Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my first 2 Marlin leveractions in Sept. of 2009, one was a 336SS (#9120xxxx) and a 1894CSS (#9120xxxx). Actually I have nothing to complain about on either of these guns. Both have been completely disassembled and inspected; both are great shooters. I understand that from the serial numbers both of these guns were made in 2009. What I was wondering was where did the production of these rifles fall in the time line of the news that Marlin was closing their Conn. plant and the reported decline in the quality of the remaining production out of Conn. ( I was told by some gun dealers that the last rifles coming out of Marlin's Conn. plant were of terrible quality probably due to a very pissed off work force that was about to be laid off). Since I was infected with Marlinitis I have purchased several older Marlins. I have seen a couple of the new Marlins coming out of Remington and I can say every thing bad I've heard about them is true. I guess what I'm asking is what is the serial number cut off of Marlins with a JM proof mark on the barrel beyond which you should not consider buying?

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
My Toy said:
I purchased my first 2 Marlin leveractions in Sept. of 2009, one was a 336SS (#9120xxxx) and a 1894CSS (#9120xxxx). Actually I have nothing to complain about on either of these guns. Both have been completely disassembled and inspected; both are great shooters. I understand that from the serial numbers both of these guns were made in 2009. What I was wondering was where did the production of these rifles fall in the time line of the news that Marlin was closing their Conn. plant and the reported decline in the quality of the remaining production out of Conn. ( I was told by some gun dealers that the last rifles coming out of Marlin's Conn. plant were of terrible quality probably due to a very pissed off work force that was about to be laid off). Since I was infected with Marlinitis I have purchased several older Marlins. I have seen a couple of the new Marlins coming out of Remington and I can say every thing bad I've heard about them is true. I guess what I'm asking is what is the serial number cut off of Marlins with a JM proof mark on the barrel beyond which you should not consider buying?
MOST Gun Dealers (Clerks) don't know what they're talking about..................Particularly, when talking about the demise of Marlin.

The quality started to slide when remington instituted a "Toyota Style" Assembly Cell, and that happened in 2009.........If I recall, the 336 Cell started running in June 2009.
Intead of one technician building the complete rifle, the "Cell" layout required 6 technicians to build one rifle EVERY 135 seconds!........If a tech had problems with his assigned task, he either "muscled" it, or had to put it aside........If he put too many aside, he was told he couldn't do the job correctly.......A job he had done fine, for years!..If he needed to use the latrine, he couldn't leave his station until someone else stepped in, to cover his position.....If there was a parts shortage, all the workers were sent home......How do you support a family with that kind of BS?

Can you take parts that have never been fit together, and assemble them into a quality rifle in that time??.......I think Not..............The remington goal was "More product, faster and cheaper, with less workers"

If your 2009 rifles are correct and meet your standards, thats great!...........you are luckier than others.............

Re: Pissed off workers?????...........Simply NOT true!........Those workers may have been pissed, at what remington was doing to Marlin, but they still wanted the end customer to have a good rifle, when they opened the box.

Those workers, and all Marlin workers had a lot of pride in their jobs..........Right up to their LAST day............I knew every one of those workers, and I'd stand with those workers........long before I'd listen to anything, some part time "Gun Clerk" had to say!

Some of the last North Haven rifles may have been lacking quality, but remington made them that way.............

Tom

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
32 Posts
The so called Toyota Style Cell, has been a ruination of a lot of production in our country. The Japs screwed us again. Just before they closed a rubber plant where I had worked for years, we had a meeting with a representitive from Toyota Kentucky. His big speel about quality was the,"Andon". Supposedly a rope hanging along the assembly area where anyone who spotted a quality problem could pull the rope and everything stopped. Imagine how long you would last as an employee if you pulled the rope too many times. I am really glad that the Marlin I found new in the box was one my dealer had on a shelf in the back room for a while. I imagine if a person would do a search of the small gun shops he could find some still hanging around but not in the big box stores. Quick

·
Registered
901 Posts
My Toy said:
What I was wondering was where did the production of these rifles fall in the time line of the news that Marlin was closing their Conn. plant and the reported decline in the quality of the remaining production out of Conn. ( I was told by some gun dealers that the last rifles coming out of Marlin's Conn. plant were of terrible quality probably due to a very pissed off work force that was about to be laid off).
I really wish the B_ _ _S_ _ _ that these Gun Dealers, Media People, and Bloggers that talk out of their A _ _; who were not there during the entire YEAR that we knew we were being TERMINATED to witness the PROFESSIONALISM that took place all that time up until the Final Day of being Marlin Firearms Company Employees; would just stop already with the misinformation.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I have 3 of those 2009 rifles and they are all great shooters and look great. I had a MARLIN FEED issue with one 1894CSS but got it resolved with the help of all you PISSED OFF MARLIN EMPLOYEES! I have gotten to know THE TRUTH about Marlin and Remington by talking with you guys and I correct people all the time when I hear that same talk at gun shows or dealers who do not know what they are talking about. Both my favorite gun shops locally know what happened and they also blame Remington and Freedom Group/CEBERUS for the quality issues of DPMS, BUSHMASTER, REMINGTON, H&R, and MARLIN - - all companies that were purchased by Ceberus for their Freedom Group.

The real quality issues you need to look for are when everything was moved to Ilion New York. That is where they are trying to build BUSHMASTER, H&R, REMINGTON AND MARLIN RIFLES ALL IN THE SAME PLANT! If you had any experience at all in manufacturing and production lines you would know that is an impossible task to ask the $10 and hour employees they pulled off the streets to build these rifles and to perform with any quality.

GB45

1 - 5 of 5 Posts