Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 338 ME last January or February & shot it for the first time this evening. I am very impressed! At about 35 yds., it only took 4 shots with adjustments to be nearly dead center in the bullseye. Went back to about 80 yds. & 6 shots later was hitting at the top of the bullseye which is about 1 1/2" high from dead center & very close to where I want it to be.

I was using the Hornady bullets.

I was aware of the barrel "droop" problem when I got this gun so I looked it over at the time of purchase & everything looked fine but it's great to have it confirmed by performance.

The only slight concern I had is that it cycled quite hard the first couple of times but was fine after that.

Some of you may be wondering so I'll throw this in... It is a North Haven CT produced gun with the "JM" proof mark & the serial number starts with 910. The fit & finish are very good & the wood is beautiful.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Congratulations on one of the best rifle/cartridge combos available today. Glad it's what you were hoping it would be. DP

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
Congrats on getting what seems to be one of the few newer Marlins that does not have some type of problem that requires the gun to be sent back for repair!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Enjoy as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Now you have it fine, just enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Congrats on your rifle. Wait until you finish sighting her in and shoot at 300+ yards. You'll be amazed at what a lever gun can do. After she's completely tuned in make sure you shoot with someone that has a bolt action rifle :).

·
Registered
153 Posts
You will love your new rifle. I also have the 338 MX as well as the 308 MXLR and of course the 45/70 XLR. Love them all and really don't have a favorite. Have not taken any game with the 338 but have a lot of range time and it is a sweet rifle to shoot. The 45/70 is my go to rifle if I go hunting where something might bite back, my nephews call it an elephant gun but I know I won't be lunch for mister grizzly if he shows up. Now go out and get yourself a 45/70 so the 338 does not get lonely. You will really enjoy your 338.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts