Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
As we move forward I'm wondering if the next generations will appreciate JM marlins and pay high prices for them. Seems the young folk are only interested in black tactical plastic firearms.
First they came for the AR15's, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not own a AR15.
Then they came for the Hand Guns, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not own a Hand Gun
Then they came for the Bolt Actions, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not own a Bolt Action.
Then they came for the Lever Actions—and that's when I wanted a AR15.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy,

I'm just wondering what guys are thinking so far as pricing trends, with the whole "Remlin/Marlin/Ruger" thing now settled.

I noticed prices for new and used Marlin leverguns rising last summer, as they dried up around me. By fall, there were no new Marlins on the shelves and few used ones. On one hand, I'm thinking this may be the time to part with my least favorite 336 or 1895, while prices are high. But who knows what will happen once Ruger starts making their own 336? Will the old Marlins continue to go up, like collector's items, or will they become dirt cheap as folks wait for a shiny new 336 or 60 with a Ruger warranty?

Any thoughts?

Be safe.
I’m seeing 336 in 35 Remington go
For around 1k
I’m no expert but if you can get that for a rifle that’s no longer available and a caliber that’s almost obsolete
I’m thinking sell sell sell
But I do understand sentimental value
I own more than one obsolete caliber rifle
So ?????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Howdy,

I'm just wondering what guys are thinking so far as pricing trends, with the whole "Remlin/Marlin/Ruger" thing now settled.

I noticed prices for new and used Marlin leverguns rising last summer, as they dried up around me. By fall, there were no new Marlins on the shelves and few used ones. On one hand, I'm thinking this may be the time to part with my least favorite 336 or 1895, while prices are high. But who knows what will happen once Ruger starts making their own 336? Will the old Marlins continue to go up, like collector's items, or will they become dirt cheap as folks wait for a shiny new 336 or 60 with a Ruger warranty?

Any thoughts?

Be safe.
I've bought 32 in the last six months, I keep some, convert some to tactical levers and sell em at gun shows. prices will continue to go up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
oh. Also. If any of y'all have sons-in-laws you don't like, or anyone else for that matter and you're looking to rid yourself of some lever actions, dm me...i'll happily take them off your hands.

I'm 35. Not interested in black plastic rifles. Just gettin' going in the lever action game. I'm all about it. I'm also not the biggest fan of electricity either so...whatever. I'll take good, good care of them wood and steel rifles tho...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Now that's funny...I lol'd....I don't have room in my life for snow flakes.
I get it.... You're just trying to win friends here....😂😂😂

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as no-one assumes my gender we can be friends. I'm just here to chew gum. Saw alotta posts about some disappointing-sounding sons in laws.

I say buy all of the guns and then hold all of the guns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as no-one assumes my gender we can be friends. I'm just here to chew gum. Saw alotta posts about some disappointing-sounding sons in laws.

"alotta posts" = 1.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Well, maybe you just can't chew gum and type coherently at the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tough call, prices are high on everything if, you're using the funds for other guns and or ammo your kind of trading more even up than it may seem. If you're in desperate need of something though it may make sense. I'd personally hold onto them for awhile and see what happens. Just my opinion, I've missed opportunities to make fantastic investments in the last year or so (wish I would have bought a few thousand 2x4's last year)

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
The op’s original question can only be answered by the op. To me, all the guns I have right now would take time to find and $$ to replace so they are not going anywhere. I used to buy and sell guns for profit years ago, but now it’s just a hobby I enjoy. As far as prices go, the wild card will be new government regulations on buying and selling guns. As far as Marlin vs. Remlin vs. Ruger goes, they are the same models but different guns and thus will always be treated that way. As far as the tone of some responses, the tone perceived online is not always the tone intended. What is typed sometimes comes across different online than it would if we all were just chewing the fat over a beer. Some good advice is to try not to be easily offended.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
As far as Marlin vs. Remlin vs. Ruger goes, they are the same models but different guns and thus will always be treated that way.
I'm sure that many people will say that, assuming Ruger does it right, the Remlins will never be worth much. That is a valid point given Remington's history of QC issues and overrall bad reputation of trhe Remlin product line. I still say they will have value as "blank canvases" to be used for custom projects. Obviously one wouldn't want to tear down and rebuild a fine, vintage JM, and it wouldn't make sense to buy a brand new Ruger and re-work it...so the Remlins will at least be good for that. Also, if the Remlins are forced into the lower values, they will make good entry level guns for people just starting out and/or on severe budget restraints. Most everyone here knows that not all Remlins are bad...so there's that going for them as well.

Reactions: shawlerbrook
41 - 53 of 53 Posts