Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just had to do it!
My Dad left me a Marlin-Ballard chambered in 44WCF, very plain rifle but in pretty good shape with a pretty good bore. Rifle has very rudimentary sights and I didnt' expect much in terms of accuracy with them. Used 220 grain Cast bullets sized .426 and loaded them over modest load of unique. First group at 50 yards went 1-3/4 inches...and was dead center on the bull. Thanks Dad! Nothing like getting that kind of performace out of a 125 year old gun, I won't shoot it too often, pretty frail action and why push my luck. Now if I can find an extractor for the 1893 he left me in 32 Win special!! That will be the next project.

regards,
graycg

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Gun Parts Corp., formerly Numrich, may be able to help you. About 10 years ago, I obtained some newly made parts for my 1881 from and outfit called LAR, Lever Action Rifle Company. The proprietor was Larry Osborn and they were out of Gresham, Oregon. They made repro springs and screws for all kinds of Marlin applications. MM93 may know more about them, that is, if they still exist.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Glad to hear that your Ballard shot so well. Not bad for 50 yards. :wink: I have a #2 Ballard that someone converted to 45-70. I don't think they ever shot it. :shock: Anyways I was thinking of having it converted to the .44-40 caliber as that was an original chambering. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
graycg,
Wisners has the extractor you want for the 1893. They can be found on the internet. LARC is still in business, but only sells by phone orders. Larry's number is 503-665-9742. This is a side business for him, so his response time is nowhere near as good as Wisners.
Sounds like your #2 Ballard is a great shooter. The .44-40 in factory loads can be a bit much for the #2, but in reduced loads it isn't going to hurt the old Ballard. I shoot my #2 in .32 Ballard XL often, and no problems. I also have a Stevens 44 chambered for .44-40, and was told that although it's an original chambering, it shouldn't be shot much, as it was too weak for this caliber. I shoot it with reduced Unique loads often, and link pins are fine, and the action remains tight.
With common sense, these old guns are perfectly fine to shoot. Enjoy your great old Ballard!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts