Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

I'm just wondering what guys are thinking so far as pricing trends, with the whole "Remlin/Marlin/Ruger" thing now settled.

I noticed prices for new and used Marlin leverguns rising last summer, as they dried up around me. By fall, there were no new Marlins on the shelves and few used ones. On one hand, I'm thinking this may be the time to part with my least favorite 336 or 1895, while prices are high. But who knows what will happen once Ruger starts making their own 336? Will the old Marlins continue to go up, like collector's items, or will they become dirt cheap as folks wait for a shiny new 336 or 60 with a Ruger warranty?

Any thoughts?

Be safe.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've sold a few rifles this spring that I've either lost interest in or am just not happy with in order to help finance new purchases. It's a good time to sell with rifles that could be had for $300 or $400 a couple of years ago bringing two or three times that much. I figure if I haven't shot something in two or three years it's probably time for it to go and I'll get something that pushes my current buttons.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I never regretted parting with a rifle I kept. Years ago, one by one, I sold off my old Marlins when I lost interest. When that interest returned, as surely as it always does, I had none. And I was kicking myself. Now all my Marlins are Remlins and, fortunately, they are great. I won't make another mistake and part with them again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have to say, over the years, I've experienced both of these as well.

I recently looked over a long list of rifles I have sold over the years. A few I truly regret, like an M1 I got for $300 back in the day that would now be $1,000, or the SMLE that I got in cosmoline for $179. But others I don't really regret, as I lost interest and used them to fund what I was more interested in at the time, like selling an SKS and Mauser I never shot to help fund my first AR15 years ago.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When the riots begin, the first thing you'll realize is that you can accurately shoot only one gun at a time (unless you're blessed with four or more arms). Keep the guns you really want for that purpose, and recreation; make sure you have a good supply of ammo for the guns you keep, and let someone else be the caretaker for those in which you've lost interest and/or never use.

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
Remington went bankrupt. The court put the marlin division up for sale. Ruger purchased it for $28 million. Ruger has since announced they plan to re-release Marlin rifles soon.

Customer Service (marlinfirearms.com)

Be well.
And so now that Ruger has acquired some of Freedom Group/Remington Outdoor/Marlin's assets the issue of firearm values has been settled? Not hardly. Ruger hasn't released any product yet. The market is still in flux, but one thing's for certain. Firearm and ammunition prices in the USA will never decrease as long as the Criminal Cabal lives inside the 'Fence'. And genuine JM Marlins will never devalue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a warm, welcoming online community. If we, with common interests and hobbies can't even be courteous to a "new guy," what hope is there?

Sorry I posted here. Have a nice day.

(unsubscribed)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
@Carbineguy - you are most welcome to the Forum - and @rob42049 has a rather unique sense of humor - don't let it offend you. He's a great guy - I don't need to carry his water, but don't judge too quickly.

The whole issue of rifle / firearms value is actually pretty sensitive based on your perspective. I have firearms that I never shoot - just because. I hope that in the long run my investment in them will pay off for my wife and family. My best friend, Tom, used to say that the three best investments in life are: God, Gold, and Guns - he was not wrong about that!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Prices are up and now is the time to sell anything you have been wanting to sell. But don't be discouraged, if you hunt around you will always be able to find the right bargain to apply those high earnings toward. Case in point: Two weeks ago I sold a Kimber 1911 that I'd had for a couple of years and shot several hundred rounds through. I got more than I'd paid for it even after giving a gunshop a commission for making the sale. Then, last week, I located and purchased a new-old-stock, in the box, 300 H&H Model 70 for a price so low it would have even been considered a bargain a couple of years ago.

I don't know what's going to happen with the Marlins but I don't think they can go any higher. If you sell what you don't use now then you'll only have more to use to buy what you really want later.

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 10.03.36 AM.png

I certainly didn't mean to offend Carbineguy, but as of today Ruger has yet to release any Marlins, and the Nation is still gripped by a gun buying frenzy. So as I see it, nothing pertaining to value, pricing, supply and demand has been settled. Ruger's release of a few selected Marlin models will not dilute the market nor devalue JM Marlins, in fact just the opposite may occur. Ruger's version of the Marlin design may make JM Marlin rifles more valuable. A little clarification of the question posed and some back-and-forth discussion is what open forums are all about.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Carbineguy,
Think you just misread people. This has been a discussion on what Ruger would do ever since the Bankruptcy of Remington. I want to welcome you to the forum and hope to hear more from you in the future. I truly believe that the prices will drop and if you are looking to make a profit now is the time to rake the cash in. JM will never be a bargain again, Remington will get cheaper unless people realize that not that many were made over the few years they Butchered them. I own several Remlins myself. So who really knows the future, but I believe in Ruger and what they said that the lineup will continue. I believe that they will produce an outstanding rifle as good as if not better than the JM rifles. But to me all will drop in price the next two years.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It appears that @Carbineguy has chosen to unsubscribe - which is unfortunate

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
363 Posts
While you ‘don’t’ shoot them anymore you ‘might’ shoot them one day. There’s the rub. I have recently sold 2 rifles but bought another donor for a new project, it never ends. Planning on selling some .22 Colts that are more collectible soon. Not selling any Marlins.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts