Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All: I have been reading today and am now very curious. Please help me with some answers.
1. I have had a factory new model 60sn for about a month having purchased it at Cabelas. How can I determine the manufacture age of this weapon?
2. I have seen online that Marlin had closed its New Haven facility. Is this where the model 60's are (?were) produced?
3. I registered it with Marlin. I am assuming the warranty is good. If it needs repairs, who will service it if Marlin is no longer responsible?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi All: I have been reading today and am now very curious. Please help me with some answers.
1. I have had a factory new model 60sn for about a month having purchased it at Cabelas. How can I determine the manufacture age of this weapon?
2. I have seen online that Marlin had closed its New Haven facility. Is this where the model 60's are (?were) produced?
3. I registered it with Marlin. I am assuming the warranty is good. If it needs repairs, who will service it if Marlin is no longer responsible?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.
Remington bought Marlin a few years back.

They kept the line and name. The warranty will be fine and the gun (IF any problems) would go to them maybe in Troy NY. I am not sure but contact them for particulars.

If your gun is older then say five years, yes it was likely produced in North haven CT.

CW

BTW: Its not a ''weapon'' unless you use it as such. Its a firearm. (lil rant over. ;) )

Reactions: oldfart64

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea how I can check on production age from serial number

BTW thanks for the wonderful info

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it was but the box is at my daughters house (we are slap out of storage place for boxes, but I am not about to throw it away) and I think the serial number if I recall correctly was all numbers on the rifle.

thanks a million for your info.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
A firearm is not a weapon, unless you use it as such.

The only part Ive replaced on my 1979 model 60 is the recoil spring, I bought 3, now I have two spares which will last the rest of my days

Reactions: oldfart64

·
Super Moderator
16,878 Posts
If your firearm has all numbers, subtract the first two digits from 2000 or 2100 to get the YOM. I put in 2100 because if you subtract let's say 89 from 2000 you get 1911 and your firearms isn't that old, but it could be made in 2011 ...2100 - 89= 2011. this is the dating procedure for our Marlins, if the serial number had letters at the beginning it's made by Remington under the Marlin name. Seems Remington didn't like things simple, so they have put their screwy number system in place. Here's a link to the Reference Library, found about 5/8ths the way down the index, where you'll find all kinds of good solid info. Take some time and do some reading, quite fascinating stuff! Hope this helps! Mr fixit
Reference Library.. Please do not post in this section without moderator approval.

I
would add that some earlier Marlins did have a letter, you can find out which in the forum I cited.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Mr. fixit, it has MM at the start and I think followed by 1287, where can I find out the magic sauce of the aging of this reming tom produced product?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.