Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Avoid this stuff like the plague! I bought a brick of it because it was $4.49 a box. All I ended up doing was wasting $45!

From my CZ452 American I was getting 2.125" to 4.5" groups at 50 yards. Average velocity was 1617 ft per sec. The groups were just a random collection of fliers.

Nasty ammunition. ~Andrew

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It sounds French.....hmmmmm.....Co-inkydink? I think not!

·
Registered
455 Posts
On AR-15.com, they say that Sellier and Belliot, has caused KABOOM'S, blowing up some AR'S ...

Bill

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Retest

I felt bad condeming that S&B ammo when I only shot it from one rifle, so I returned to the range today with two other rifles and my Savage Striker 22WMR Bolt action pistol. Same miserable results.

I have never had any problems with S&B ammo safety wise, though frankly, none of it floated my boat in the accuracy department. I guess this is another disappointment from S&B.~Andrew

G

·
S&B are checz I think they used to sell shotgun cartridges overhere years ago, it would say smokeless on them, once you fired them you could not see to take a second shot,they had cardboard cases which would swell if a little damp so in the winter you could not get them and they would not eject. But they sure were cheap :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Shoot the PMC Predators, I like the PSP's but they make FMJ's and hollow points too. Not much more expensive than the S&B's...BTW, thanx...you saved me some money cuz I was thinking about getting some!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ED: I shoot PMC's in my Savage Striker Pistol. Like you said, they are inexpensive and in that gun, at least, they are pretty accurate. The HP's have a neat exposed lead nose with a sizable cavity. They make a mess out of jackrabbits and ground squirrels. In my Marlin 882SSV they shoot about 1.7" at 100 yards which isn't great when you consider that CCI or Federal FMJ will shoot .6 to .8" at the same distance. I have never seen the FMJ Predators on the shelf anyplace. I guess that I will need to order some eventually.

The 22WMR has taken a back seat to the 17HMR -in the magazines at least- but I am really a huge fan of the 22 Magnum. It's a great round. I went ground squirrel shooting on Monday and tooka buddy along. He used my Ruger 77/17, 17HMR and I used my CZ452 22WMR. The CZ is an MOA gun, the 17 Ruger is a 1/2 MOA gun. Still, I killed the same number of squirrels at the same distances using CCI "TMJ" rounds. Squirrels hit under 70 yards were pretty well damaged by the TMJ round. Not as torn up as with the 17HMR, but just as dead. Some people claim that the 22WMR is dead as a result of the 17HMR but I doubt it. In a Shooting Times article last month by Layne Simpson he says that manufacturers are selling 22WMR like crazy. I don't know if that's true but there are some pretty hot 22WMR rounds out there right now. The Federal/ Sierra 30 grain HP does 2300 ft/sec from my Marlin. the CCI/ Speer "TNT" hits 2360 ft/sec. The Remingtom Premier does 2057 f/s with a 33 grain polymer-tip bullet but the bullet has such a high ballistic coefficient (0.140) that the retained energy is really good. My Marlin doesn't like these rounds but my CZ (unfortunately, as they are pretty darned expensive) shoots them best of all. I have shot 1.3" at 150 yards with them and that's nothing to sneeze at from a light weight sporter.

Well, enough ramblings! If anybody has shot the PMC "FMJ" I'd like to hear about it. ~Andrew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah my rifle (1022 magnum) likes the Remington Premier the best. I am sitting on about 800 rounds of the stuff right now. Still got a few boxes of the PMC too. I tried the OSSI moly coated Vmax ammo too, that is the best shooting ammo in my rifle but way too expensive for my taste...right at $20 a box. I just can't get myself to get an HMR yet even though I hear so much good news about that caliber. Methinx the upsurge in 22 mag ammo is actually due to the 17HMR. If someone gets an HMR they want to try (or own) a 22 mag too.

Here's a couple of pix of mine. I actually bought the rifle to tinker with but it shot so well that I left it as factory, cept the paint job (Krylon), a VQ extractor and VQ mag release. I picked up two spare factory (unused) barrels and an unused (complete) trigger assembly...

The one in the front is a standard 1022, mag is in the back...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ed; Cool tiger striping you have one those rifles.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Follow-up

From the Sellier & Bellot - Rimfire ammunition page;

The 45 grain lead-coppered 22wmr

I have not shot any S&B ammo, but this round looks suspiciouly like the Winchester 45 gr. DynaTurd. Figgures it would shoot like it to.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed: Cool rifles. My CZ 452 has a few accuracy (bedding ) issues to clear up but I think it will shoot really well someday; at least it get's better with each trip to the range. I have a pair of SSV MArlins, a Brno 611 autoloader, a 22WMR barrel for my 77/17, and the Savage Striker. I like them all. My SSV Marlin is semi custom and a screamer for accuracy. ~Andrew

Yup. That S&B shoots exactly like the Winny Chester junk. I wouldn't doubt it if I heard that Winchester contracted S&B to make that Dynapoint. Word has it that Winchester is looking to get out of the rimfire ammo production business, anyhow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts