Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Predatory creeps deliberately choose victims they determine to be vulnerable. Vulnerability could be:
1 Being alone
2 Being female
3 Being unarmed
4 Being in a remote location
5 Being diminutive in size
6 Exhibiting a meek or retreating nature
7 Being predictably and repeatedly available
8 Being otherwise unable to resist
9 Being distant from immediate law enforcement assistance
10 Being elderly
Some of those you can change, some you can't. CHANGE AS MANY AS YOU CAN, AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN. NOTIFY WHATEVER LEOs YOU HAVE AVAILABLE OF WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Young lady,

I am truly distressed about the extreme discomfort you had to endure that night. I have always hated/loathed those that would threaten or intimidate someone, especially a woman. Me thinks you have learned a valuable lesson for sure and I do hope you are not presented with any further type of said behavior. Retro gave you some very good advice.

Thanks for sharing,

Dave

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points, Retro, and some that I hadn't considered before. Thanks.

I probably hit all ten except for these three:

{Quote] 6 Exhibiting a meek or retreating nature
And that's debatable, I'm pretty quiet and not outgoing.

10 Being elderly
Not quite but getting there fast, I think, after last week.

Being predictably and repeatedly available
They'd never been around before but I can see that point very well.

I am supposed to hve security when I am there alone at night but the xecurity guard likes his whiskey way too much.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Take a handgun course and get your CCW permit and never be caught unarmed in a situation like this again. A person may think they will never face a situation that they will have to defend themselves but it happens all to often. :wink:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nighttrain, you'r e right. I was thinking that sort of thing wasn't an option because I would have to keep the gun locked up or unloaded. BUT--I am supposed to have an armed security guard (basically just a guy with a gun in case this sort of thing happens. Since he can't do his job because of his inebriation, I think I have every right to have some form of self protection within easy reach.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you keep it in your purse out of sight and don't tell anyone who is going to know? :wink: I think I would also say something about the drunken security guard also.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
you are your own protection.. you can't depend on anyone else.. get the course , get the handgun, and don't tell anyone you have done either..

·
Registered
932 Posts
You are absolutely correct GJ. Take the advice TTT, carry your gun and let know one know you have it until you need it. Alaska doesn't require a permit to do so. Remember the old saying: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-A question I would ask myself Miss Tundra. How many attacks or roberies do police prevent? They are around to find the folks who have already done the harm. The clean up crew so to speak. Cops don't prevent crime they solve it. You are responsible for your own protection. Popular prapaganda would like folks to think otherwise but some thought and reading some news will verify my point. A bad guy normally doesn't let the good guy call 911 and even if they are considerate bad guys and do allow this they can do thier damage and be gone by the time the cleanup crew arrives. Our police are very good at catching them though. YOU protect yourself and part of that includes knowing exactly how and when to do it. Live is good, BestLever

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your replies and advice; it certainly was appreciated..

For now, I simply need to refuse to be alone there. I've pretty much told them that I'm no londger available for evening work

And though I've been taking my dog with me and it's nice to have his company---and he certainly is intimidating enough--

I need to do some further research on personal firearms. My main issue right now is that my right arm has become so messed up that I can't even wear my watch without pain, so I need to find something very lightweight and with the least amount of recoil.

There aren't any firearms safety classes available in my area but ther are plenty of nice male persons who can help---

all I know is I can't go through this again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I missed what started this post TTL but...

You live in AK right?

"A permit to carry a concealed handgun is not necessary in Alaska, but permits are available to those who want to carry in states that recognize Alaska permits."

"Any person 21 years of age or older may carry a handgun concealed on their person provided that, when contacted by a police officer, informs the officer of that possession and allows the police officer to secure the handgun for the duration of that contact. "

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ed, the only reason I edited it out was because I felt like I'd put too much information in the post...I got some good answers and think these guys are right...basically I had a situation at work in which I was very frightened and it's not something my nerves can go through again.

Are you still moving up here? I've got something interesting for ya about your line of work--I'll send you a PM :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts