Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my experience today.

I had a Marlin 336A-35 Rem 1952 model for sale. Fellow from California contacted me privately. I agreeded to sell.

First problem was the FFL information included the California requirement to apply for and add a California Firearms Shipment Approval Number. Much discovering and that is for FFL to FFL. Both of my local FFL dealers gave me a definition of, "no" and "Hell No". They will not ship to California. End of discussion.

My take there is it's a problem that might compromise their FFL's.

Anyhow you can ship a rifle to California without shipping coming out of an FFL. I went to multiple local UPS and Fed Ex stores. No way.

Each sent me to different major shipping centers. UPS central office sent me to a place that would not do it and wanted me to go pretty far to a distribution center. Fed Ex sent me to a "World Center" 25 miles away. I went there.

You can do it. Only issue then is the way they ship and the price. Seems a private individual shipping to California can only do overnight priority air mail. $146.

I cancelled the sale.

My experience tells me to forget sales to California. Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I found out today. You figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
My LGS shipped one to CA for me without hesitation. The difference may be in the LGS' desire to do what it takes to ship it. There is an extra step required but if the LGS is familiar with it there is no big deal. Of course my LGS had been in business for over 35 years. It's hard to slip something new in on them. Plus they keep the fed and states gun reg bible right on the counter for reference.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.

The "extra step" is applying for and obtaining that California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) Shipment Number. I have the contacts and paperwork to do just that. Both of my local gun shops ( actually FFL holders that do gunsmithing) flat out refused to get involved. IF they had cooperated, the shipping would have been normal ground and the prices reasonable.

I recently had one of those shops ship a rifle to an FFL in Missouri for $40 with no issues.

When you do not know gun shops personally that will cooperate, it's quite an obstacle to ship to California. No clue what an FFL shop would charge for the paperwork involved. That might be another issue?

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Look under federal regulations on antique or collectible firearms. Especially concerning shipping them. That may surprise you, concerning California. UPS will ship antique parts. Your 1952 is an antique and collectible.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swany,

Was told the same by a local UPS shipper. On the other hand, they would not take a gun shipment.

Hunter,

Might be, but I could not find anyone to actually ship it. Never tried the USPS and bet that FFL place would have accepted the shipment as they sent me ideas. I cancelled the sale and explained everything to the buyer.

Anyhow...I have yet to re-list the 336A for sale. Kind of "happily stuck" with it. It's a myth that nice old Marlins are real desirable. It's also NOT a myth that shipping to California is easy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It is true an out of California State FFL has to apply for a permit to ship to California and I think most of them resist because it costs them 30 bucks or so. If they dont ship to California often it just is too expensive. But as has been pointed out a non FFL can do it with no problem as long as he is shipping TO and FFL. He just has to have a copy of the FFL's license he is shipping to and present it to UPS or FED EX. Long guns do not have to be shipped overnight. That is only for handguns.

I have shipped and been shipped to at least 8 rifles in the last three years, 3 of them in the last six months and know this to be true. It seems you might have been dealing with some UPS or FX people who do not know their company policy. This did happen to me at UPS a couple of years ago. I insisted on talking to the manager and the employee was corrected. Also you do have to go to a larger shipping center. The "Mail Box" type stores that handel UPS or FX cannot do the shipping.

Its unfortunate you had so much trouble with your sale. Did you have a copy of the FFL's license on this end? Sometimes I wonder if some of these rules are made up by local managers because they are anti gun. I know for a fact it is NOT company policy for either UPS or FX.

Thanks for trying as hard as you did.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HunterJ50 --- You are correct.

The problem rose when agents would not accept my shipment. Then a major shipping central outlet made it quite clear to me they would only ship if I paid them $146. They told me they had to "control" and secure the rifle while there, get it to the airport, fly it out immediately and account for it's delivery presence continually. They would NOT ground ship from a non-FFL induvidual.

Yes, they would ship. The issue there is the cost. Heck a 1952 Marlin 336A in 35 Rem that's "like new" is not an easy sell and certainly not worth adding $146 for a ripoff shipping fee.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Swany,

Was told the same by a local UPS shipper. On the other hand, they would not take a gun shipment.

Hunter,

Might be, but I could not find anyone to actually ship it. Never tried the USPS and bet that FFL place would have accepted the shipment as they sent me ideas. I cancelled the sale and explained everything to the buyer.

Anyhow...I have yet to re-list the 336A for sale. Kind of "happily stuck" with it. It's a myth that nice old Marlins are real desirable. It's also NOT a myth that shipping to California is easy.
I find that they are mostly desirable when I buy them not when I sell them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
HunterJ50 --- You are correct.

The problem rose when agents would not accept my shipment. Then a major shipping central outlet made it quite clear to me they would only ship if I paid them $146. They told me they had to "control" and secure the rifle while there, get it to the airport, fly it out immediately and account for it's delivery presence continually. They would NOT ground ship from a non-FFL induvidual.

Yes, they would ship. The issue there is the cost. Heck a 1952 Marlin 336A in 35 Rem that's "like new" is not an easy sell and certainly not worth adding $146 for a ripoff shipping fee.
For some reason they were quoting you the exact regulations for shipping handguns not rifles. I have no idea why the idiots were doing that other than a misunderstanding of the regulations.

The gun laws in California are way out of line and difficult enough without the uninformed making it harder. If I could make a living in another state I would go but getting too old to start over now.

Surprising to me you can also ship via good old US mail. I just found this USPS regulation regarding the shipment of firearms. Scroll down to item 12.2 (its a pretty long scroll near the bottom of the page) and it seems pretty straight forward.

DMM 601 Mailability

Anyway, thanks for trying as hard as you did.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a huge document and I am overdue at the rifle range. Will check it later. Seems many of us forget the Post Office when considering a shipping option.

All this information is good for others to muse over before shipping. If it has value, that's it. Also need to thank the moderators for allowing it to stay as I neglected to get clearance for the post in the first place.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It is long and I didn't mean to read the whole thing. If you scroll down to item 12.2 that pertains to rifles. Have a great time at the range!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have shipped two rifles to folks in California without any problems whatsoever. All I needed was a copy of the buyers FFL, took it and the rifle to the post office, and away it went. It was just that simple and I am not a FFL holder.
T-Roy,
Thanks for stating the facts clearly. Perhaps it should be in Capitol letters to sink into all the ignorant people who won't sell to Calif. Getting pretty sick and tired of locating a gun on the web, only to find out that the seller has stated "no sales to Calif". It is crap if you ask me.
Thanks I feel better.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Being from California, (originally), I have the same feeling---I won't deal with selling anything to that state. They have so many less than ideal laws, not only about guns, but cars, light bulbs and printed circuit boards, that it just makes you shake your head say "I give up." Real glad I left there 24 years ago.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
In the not to far past I use to sell a firearm at 9:00 am, box it up & ship it out on Greyhound or Trailways bus lines (no questions asked) and most times it could be picked-up the SAME day at the freight counter in a city up to 4-500 miles. Not even sure if buses exist anymore, never see them but they did serve a purpose whether it was passenger or freight at one time.

Reactions: Mckmain80
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.