Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
This is a post made by Dr. SKINNER a few years ago. Most of the information here is current except that we no longer make custom height front sights. Please refer to some of our more recent FRONT SIGHT posts and the FRONT SIGHT PAGE at www.skinnersights.com

ALSO: PLease... READ the FAQ page at
www.skinnersights.com
Front sight selection is really not that difficult, but it does take customer participation. We cannot stress this enough... INSTALL THE SKINNER SIGHT of your choice, then SHOOT ON PAPER WITH THE FACTORY FRONT SIGHT. USE THE RESULTS TO DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF CHANGE NEEDED IN FRONT SIGHT HEIGHT.

THERE IS NO WAY TO PREDETERMINE EXACTLY WHAT FRONT SIGHT YOU WILL NEED UNTIL YOU PERFORM THIS TASK. I can generally recommend a sight height that will be TALL ENOUGH BUT NOT EXACT and leave you enough material to "trim" to the exact height you need.

HERE IS DR. SKINNERS BLOG! :) (Edit by Andy 9-7-2012)

There are several vital considerations for the rifleman when ordering a front sight that 'fits' the gun.
The following is meant to help individuals make informed decisions when ordering from skinnersights.com, but may be useful no matter what sight is desired.

1.All Marlin rifles mount the front sight in a 3/8 inch dovetail.
2.All Skinner front sights are a flat black or brass blade that is serrated on the back to reduce glare.

Beyond these two points there are a number of differences that need to be considered before ordering a sight.
Some front sights dovetail directly to the barrel. Usually these are octagonal barreled rifles, but some round barrels have the same mounting of the front sight. Here is a picture of the front sight on my 39D.

PHOTO NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Most front sights mount to a ramp that is attached to the barrel by screws. The ramp shown below is a brass ramp I made for a 35 Remington 336. I have made a few of these ramps special order for which I charge $35. Lots of machine steps go into making one.

PHOTO NO LONGER AVAILABLE (note from Andy: We do still have a few ramps available on a custom order basis. Availability is limited by time and standard production schedules)

Once the method of mounting the front sight is determined, the rifleman needs to decide which width is needed. The picture below shows the three widths I offer. They are ½ inch wide, 3/8 inch wide, and ¼ inch wide.

The ½ inch wide sight is a barrel mounted sight. My standard height is .650 inches as measured from the bottom of the dovetail. That is the sight on the left. Ordering this sight from my website would mean selecting the ½ inch wide barrel mounted sight.

The middle sight is 3/8 inches wide and is common on older 336's. I make this sight standard at .450 inches tall. I found it ideal as a barrel mounted sight on my 39D, but most applications are on ramps on 336 rifles.

The sight on the right is a ¼ inch wide ramp mounted sight. Most recent 1895 rifles and 336 rifles use this sight. I make it standard at .450 inches tall.

Any of the sights can be ordered at any height. Today I made a ¼ inch wide sight at .470 inches and another at .365 for customers. I try to make the standard height work for most rifles. It is simple to file a bit off the front sight if it is too tall. If you order one that is too short, I make one the correct height and trade for no charge other than postage.

(We no longer offer custom height front sights. We do offer standardized choices as available on our front sight page at www.skinnersights.com Thanks! ANDY)

I hope this is helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Dr. Skinner; I put your sight on my 336, sighted it in and the sight works excellent. You produce an excellant product at a very reasonable price. I would highly reccomend the sight to anyone. Thanks for a great product and a great person to do business with.

·
Registered
284 Posts
timski said:
There are several vital considerations for the rifleman when ordering a front sight that 'fits' the gun.
The following is meant to help individuals make informed decisions when ordering from skinnersights.com, but may be useful no matter what sight is desired.

1.All Marlin rifles mount the front sight in a 3/8 inch dovetail.
2.All Skinner front sights are a flat black or brass blade that is serrated on the back to reduce glare.

Beyond these two points there are a number of differences that need to be considered before ordering a sight.
Some front sights dovetail directly to the barrel. Usually these are octagonal barreled rifles, but some round barrels have the same mounting of the front sight. Here is a picture of the front sight on my 39D.

Most front sights mount to a ramp that is attached to the barrel by screws. The ramp shown below is a brass ramp I made for a 35 Remington 336. I have made a few of these ramps special order for which I charge $35. Lots of machine steps go into making one.

Once the method of mounting the front sight is determined, the rifleman needs to decide which width is needed. The picture below shows the three widths I offer. They are ½ inch wide, 3/8 inch wide, and ¼ inch wide.

The ½ inch wide sight is a barrel mounted sight. My standard height is .650 inches as measured from the bottom of the dovetail. That is the sight on the left. Ordering this sight from my website would mean selecting the ½ inch wide barrel mounted sight.

The middle sight is 3/8 inches wide and is common on older 336's. I make this sight standard at .450 inches tall. I found it ideal as a barrel mounted sight on my 39D, but most applications are on ramps on 336 rifles.

The sight on the right is a ¼ inch wide ramp mounted sight. Most recent 1895 rifles and 336 rifles use this sight. I make it standard at .450 inches tall.

Any of the sights can be ordered at any height. Today I made a ¼ inch wide sight at .470 inches and another at .365 for customers. I try to make the standard height work for most rifles. It is simple to file a bit off the front sight if it is too tall. If you order one that is too short, I make one the correct height and trade for no charge other than postage.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
THanks Wayne,

This post is one of Tim's and I dont have those pictures. Perhaps he will see the request and be able to repost. Sometimes over the years finding those orig. photos gets more difficult.

You can also Email me (address in my profile) if you have questions I can help with.

Andy

·
Registered
831 Posts
Picture links are broken

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Yep... Not sure we are going to be able to resurrect those photos. If you have any questions please Email me via www.skinnersights.com.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Some updates to this post 9-7-2012

1 - 11 of 11 Posts