Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello people, New to the forum and new to marlins also .
I was gifted this 1892 from a guy at work and have looked at pictures and have not seem this on any others. By the lever action to the aft of it is this spring looking hook thingy. Could someone enlighten me
to what it is,was or the intent. Its pointed and sharp. Maybe its not a model 1892 I was just looking at auction site with 1892 butt plates and mine is curved nicely here a pic of it also.Thanks you any help , p.s. i can take more pics just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Welcome from central Arkansas, there will be some Marlin experts here that will be able to give you the info you need. I am no expert, just a shooter.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome to THE Forum! That is an interesting piece you have there. Would love to see a few more pics, especially the imprinting on the barrel, which would give a better clue as to the ID of your firearm. Have fun with your investigation. We’ll all learn from your question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello people, New to the forum and new to marlins also .
I was gifted this 1892 from a guy at work and have looked at pictures and have not seem this on any others. By the lever action to the aft of it is this spring looking hook thingy. Could someone enlighten me
to what it is,was or the intent. Its pointed and sharp. Maybe its not a model 1892 I was just looking at auction site with 1892 butt plates and mine is curved nicely here a pic of it also.Thanks you any help , p.s. i can take more pics just let me know.
Welcome to THE Forum! That is an interesting piece you have there. Would love to see a few more pics, especially the imprinting on the barrel, which would give a better clue as to the ID of your firearm. Have fun with your investigation. We’ll all learn from your question.
the imprinting is hard to read on the barrel, there are 4 pat. dates nov 19 1878,apr 2 1889,aug 12 1890,mar 1 1892. if there is a caliber stamp i can't read it.
The rust was so heavy and dry, when i got it Friday I sprayed some penetrating oil on the rifle, what you see in the pictures is a brownish rusty mess hopefully I can stop the rusting . Inside looks pretty good thankfully.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I said I was new, I now realize that this forum is for new 1894 hmm silly me. Could some one direct me in the right direction .
Trying get some info. and rub shoulders with guys that know about model 1892. Thank you and sorry about posting in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm glad you posted here. Have you found any new information. It looks to me more like an 1889 which had a lever catch. Yours looks like a piece of the catch is missing. As to caliber you could measure the bore for starters. Many were chambered in pistol calibers at the time such as the. 44-40

·
Registered
867 Posts
LanceP it looks like you have a model 1892 in .22 cal. Some were made in .32 also.
I think yours was made before 1905 because the tang stamp was changed to read MODEL 92 after 1905.
The thumb screw on the right side of the receiver can be removed and the side taken off to get to the internals.
It's a cool older gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.