Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why does my brake light keep coming on? It doesn't stay on, just comes on when I start my car. I have a cute lil Toyota I bought last year when I decided to sell my Mustang as part of an attempt to get rid of anything high maintainance in my life and I love my car but the brake light keeps coming on and that worries me.

·
Registered
670 Posts
RedB, Maybe one of the guys or other females can help 'cause I'm not sure. I guess it could be something small like a loose bulb or wiring?? What kind of Toyota if I may Ask? I have driven Camrys for the last 10 years. I had great luck with them.

Annabelle

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I am not sure , some of the new ones the brake has to be depressed to release the shifter into gear.. its possible the sender is just bad or sticking , or even made to work that way.. I know nothing of toyota's

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a lil Toyota Corolla--it's new enough so that I think it might just be something with the wiring--I hate going to the shop, such a bore. My Mustang practically lived in the shop....I miss that car, the power on the highway, but I'm not a car person and basically hate to drive anyway.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
It sounds like simple fix .. as long as not staying on, call them and ask them about it first.. :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Red...check your brake fluid or have someone you trust check it for you. Do you have an auto-zone or something similar there? Sometimes they are pretty nice about putting their disgnostic's machine on cars to see what's up. Some charge a small fee...some don't. Anna's right though too, could also be a short, even a bad fuse, if it has fuses. Need to know the year and engine that's in it kiddo, to get you a lil' more info. Until you know what the problem, DO NOT take your brakes for granted.

G

·
Red....its an adjustment on the switch on your emergency brake I'd guess...no big deal

goes off when ya start the car... or goes off when ya release the e-brake ?

there probably is a little warning light that goes on to indicate a low brake fluid reservoir ....where are you seeing the light ?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hopefully it will be something small. Do you have any friends who could check the wiring...doesAlaskan know about things such as that? My Camrys, although 4 cylinders, have always had great "pick-up"...good for me 'cause I have a heavy foot and I love to drive.

Annabelle

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alaskan, it's on that thing that has the lights on it that's in the same place as the gas gage and the speedometer are. It goes off when I start driving, and sometimes when I stop at a light or a stop sign it comes back on again. Thanks Anna, I'm sure it's something small like that.

G

·
Red......that sounds to me like its the low fluid indicator light for the brake fluid....do you know where the little resorvoir for the brake fluid is under the hood on the drivers side ? its usually transparent enough that you can see the fluid level....

·
Registered
60 Posts
OMG! :roll:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL. I know, Bigbore. It really is that bad. Well, mostly, anyway. I know what he means by the left side now though, so if I can only figure out how to open the hood....ok, where do I buy that brake fluid stuff?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Autozone, Red. And if your light is still on after you do that, you may need to reset the switch. Just unhook your battery for about 60 seconds and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know how old your Toyoto is but it could also be in the anti-lock braking system if it has one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts