Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my SBL back today and it came back worse than it was when I sent it in the first time. To start with the stock to wood fit wasn't great but I figured its going back so might as well have them touch it up. They replaced the stock and it is about 3 shades darker than the forearm. To make things worse the fit is much worse than it was before. I could fit a dollar bill between the stock and receiver before and now I can fit a credit card. My main complaint originally was that the xs sight rail was crooked. It came back exactly the same. They say that they indexed the barrel but I don't see where they did anything. They did fix the problem of the lever sticking when I cycled it and they did get the scratch out of the barrel but that is all I can see they did. I called and told them I want a refund. they told me they are sending me a shipping label to send it back in. I told them I don't want it fixed I want a refund and they said that they will make a decision when they look at it. This is the second new rifle that I have sent back and need to send back again. I don't care what they say I want my money back. Anyone know a higher up executive I can call and write to voice my disgust to. Here are the pics.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
They gotta get a clue... :mad:...It offends me that they think we would accept such CRAPPY WORKMANSHIP!!!

A one handed blind man could build a better rifle than that!!!

Moving to the rant forum...

·
Registered
649 Posts
wow! :eek:

It's amazing to me that for as long as this stuff has been going on, and people have been complaining and sending rifles back, you would still get one sent back to you looking that messed up!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The problem is, WE (meaning us Marlin lovers) are all anal. Most people are not. Average Joe does not love Marlins as much as we do and to them that kind of workmanship is acceptable. The gun is just a tool and if it works, they don't care that there is a gap between the stock and the receiver. When you send it back and they work on it, they aren't trying to make it perfect. They are doing the minimum they can hoping you will take it and quit bothering them. There is no pride of workmanship like there was before. It's all about the dollars.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Doc, I know I'm Anal but it comes with age and being burned a few times. after this bad 338 MX deal i went threw, My advice to new gun buyers is don't be blined by the light! look that gun over REAL GOOD and if there is something that doesn't look right! don't buy it! a lot fo times I'm in a hurry ad don't take the time to look at what i'm buying and get home and find out there is something missing or it's damaged and it's my fault for not checking and in the case of my 338 mx I didn't look it over with a fine tooth comb and I shouldn't have had to but it tought Me a lesson and everyone should take the time to check out what ever Your buying and we wouldn't be kicking our selves. Ok anyway I'm going to learn from this :) Dennis

·
Registered
116 Posts
That stinks. Kind of like a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. I'm really sorry for your rifle and the aggravation you're being caused. There's no reason for it. I would definately do everything possible to get your money back! Best of luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think that most gun buyers expect a quality finish and functionality when purchasing a gun. I might forgive some cosmetic issues on a military rifle or a used rifle. If you were buying a new luxery car you wouldnt think that you would need to crawl under the chasis and go over it with a fine tooth comb. It should be that way with a rifle. For most of us it is a big expense.

·
Registered
100 Posts
skmarsh77 I sent a new SBL back about 3 months ago and after watching all the online distributors and dealers shelves fill up with new SBL's while mine laid in what has to be a huge pile of other junk guns belonging to other frustrated new customers I got tired and started calling asking for a full refund. I called everyday and explained that I did not feel that they were capable of building a rifle that I would want to own. I had to call everyday for for eleven days before they agreed to give me my money back. The check is supposed to be on it's way.
Just be persistent and firm. They will eventually give you back your money.

As far as a higher up executive that you can write to voice your disgust to. Why bother they won't care about you if they did these guns would never make it out of the factory door.

HEY REMINGTON... IF YOU READ THIS..... BUY YOUR PEOPLE SOME SCREWDRIVERS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
It's just so sad to see this kind of workmanship. I saw a close up of a Chiappa copy of a 1886 Winchester. It was nickel plated, had a wooden stock with rubber over covers on the stock and forend. It was in 45-70, and the workman ship, what do ya reckon? It was perfect, cycled soooo smoothly with a trigger to match. It is dearer in cost than a Marlin but oh so well made and finished. When I see quality like that it make you wonder about our love for fine firearms and Marlin in particular. I tell ya though, when I see something like that I am almost (that's almost) tempted to buy one of those instead.
If in the future and Marlin don't pick up their act I think I may have to go that way. To me it is sacrilige for me to be talking like this.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If it's the second rifle that you've sent back to them, why take it home to begin with?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered 2 rifles at the same time from 2 different places. One was the SBL and the other was a 336 BL The first to arrive was the 336. It was a JM stamped 91 series so I thought I was gonna be all set. When it arrived the sights were off center to the right. Everything else seemed fine. Not long after the SBL came in and this one had more issues. The lever would get stuck in the open position. The sight rail was crooked. The muzzle looked like it was never even crowned. The wood to metal fit was not great. the lever screw would not stay snug it kept backing out. And I think that was it. So I sent both in at same time. The 336 came back first. Looks like they just lined up the sight with each other. But when you look down the rifle from the recoil pad you can see that the everything in front of the receiver is twisted. They said they idexed the barrel but there is no way. All they guy did was make the sights line up with each other. Yesterday the SBL shows up and its a mess. Even worse than new. They got the scratch on the barrel out and fixed the lever hangup problem. The rest of the stuff they made worse. The crown looks like they took a file and knocked down the high spots. Its not even or smooth. As you can see the wood is terrible. The pictures don't show the color difference as bad as it looks in person. I showed it to the wife and didn't say anything but what is wrong with this picture and she noticed the difference right off the bat. The fit is terrible. Do they even have a file or any wood working tools. I've called and they are sending shipping labels for both. Once I send them out the calls will begin. I don't want them back. Still can't believe how bad they have gotten. This never would have happened at the old plant and its a real shame. I can't see how this move has made them any money at all. I would love to see how much money they have lost since the move.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For me this looks like buying a new Marlin is more risky then having a good used one from the time between 1970 and 1980. :-\
That's not the way to win the hearts of new customers! ::)

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Surprise, surprise, surprise, its been the same since the beginning and Remington is a pile of (&&**). They took a perfectly good company and now have taken it down, down, down. I will not buy any new Remmarlins I just keep looking and buying the old Marlin rifles prior to the sale. I keep hoping they will give up and sell Marlin to someone who cares as they don't certainly. Quote " All companies need to have engineers running the company because if you have accountants running the company it will go down quickly" Henry Ford said this and it is true that is about as close to the quote as I can remember, I will look for it and the put it on the forum. We know what Remington has running their company with.

"fk"

·
Registered
301 Posts
Truly, truly shocking…what did they do…build that in the fricken dark or something? Shameful! There is absolutely no excuse for sending a rifle out like that! :mad: I feel for you buddy! :'(

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Sadly, it's not just rifle quality that's been affected........apparently it's everything Remington has anything to do with, even other shooting products that bear their name. I ordered a pair of Remington's inside-the-ear sound attenuators (earplugs that shut off at loud noises) and had to send them back, one wouldn't shut off, the other wouldn't even come on!

I also had a similar experience at Cabela's with an 1895 SBL.......I wanted it badly, the price was right, I had the money........and I walked out of the store empty-handed. The barrel was improperly indexed, the wood-to-metal fit was horrendous, there were little scratches all over it (yet it was still in the box & plastic) and there were at least three edges that were sharp enough to draw blood.

I'm glad I have a vault already stuffed with Marlins........there will be ZERO new additions, unless they're vintage (i.e., NON-Ilion) guns. Mine eyes have seen the glory of a properly made levergun.......and Remington/Cerberus have no idea the damage they've done. At this point I consider it irreparable.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
papajohn said:
I'm glad I have a vault already stuffed with Marlins........there will be ZERO new additions, unless they're vintage (i.e., NON-Ilion) guns. Mine eyes have seen the glory of a properly made levergun.......and Remington/Cerberus have no idea the damage they've done. At this point I consider it irreparable.
I'm in the same boat with you PJ. I have handled quite a few new Marlins in the stores and shops around here and seen exactly zero rifles I would buy. It makes me sick, as if I needed help ::) but I have my own Marlins to enjoy the rest of my life. I just checked my Excel file and the "newest" Marlin I own is a 2003 CB Limited 1894 CB .357 with a 24" barrel. The others date back to 1951 and all are fine rifles with few issues.

I am very happy with my family of Marlins but I sure feel for those new gun lovers trying to get into the world of Marlins.

bjm

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Man, that is horrible skmarsh!! I'd want a refund too.....

Get a refund and hold out for a rifle made in CT.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mines to the left too. there's a pic of it earlier in the post.

I posted a comment on remingtons facebook page and they said give us a call we'll get you fixed up. What were they doing the first time I sent it in? Just messin with me or something.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Yep, the workmanship (t) is disgusting. I think the people working a Remington went to the "Stevie Wonder School of Gunsmithing". That's funny but it's not, if you know what I mean. I love Marlins but now I hate their workmanship. I looked at an 1895 and it had all the new features barrel droop, crooked sights, bad wood fitting and the rest of all the optional extras which seem to become standard nowadays. Tis a sad situation for sure. :'(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts