Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50 yards and closing,nothing deters him,what would you do and of course you have your big bore levergun and your choice of bullets.You also have a 500 S&W stoked with Barnes bullets.Which would you use??????

Jayco.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
450 M with Hornady 350 gr.

N

·
0 Posts
450 would work -

would rather have my 1895 LTD V with 8 rounds of Garretts 420 plus p loads - with my Leupold 1.5 turned down to 2 - would keep shooting 'till empty.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Neither one. Save your ammo.

Jingle your bear bells REALLY hard, wave your arms, and shout "woof!!" really loud. Before he gets too close, run a few steps in his direction and that should scare him off.

:D :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about dropping him with my 45-70 Guide Gun, whacking him with the 405gr Rem JSP chugging along at 1750fps.

I suppose a 500gr Hard cast would enter the head and exit the pooper-hole, burying itself in the dirt. My cheap Remington would enter the head and lodge in the prostate. A sucker bullet would also lodge in the prostate but take a better picture afterwards. :)

But in any case, Mr.Bear would be very dead.

The only way I would use a pistol is if it was all I had. Pistols are great only because they are handy, i.e. you have them with you. Otherwise they suck compared to a rifle.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
my marlin LTD II with my 405's,don't own or want a s&w 500 but stiff loads out of my ruger 45 colt 280 gr keith/41 mag with hot 210's keith swc's would do nice.I have handled the smith 500 hunter with rifle slings and the reason they are there in the first place... man it's heavy...heavy..did I say heavy???. no thanks.I know a man that has one and a good pistol shot there is no way a fast 2nd shot on target is possible with that cannon.
close quaters with a bear just give me a stoked fast handling ruger 45 colt 5 1/2 inch barrel smokin those 280 gr keith slugs but only after the ltd is empty.
pete

G

·
0 Posts
Jayco,

You drop that bear at 50 yards in Alaska and you're going to jail. When they get thru with you you'll be wishing the bear got ya.

He's not charging. His hackles aren't up. He is probably trying to get your scent. Maybe you can offer to hold paws and sing cum-bye-ya.................?

Even if he charges to 10 yards and stops, called a "false charge" by the AK Dept of FishinGames, and you shoot him, you will be prosecuted.

Ain't tree huggers wonderful?

In spite of this, I would be cocked and caressing the trigger. Are you looking behind you? They've been known to work in pairs you know, and if this one is courting that one, and you're in between, Oh MY!

Best,

Grizz

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grizz_ said:
Jayco,

You drop that bear at 50 yards in Alaska and you're going to jail. When they get thru with you you'll be wishing the bear got ya.

He's not charging. His hackles aren't up. He is probably trying to get your scent. Maybe you can offer to hold paws and sing cum-bye-ya.................?

Even if he charges to 10 yards and stops, called a "false charge" by the AK Dept of FishinGames, and you shoot him, you will be prosecuted.

Ain't tree huggers wonderful?

In spite of this, I would be cocked and caressing the trigger. Are you looking behind you? They've been known to work in pairs you know, and if this one is courting that one, and you're in between, Oh MY!

Best,

Grizz
Grizz-In Idaho we call it shoot-shovel and shut up??But that's for the Wolves...What was I thinking.....

Jayco.

G

·
0 Posts
Jayco,

Yup, you're right of course. Funny thing is, you have more privacy there.

I could have my skiff on the beach and everyone would know that it was MY SKIFF, where it was, and when. People around here pay attention to that kind of stuff: everyone elses business.

It's like, you know: "little brother is watching you."

I would like to tag one about like that pic, 'cept with a red coat. I once saw a monster the color of a red setter. Now that would have been worth it.

Grizz

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't consider the Handgun until I smelled Grizz Breath! Hopefully I would hold my ground and stop him with my 450 (Factory Ammo) before it came to that. If it came to that and for some reason the Handgun didn't work I would then use my little bells & pepper spray :?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, shoot, rifle until empty, then pistol if needed; of course depending on what my guide said (if he's still in shouting distance :lol: ). I've heard several up in northern B.C. talk about the SSS technique. The next thing to do is ask the guide if he brought extra TP to clean out my shorts :oops: .

·
0 Posts
Oh, no no no! Don't shoot that pretty little thing. If Norm Watkins' idea doesn't work, wait until he gets within about 10 feet and spray him with your bear spray. But be careful you don't "limp wrist" it!!!

Grizz, question about your comments to Jayco: Alaska is the only state I have not been in, but my impression of Alaska is it is still "wide open"--sparcely populated. I know it is not deserted, but are there many parts of Alaska that if you shot a bear when you shouldn't have as you suggest, what are the chances of you getting caught and prosecuted for it?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If I understand AK laws correctly, them require you to pack it out if you do shoot it.

That said, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Question for you guys with experience - do bears ever react to the noise of a warning shot?

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Question for you guys with experience - do bears ever react to the noise of a warning shot? They do pause,but not long.Don;t waist a round with a warning,if you are going to shoot a bear don't stop until he is down and still and then poke him in the eye.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you empty a guide gun into that thing and it is still coming pull out the hand gun and use it on your self because if it takes 5 from a 45-70 and is still going you are f*&^%$d.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
With that amount of lead in it maybe you can out swim it!

·
Registered
684 Posts
IntrepidWizard said:
Question for you guys with experience - do bears ever react to the noise of a warning shot?
If a bear is bluffing, which boars do more often than sows with cubs, a warning shot might cause them to stop a bit farther out. But you're playing the odds counting on them to stop.

If you can get out of the area while they're still popping teeth at a distance - great. But if you're taking a charge at 50yds you better know your bear behavior because it is awful hard to make a shot when the bruin's got your skull in his jaws.

If a man comes running at me with a knife from 50yds he will be dying at 25yds - I'm not going to bet that he is bluffing. I can't imagine extending more courtesy to a flea & tick infested, fur covered bag of stink with an attitude.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hope never to be that close to one.
But for the sake of argument - although I have an 1895s 45-70 & Garrett 420s I would prefer my Rem 870 w/slugs & an extended 8rd magazine - I think I can work it quicker!!!
jim

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Shock does not work like penetration on a Bear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts