Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Selling to California.

We need a Sticky on how to sell to sell to California. I am not talking about opinions, but what the real legal implications and hurtles are. I am not the guy for this, but am interested. So guys share the "Facts"
Thanks
Amos

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
16,869 Posts
We're going to sticky this thread and leave it open for discussion. What you guys and gals have to do is render real honest to goodness facts here. Things like state law, federal law, antique, collectables, shipping ammo, most anything that we deal with when selling gun related items to folks in California. IT MUST BE FACTUAL! Posting of good links is alright, what we don't want is "I won't ship there cause it's a pia", "I heard tell from aunt Jane, uncle Fred said it was lots of BS" Statements like that will be erased and repeated violators will be contacted one way or another. CLEAR? Have at it and remember that you are setting up rules for the benefit of others....and the brothers and sisters in California that want to join in the fun. Thank you and good luck!! Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
And, I say again, when the FFL in California, accepting the firearm for a buyer, requires it to be shipped from an FFL on the seller's side this is the reason it becomes an ordeal. I suppose we could all say that we won't sell to a California buyer whose FFL requires a firearm be sent by an FFL only, but that hurts the buyer. It takes no less than 2-3 weeks to get the paperwork required and firearm sent, when the accepting FFL in California insists that be done.

Both firearms I sold/traded through this site to Ca. buyers had to be sent from an FFL on my end. These are the only sales/trade I have ever needed to do this with of the two dozen or so sales I have transferred out of state.

·
Super Moderator
16,869 Posts
Maybe we can get some guys out there in California to get some FFL input, what better info than from the horses mouth? Remember this posting is all about being helpful for all who come to MarlinOwners, things have changed over time but OUR CORE is knowledge and willingness to help others.

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Here's what I can put into the conversation from the two FFL holders I deal with.

FFL #1 (half an hour away)
Will accept delivery from an FFL, or from an individual with only a copy of the drivers license.
Will only send a copy of his FFL to another FFL, will NOT send it to an individual.
Will accept delivery of ammo for me, if seller won't send it to me directly.

FFL #2 (two hours away)
Accepts delivery from FFL and individuals, and is happy to send a copy of his FFL to anyone.
Is very busy. In addition to a two hour drive, it is sometimes a two hour wait.

As far as I can tell, individuals are not required to obtain a copy of the FFL for their records, but so far, everybody wants it, so I often use FFL holder #2.

The out of state (non California) FFL must have already done his paperwork to be registered to sell to California.
The individual needs a copy of his Drivers License.

Also, Cabela's and about half of the ammo manufacturers will ship to me, Midway and another bunch will not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't intend to start a whole conversation with my first post. Sorry guys. I meant to give the seller a bump, not a headache.

That said, I deal with an FFL who accepts shipments from individuals or FFLs anywhere in the country, and doesn't mind sending his FFL to anyone. I've done business with him in- and out-of-state, and never had a problem.

There are a few online ammo retailers who won't ship to me. Midway is one of them; I buy most of my ammo through Grafs, local gun shows, or on trips to Reno.

[edit]: I've contacted my FFL to get clarification on whether an out-of-state FFL needs a CA authorization number to do business in the state.

[edit #2]: Heard back. CA FFLs require a CA authorization number when receiving from another FFL. My particular FFL usually deals with that for me, but others might not.

·
Super Moderator
16,869 Posts
It's why we exist, because we are all hungry for info. Since you live there and I see you have contacted at least one FFl, can he provide you with more info? Any and all good info is wanted for this purpose. Mr fixit

·
Registered
380 Posts
I sold a T/C Benchmark to a man in California a while back. It was no different than any other rifle I have sold to someone in a different state. I made it clear that I wanted a copy of the FFL license, his FFL dealer wanted a copy of my drivers license. I got
my money to feed another addiction, the guy got the rifle he wanted.
FM

·
Registered
309 Posts
I will try and provide more info later - but saw this thread and wanted to post my experience

I have bought (more than one) lever gun from out of state - no problem - my FFL deals with their FFL or them personally

I think he charges about $60 (which includes the states mandatory fees etc - so he actually charges about $30 to recieve the gun and hold it etc)

It is actually very easy to purchase from out of state ----- it is a shame that so many people just say they will not sell to California...

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I don't know about shipping firearms to Ca, but I have found ammo (.38 short colt) my brother in Ca. needed and shipped it Fed-Ex with no problems. They do charge you "hazmat" rates because its ammo. It went right to his door.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Poeple think that no sale to California is a way of showing there stance against the Laws that we the minority have been subjected to. We in Calif hate the laws but are stuck here be it for family or other reasons .I am a veteran and sick of the Calif Bashing
And, I'm curious as to what your response to the MANY Ca FFLs that require sellers to go through extra gyrations and costs then??

I am also a veteran and LOVE my brothers, but have a problem with buyers' FFLs that make me jump thru hoops. Maybe, being from Ca, where u simply "receive" that makes no difference to you??
:vollkommenauf:

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Please keep this thread use dedicated to facts of selling to California. This is here to help people know the real steps required.
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like flynmoose1 said. Photocopy your license, put it in the box, send it to the buyer's FFL. If the CA FFL wants more, he's wrong. He's being overly cautious. California is pretty much the same as any other state.

THAT IS, if you are a private seller. IF, you're a dealer, it's another matter and that's where all the push back has come from. If you're a dealer from another state, CA wants you to register with them so they can track excess sales. It's a 5 minute deal that can be done totally online.

I'm not a FFL but this has been explained to me by both of the FFL's that I deal with. Both of them have told me they would be happy to walk any out of state dealers through the process.

Bottom line, if you're not a dealer, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My FFL here in California has received several firearms for me from out of state so I do have some recent experience.

As has already been stated, only firearms shipped from an FFL have to jump thru the hoops to get permission from the State of California to ship a firearm to California. The only way to do this is online and the very first step in the shippers process is entering their FFL number. Point being, a private party couldn't get "official permission" if they wanted to because they can't get past step one of the online process.

The problem is, most gun stores, at least here in California, are worse than used car lots as far as price gouging. My experience is that the dealers that require something to be shipped from an FFL are also the same ones that want to charge $100+ fee to receive a gun. I think it's their way to make you rethink their over priced inventory. Combine that with general ignorance/paranoia and it's a problem.

Bottom line is that private individuals are only obligated to obey Federal laws and their own State and local laws.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My FFL receives from FFL only with a "California letter". I pay them a 50$ fee plus ca sales tax on the entire sale amount. Pay the dros fee. Wait 10 days. I have done it several times. It has made buying here almost impossible though.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.