Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial number cut off for "Marlin Factory" rifles?

I have read several bad things about the new "Remlin" rifles that are being made right now. I do not know how accurate they are, but if I am looking at a used Marlin, I would like to know if it was made in the Marlin Factory or Remington.

Anyone have from rough idea what the cut offs my have been serial number wise? Are my concerns about new production Marlins justified?

Located a Marlin 35 Remington listed in 95% condition for $320. SN# 2135XXXX. I am trying to date it. Does that seem to be a good price to you guys?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Re: Serial number cut off for "Marlin Factory" rifles?

Looks like a 1979. you just take 100- the first two letters in the serial number for most cases. Seems like a good price to me

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts

From the Reference Library section ... http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,495.0.html

As far as "good price" goes, I believe it's relative to the area and the buyer. The .35 Rem Marlin is special in my opinion and I would pay more for a Marlin in this caliber. The same rifle offered for sale in 10 different areas of the USA will probably have 10 different "sold" prices. With the present situation of uncertainty concerning NY bred Marlins (read the Marlin Rant section), if I liked the $325 .35 Rem you are looking at, I'd offer somewhere around $250 to show the seller I am interested in a deal but value it less than he does (naturally.) You just might get it for $275-$300 and that might be a good deal for you.

bjm

·
Registered
480 Posts

Although each firearm must be check [ see Tom Rays post above in stickeys] Remington made the deal to acquire Marlin Dec 2007 However gunsmiths have indicated the decline started about 2 years prior . I personally will not buy one
unless its made 2005 or before . Just my 2 cents which is what its worth. LOL

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

There was a gradual transition period from the time Remington purchased the gun works in 2007 until major quality issues began to be encountered my the shooting public; but it seems that sometime during 2009 was when things got really bad with droopy barrels, and slow customer repair issues. Tomray, a former employee, has discussed some of the manufacturing changes forced on the people involved in production and into the product line after the Remington takeover. At any rate, I purchased a new 2007 vintage 308MX; and a new 2009 vintage 338MX; and both are wonderful rifles. My thinking is that anything with a later date than 2007 should be considered very carefully, and even avoided if you don't know what kinds of flaws to look for; but don't be fooled into thinking that all Marlin rifles produced under Remington ownership are to be avoided, as that is not the case.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

bigjeepman said:
From the Reference Library section ... http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,495.0.html

As far as "good price" goes, I believe it's relative to the area and the buyer. The .35 Rem Marlin is special in my opinion and I would pay more for a Marlin in this caliber. The same rifle offered for sale in 10 different areas of the USA will probably have 10 different "sold" prices. With the present situation of uncertainty concerning NY bred Marlins (read the Marlin Rant section), if I liked the $325 .35 Rem you are looking at, I'd offer somewhere around $250 to show the seller I am interested in a deal but value it less than he does (naturally.) You just might get it for $275-$300 and that might be a good deal for you.

bjm
This gunshop will not haggle over price at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts