunting, your choice of firearm... It all spelled BENOIT very clearly. Can't argue with success! Thanks for chiming in. There are hunters we can, and should learn from. The Benoit family are famous for their whitetail hunting success!

Guy

·
Registered
584 Posts
Kenny Rodgers said you gotta know when to hold'em
I have shot running deer and do so quite often but there are times when I will pass on a running deer and have done that quite often as well. I won't take a straight away shot nor a head on. Broadsides are hanging nose up. Range comes into play as well. Most of my deer hunting the deer are within 50 yards when they pop up. I prefer a standing or walking deer but I won't shy away from a running shot.
I shoot peeps with both eye's open. Win 94 30-30.

HA

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I got bored shooting paper when I was a kid. The joints are full of guys that can hit a 1/2 dollar at 100yds, and they can sitting at a
bench. Stand them up on their hind legs and very few can hit a clay pigeon at 100yds, most are lucky to hit a pie pan. Shooting a
running dear is way out of their class. I have a couple buddies who trophy shooting Benchrest ( lot better than me ) they don't do
bad offhand but are lousy at moving targets. Hitting running game is not magic, you just have to put in the effort to learn. It's like
riding a bike, once you learn you pretty well have it. Fine tune your rifle on the bench and then stay off it. Unless you are Benchrest
shooter you are wasting practice time. Beginners are better off with iron sights.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have shot a few running deer in my lifetime. It takes practice and I got that practice hunting rabbits with a bolt action single shot 22lr. I haven’t done it in years though. I need to get out and shoot more jack rabbits

·
Registered
698 Posts
I hate to admit it but I missed and missed and missed x 6
Twice in my lifetime I have fired at a running deer and twice I emptied my rifle and clean missed.

Anyone else?
Any advice?
My advice and what I do is wait until the deer stops.
I would also be willing to bet that more deer have been wounded than killed because they were shot at while they were running.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Killed a nine pointer last fall. Shot him standing still with a hard cast 38-55 and knocked him down, he got up and ran I shot him again. He fell down again for good. First shot 20 yards, second shot 30 yards. Same with my elk last year. Hit him through both lungs at 40 yards with a 338mx 200 grain accubond.....he barely flinched and started to run. Second shot hit him back but centered the liver. He went about 40 yards an fell. I keep shooting till they fall down or i am empty or they are out of sight.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I probably shouldn't say this, but I do shoot some deer moving, not running, in thick woods.

V
Most of the deer I shoot are moving, but not running. I also don't take a first shot at a running deer. My follow-up shots on running deer have taught me I'm just not good enough at it.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I hate to admit it but I missed and missed and missed x 6
Twice in my lifetime I have fired at a running deer and twice I emptied my rifle and clean missed.

Anyone else?
Any advice?
Hum... I can without hesitation report that I have never missed my intended target based on my proficiency and expertise with target acquisition on both moving and stationary objectives.

Just to be clear and a tad bit more precise.... I have a serious concern for COLLATERAL DAMAGE (others is the area performing the same objective) and I DO NOT enjoy wasting ammunition.

Thx for posting~!

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Reminds me of a story I heard where a Mexican with a ragged out win 30-30 was riding with a bunch of paid hunters on a ranch in South Texas and they were talking about getting some camp meat for their extended stay and about that time two does ran across the dirt road behind the truck and while moving the Mexican threw up the beat up Win 94 and Bam, Bam both deer fell. The hunters thought this was the best shooting they had ever seen so when back in camp they nailed a target up on a fence post and ask the Mexican to show them how to shoot as well as he did on the does expecting to see a bullseye the Mexican missed the target twice with the old 30-30 showing that it was pure luck that he had hit the does. I have shot at quite a few running deer in my life and killed some and missed some and never took any credit for the ones I killed, just figured I was lucky. A deer running flat out spooked in the woods especially is not a shot I would bet the farm on. I have not had a running shot opportunity in several years but I really do not think I would take it if offered anymore.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hum... I can without hesitation report that I have never missed my intended target based on my proficiency and expertise with target acquisition on both moving and stationary objectives.

Just to be clear and a tad bit more precise.... I have a serious concern for COLLATERAL DAMAGE (others is the area performing the same objective) and I DO NOT enjoy wasting ammunition.

Thx for posting~!
Living proof it's better to be lucky than clever.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I would suggest Quick Kill for those wanting to learn to shoot moving targets with a rifle or pistol. Army used the system of training in
Vietnam era. A Daisy BB gun with no sights was used to hit hand thrown target discs in the air. It transitioned into shooting m16 with a adapter rod that blocked sights on pop up targets. It's based on eye to target coordination. I never have done it but thinking about it most of the deer I have shot in thick cover on the jump were less than 50yds and I probably could have killed them without sights. I'm also one that when shooting offhand over 100yds will be looking for something to rest against. When you get into 100yd + then you have to allow for leed. I wouldn't shoot at a running deer that far but would a walking one. Those are few and not the norm in areas I hunt.

Here in Ohio when we were slug only the majority of deer were shot moving by stand & drive hunting. Most under 50yds. I really don't mean Ohio as a whole because the biggest part of it is flat and I think they stand hunt more than us hill billies. Another popular method is having a modified type drive & stand. Guys take up stands overlooking known crossings and others will slow stalk. Deer put up this way are sneaking out of the area and not on dead run. They can hesitate if not being pressed and give a stationary shot. You have to have a good crew to hunt this way because nobody knows exactly where other guys are at. Only shots that are 100% safe are taken.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have not had a running shot opportunity in several years but I really do not think I would take it if offered anymore.
I haven't had a running shot lately either but depending on the circumstance I might take it. Last year I had a deer get almost across an opening before I noticed and was able to get on him just as he was about to enter the brush. He was moving at a brisk walk/trot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Never had a problem on deer 50 yards or less. Done it for years. Still about the best shot with the people I rabbit hunt with, don't miss them often with the shotgun.

·
Premium Member
5,434 Posts
Don't shoot at running deer. Wait for a good clean shot. Every deer I've shot has dropped right in his tracks. I've never had to track a deer after I shoot one.

My neighbor lost two deer within a week of each other. The first one he shot with an arrow. Decent blood trail, but lost the deer because it was raining lightly, just enough to wash away the blood trail as it got dark outside. Then a week later, shot another deer during muzzle loader season. Dropped that deer, but it managed to get back up and take off, never to be found again.

Shot placement is everything, and that means you might have to pass on a deer every once in a while.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Dropped a running deer one time (range was about 60 yards) with a traditional percussion shooting a patched .440 roundball.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Lost one I should have had shooting running. Don't do it often enough to be good at it so I will not do it again. Loss was a waste as I shoudl have been able to get the deer but being older has other disadvantages beside shooting ability. Do just fine if they are standing or at a slow walk.

DEP

41 - 60 of 64 Posts