Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I remove the bolt from my new 1894, the sharp ends of the bolt draw blood. Is there a safe way to take the sharp points off?

Red arrows point to sharp ends.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My 1894SS did the same thing, the points were razor sharp. I used my Dremel with an abrasive rubber wheel and rounded them off. Anything will work, file, sandpaper, whetstone. Smooth it however you want, then you may have to touch up the bluing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A stone followed by some very fine wet/dry emery 600 grit or so and a dab of cold blue to touch up the blueing should do the trick.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was thinking emery cloth, or sand paper, but wanted to see what others were doing. I’m not good with a Dremel and don’t have anything that resembles an abrasive rubber wheel, so I’ll pass on using the Dremel. Never thought of using a stone. Think I’ll start with a fine file, then some 600 grit paper, then maybe finish it with a stone. Never used any cold blue before, but I think that’s something I can actually get from the LGS. Gives me an excuse to go look at some guns. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Yeah they're sharp alright, keep ya hands away from them.

Mark.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I know if the gun failed on me in an SD situation, I could just stab them with the bolt. :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
A file would be too much of a stretch for me. I would use fine sandpaper as a first step. I had the same problem on mine and it didn't take much to solve the problem.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
567 Posts
All the above will work just fine.

Alot of the edges on an 1894 are sharp and can cut ya.

One of the sharpest areas on the Marlin 1894 is when you remove the floor plate section and discover that both sides of bottom edges of the receiver will cut you right smart like when you are trying to clean out the inside of the receiver.

I dull all those edges with 600 grit paper just enough where I can slide my finger along the edges and not get cut.

..........Widder

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some pretty fine files, finer than a fingernail file, but I might just start with some 600 grit emery cloth. There are a lot of sharp edges on this gun. The gun is off to Marlin to fix a timing issue with the carrier, but when I get it back and have a few rounds thru it, I’m going to fix a whole bunch of sharp edges.

·
Registered
567 Posts
wingspar:

I hope you have a good experience with 'Remington' in getting your Marlin rifle fixed.

I hope they're getting their act together.

..........Widder

·
Super Moderator
11,769 Posts
Sharpening stone. I have a small pocket Arkansas stone from Smith that I use for this purpose.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wingspar:

I hope you have a good experience with 'Remington' in getting your Marlin rifle fixed.

I hope they're getting their act together.

..........Widder
It went to an independent company in Portland, OR. I hope they don’t mess it up. They’ve had it for a week and a half now, and I’ve heard nothing, and I doubt I have any way of finding out the status of the gun. They are supposed to send me an email when they ship it, and I’m supposed to get it back within 2 to 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
+1 BubbaJon.
I use the Same or a Small Fine India Stone on All My Guns to Soften & Sooth Sharp or Rough Edges.
A File may be a little Too Agressive IMHO.
Saves a Lot of Wear & Tear in the Fingers.
UncleSarge58

1 - 13 of 13 Posts