Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in my first post about a 336A.

Well it's here and mostly I am delighted. What finish is missing is due to someone removing rust. Seems to have been stored badly and shot little.

Bore is shiney and the rifling is strong, but there are 4 rough spots that look like cobweb induced rust pitting. Won't know how bad that hurts accuracy until I get it cleaned up good and shoot it.

Next problem it will not load properly. first round goes in easy but after that they seem to bind and the action jams. These are factory loads to it should not be a OAL issue.

Finally and sadly it has way too many holes in the receiver. There are two for a peep sight and was going to install one anyway. There are four more on the side, that's right side, of the receiver for I guess a scope mount. I would like to scope it since it has all those holes but why would someone D&T the side of a flat top receiver?? Well if I can find a mount that uses those holes I guess I may scope it down the road.

So how old is this gun and what sort of things interfere with proper loading?

Thanks In Advance

Brian

·
Registered
101 Posts
E=1948, The first year of the 336. As far as loading problems, are you talking about cycling the action, using the lever to take a round from the magazine and to the chamber? I had a problem with one of my 1953 336SC's. When I cycled the action the spent case would eject O.K., but the next round from the magazine would not enter the chamber,- it would hang up. It did not do this all the time, but enough to know something was wrong. I took it to a gunsmith, and it was determined that the entrance to the chamber was to sharp, it was cutting into the end of the bullet. You could see a mark on the tip of the bullet, when the gun failed to cycle correctly. The smith took the barrel off the gun and put it in a lathe to lightly chamfer the end of the barrel (entrance to chamber). Have not had a problem since. Hope this helps. Landngroove.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well first things first. I took it apart last night and the carrier has been brazed. there is some brass build up that has been shaped and the carrier has some very sharp edges. Two things happen one it is not possible to get three rounds in the chamber. Even with the half mag I expect it to hold 4 any way. The last of three binds up. Also the mag spring is bad and well I have a new carrier and mag spring on order. If I still have trouble with that I'll go from there.

I managed to get to the clay pit for about 15 rounds before dark set in. I had some concerns because of bore pitting. I pulled up and set my target out stepped off the distance back to the truck. 44 steps. I shot a group jsut under 3/4" wide and under 1 1/2" long using two different factory loads. 3 of one and 5 of the other. All the loaded ammo I had. Better conditions and rest + its favorite load and oh man do I have a shooter!! Shot so well considering I did not even mind having to single load it to shoot.

Thanks for the help, and letting me brag. Wouldn't it be great if it was shooting near that well 58 more years down the road? Hope my grand kids [if I ever have any] like shooting.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts