Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a scope mounted with Shoot Through Scope Rings that work well?

I recently bought my first brand new to me 1979 Marlin 336 30-30. This is going to be my brush and walking gun for white tail. What I want is to be able to utilize the scope for long shots. But use the See Through Scope Rings on close range shots. My only problem is that the rings cover up the part of the iron sights. I can still see the iron cross on the end of the barrel but cannot see the other part of it. I believe with proactive that I can get proficient with not having the full iron sites but was hoping to avoid having to adjust the shot.

I am wondering if anyone has any Scope Rings they recommend to solve this or if the endeavor is just not worth my efforts.

Thanks All!

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Welcome ! You will find that most here do not like the see thru scope rings. My main objection is that they put the scope way too high over the axis of the bore. Like most compromises, both the use of the scope and the open sights suffer to allow both. I would opt for a good quality quick remove rings that attach/detach with levers. I have multiple guns, some scoped and some with peeps and choose my gun for my hunting style or area of the day. Another compromise. My best solution has been my 30AS 356 shorty with a 1-4X scope.
D9F237A2-B61A-4203-B546-9C22153E177B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
24,597 Posts
Personally,
I have always considered these see-thru rings as a belt-and-suspenders approach.
In other words, they are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
A 1-4 or similar optic can be used as close in as 40 yards, even on 4x.
But I don't be-grudge anybody for using them.
I just don't think they are necessary.
Glass has come a long way...I'd vote for giving a quality scope a chance.
You may just find it works fine for your needs.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have one set left that came to me on a Glenfield 30A. Just thought I'd leave one set up the way we saw a lot of them done in the '70s. I've always been able to see thru them, as in, they don't obstruct my view. You just don't get a solid cheek weld while using the scope.

You'll probably find that you can get a low powered scope on an animal as quickly as the iron sights once you are used to it.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

you will find that see thru bases will seriously reduce your field of view when trying to sight through them, making it slower to get on target--much more so than a scope would up to ,say 3x.

Also, see through rings are a lot higher than conventional rings. They will supply much more torque if the rifle is dropped or bumped, increasing the chances of snapping the mounting screws into the receiver. That's in addition to the necessarily higher head position required.

Personally, I would rather go with quick detachable rings of some sort, if I felt the necessity for iron sights.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Welcome from Kansas. Low power variable scopes work best for me as I shoot with both eyes open. With a low power scope I mount the gun and have the same cheek weld on the stock whether its a close fast shot or a slower distance shot. I had a gun with see through rings in the 70's and could never achieve the performance I wanted.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
To answer your question... Weaver see-thru scope mounts. But keep in mind, see-thru scope mounts are not for everyone. They are solid, but I could not get a good cheek-weld.
My friend has them on his rifle and loves them. I've seen them on other guy's rifles while at the shooting range. so who knows, you may like them.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
As you can see, the purist really hate them but I have a 1980 336 that came with the see-thru rings and I left them on. The one thing I really like about them is that you don't that stupid hammer spur on there, I hate those things more than the high scope mount.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Greetings
We have always removed ours when bought on a rifle. Makes the scope sit way to high. With a 444 or 45-70 that stock is going to slap you one good wallop.
Had a Marlin 336 in 32 Special with the "Tip off" mounts. Spring clips held the scope in place but for a close shot it was easy to pivot scope on the hinges off to the side. Weaver made them and I see them for sale off and on. To me a much better solution if you want that.
But a 1.5x4 (or so) adjustable scope will easily do all you need on a lever rifle.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Another solution is to mount a rail on the rifle and mount a low power scout scope. Quick to aim for close shots and some magnification for the longer shots.

Padraig

·
Registered
130 Posts
Properly mounted, even a decent 4x scope works to 10-15 feet, a good 1-4 to 2-7 changes things. All this business about scopes failing, being unusable at close range, or too slow comes from the 60's. All those 3/4" 22 scopes were and are miserable to use, most of the inexpensive 60's scopes were also unreliable. A good recently manufactured scope by Burris, Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell... are far different than the scopes the 'old-timers' whine about. I was there in the 60's and have heard the same 'stuff' from my 'mentors' until they passed I was/am the 'old guy'.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts