Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Howdy,

I'm just wondering what guys are thinking so far as pricing trends, with the whole "Remlin/Marlin/Ruger" thing now settled.

I noticed prices for new and used Marlin leverguns rising last summer, as they dried up around me. By fall, there were no new Marlins on the shelves and few used ones. On one hand, I'm thinking this may be the time to part with my least favorite 336 or 1895, while prices are high. But who knows what will happen once Ruger starts making their own 336? Will the old Marlins continue to go up, like collector's items, or will they become dirt cheap as folks wait for a shiny new 336 or 60 with a Ruger warranty?

Any thoughts?

Be safe.
The true JMs will continue to rise---just like the Colt SAAs.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Who said the whole Remlin/Marlin/Ruger thing was "now settled"? I must have missed class that day.
I agree. Its not over until Ruger begins flooding the market with Marlin rifles that are equal to or better than Remlins and JM's. That said, even if Ruger delivers, I still think the older Marlins will continue to hold respectable value. In todays unstable market of panic buying and relentless attacks by anti-gunners all guns are valuable and in demand. I saw a Remlin SBL sell for $3200 on GB a few weeks back!

·
Registered
166 Posts
From what I am seeing on GB, some people are asking very high prices. The sold items kind of seem to be going down from where they are in the shooting grade. The jury is out on Ruger for awhile. They will not make an more Marlin Marlins so they will grow in value in the collector grade. I kind of like the shooting grade.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
From what I am seeing on GB, some people are asking very high prices. The sold items kind of seem to be going down from where they are in the shooting grade. The jury is out on Ruger for awhile. They will not make an more Marlin Marlins so they will grow in value in the collector grade. I kind of like the shooting grade.
When you get right down to it, what matters is the quality of the rifle thats in your hands. I'm less picky about whether or not a particular rifle was manufactured by JM, or Remington, or Ruger. If the fit, finish and function is good...and it shoots accurately...all the other stuff is irrelevant IMHO at least.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
if I had had a pre-64 Winchester 70 I wouldn't have even considered the late marketing or commercial evolutions. (Ruger or not)_
the Smith & Wesson Bangor-Punta didn't make me want the late models. (Ruger or not)_
the Colt ....Cz or not, and I could go on with the list.
if it's a question of money, or of plain lack of interest, auction off yesterday what you don't use: your stuff, your life, your money, and don't look back .
I have one Remlin :) only, bought new: I don't use it too much, but it works and I like it_ it's mine, here I can't find an Outfitter, I enjoy my rifle. period_
a well known Col. wrote that the Queen wasn't for sale, in The Art of the Rifle.
I can only add: Ruger tomorrow or not.
(all without offense intended to anyone, Ruger & Ruger Owners🍺 first, of course)

·
Registered
13 Posts
There will "never" be another JM stamped rifle made again. I'll keep my peace's of history for now.
^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I think that even if Ruger manages to produce an equal or even better quality marlin, JM Marlins have been around a long time, even passed down from generation to generation and they have a loyal following amongst hunters and collectors.

I can't see anywhere they would go in value except up in the future, regardless of the current buying frenzy coming to a grinding halt or not.

For me, I can't see any other way except to hold. Because if I lost interest, and then regain it, how would I replace them.

JM Marlins are like land now, they aint making any more of it/them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an 1894c in 357 magnum with a JM stamped on the barrel. I have never really cared for. Out of the box I had trouble working the action. It got worse over the years and I finally sent it back to Marlin. They fixed it with a upgraded lifter and lever. The gun works fine now but I will probably let it go. I like my other Marlins

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
I've sold a few rifles this spring that I've either lost interest in or am just not happy with in order to help finance new purchases. It's a good time to sell with rifles that could be had for $300 or $400 a couple of years ago bringing two or three times that much. I figure if I haven't shot something in two or three years it's probably time for it to go and I'll get something that pushes my current buttons.
mikej,

Agreed, if you have your eyes on a new best friend and the old friend has not seen use for years, it may just be time to make it someone else's new best friend. Use the money to scratch new itches. If a JM, hold. They will increase in value like the Ballard did over time.

Reactions: mikej

·
Registered
765 Posts
A welcome to the forum might have been a better approach.

Yesterday I visited a friend in a rehab facility who is an avid Marlin collector. He may never go out and fish or hunt again.
Maybe I'm just jaded at the moment but I hate to see us send someone packing without at least welcoming them first.
Yes , I understand it was his choice.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
A welcome to the forum might have been a better approach. Maybe I'm just jaded at the moment but I hate to see us send someone packing without at least welcoming them first. Yes , I understand it was his choice.
I don't think any of the other forum members were out of line.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The JM marlins will never be in the outrages price category, the remlins will stay about the same.
Once Ruger comes out with their 336 nobody will care about the others except people that want/collect JM's.
JM's had their issues also, so did the early remlins, later on I say they were fine. That's me though.
I don't care what should or will happen to the price because idc about JM's. I don't need or want one .Simple

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A welcome to the forum might have been a better approach.

Yesterday I visited a friend in a rehab facility who is an avid Marlin collector. He may never go out and fish or hunt again.
Maybe I'm just jaded at the moment but I hate to see us send someone packing without at least welcoming them first.
Yes , I understand it was his choice.
I agree that a welcome would have been, well, more welcoming and the OP might not have felt put off. Sadly, I cannot remember the many times I responded to a new topic only to find out later that I had responded to a new member's initial post and, failing to notice that fact, had neglected to welcome them. In this case, six forum members posted responses before a seventh member said, "welcome". I'd bet none of those first six responding members noticed they were answering a question from a new member.

A new forum feature might help us identify newbies. Perhaps, the number of forum posts under the avatar could blink and flash for their first dozen posts. Maybe new members could be given a special, easily identifiable, new forum member warning avatar until they make a certain number of posts. Or, perhaps all first posts could appear in bright, red, bold text. Said notification or alert would ensure forum members identify new members so they can post warm welcomes and prevent sensitive toes from being stepped on.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I'd sent an email to him with the hope that he'd reconsider leaving. We'll see. While I don't think that anything posted was out of line I have to remember that a few of us have been here a long time and we forget our manners in welcoming new members. Hopefully he'll want to come back and be a part of this crowd.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The JM marlins will never be in the outrages price category, the remlins will stay about the same.Once Ruger comes out with their 336 nobody will care about the others except people that want/collect JM's. JM's had their issues also, so did the early remlins, later on I say they were fine. That's me though.
I don't care what should or will happen to the price because idc about JM's. I don't need or want one. Simple
You've pretty much said the same thing I said in an earlier post, but you put a different spin on it. The point is still the same. BUY THE GUN at a reasonable price for its fit, finish and function. Don't pay extra just for a particular makers mark stamped on it.

Reactions: thelineman

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the reason the older Marlins will continue to appreciate, is primarily the quality of the walnut in the stocks and the finish. I have Remlins that I like and that function fine, but the stocks and the finish just don't compare to a gun made in the 50s or 60s. Even 70s and 80s guns have better aesthetics. It is similar to an old Colt 1911 or a Python compared to a new one. The polish and bluing just don't compare. Even if demand goes back to more normal levels which seems debatable at this point, quality materials and finish demand a premium. I can't see Ruger producing that level of finish at an affordable price.

Regards,

Kris

·
Registered
163 Posts
In the past, I have sold quite a few JM Marlins that I thought I would never shoot. I made good money on them at the time, usually at least 100%. I used the money to pay for vacations and other memories which was nice. Now that I look back at it, I never really needed the extra money to do the things I did. I do however regret selling any of them at this point. The profit I made at the time seemed great, but here we are a few years later and it doesn't seem like I made such a good decision after all as prices have continued to increase. Now, no one could really predict all the drama that has happened with Marlin over the last decade or so. What I do know is I have 38 JM Marlins left and I am always on the hunt for number 39 or maybe even 40 for a nice round number.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
As we move forward I'm wondering if the next generations will appreciate JM marlins and pay high prices for them. Seems the young folk are only interested in black tactical plastic firearms.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I enjoy many different rifles, and have owned pretty much all action types; single shot, combination, double rifle, semi-auto, pump, lever and bolt. I have used mostly lever guns the last 10-15 yrs and enjoyed a lot of success with my Marlins, Henrys & BLRs. My two Sons In Law and 3 Grandsons do not seem to have an affinity to lever rifles, so they all have bolt guns from me. Several of my Marlins have been sold the last 4-5 yrs with my favorites; Marlin .375, 336ER and .444P remaining to help cover any needs I might have for my hunting areas.

Like many of you, I grew up seeing lever guns all the time on TV and in the movies, but the two younger generations in my clan have NOT had such exposure to them to be able to appreciate the handiness and capabilities of a lever rifle in trained hands. I think that if anyone who is on the fence about whether or not to sell and they do NOT have family members who long to own a nice Marlin, should likely think seriously about selling at this time. I know there are those who say that they will never sell any of their rifles, and I respect their feelings and opinions. But at my age, I find that simply owning 70+ long guns has become something of a logistics problem. As they say, "you can't take them with you"..... I find it rewarding to know that I sold a certain rifle to someone who appreciates what it is and who will do more than simply look at it. After all, they were made to shoot and/or hunt and that's exactly what they should be doing.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts