Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1898 springfield armory in 30-40 krag(hehehe i can't believe i got one
). i was looking online and i decided to go with the 220gr round nose. since the krag was loaded with 220gr, way back in the day
, i figured why not. i will use it for black bear/deer and i will use the open sights. i'll try to keep it around 3" moa. the range will be 100yds (my eyes still work
)and realistically around 40-50yds. i have never tried a round nose from seirra, but i used a lot of 150gr hornadys.

so i guess i'll leave it up to you... 220gr rn seirra or 220gr rn hornady?

thanks!!!

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I really do not like to be an arm chair hunter, so I will not speculate on a Hornady or Sierra 220 gr from a 30-40 on game. I can say, I did use the a 270 Round Nose Sierra 150gr on deer twice, it was a carbine rifle and fps was about 2600. At 50 yards or so got what appeared to be zero expansion, and those deer both went a long way with very minimal blood trails. Great for moose, maybe not so good for thin whitetails. Pretty much because of that experience, these days, any new bullet I'm thinking of using gets tested in soaked paper with a board to match a bone, if at all possible would suggest the load is tested in some similar manner before use. My first choice for testing be a Hawk 200gr or 220 RN, with the thin .025 or .35 soft copper jacket, I do know that other Hawk bullets with similair jackets have expanded and penetrated very well at lower speeds (1900 thru 2400fps is where I tested at). They are much softer than Sierra 270 150 RN anyways.

Reactions: 358 Win

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
The Sierra 220gr RN isn't truly designed for deer size game, ..."The 220 grain #2180 is the real heavyweight and is suitable for the largest North American game and many African species"... You might be happier with their 180gr RN, ..." The 180 grain #2170 is suited to larger game but will perform well on larger whitetails."...

https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/bullets/rifle.cfm

Hornady doesn't provide much information about the intended use of their bullets;

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .308 30 CAL

Hope that is of some use in making your decision.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That thing is just begging for some nice 220gr rounds nosed or flat nosed gas checked cast boolits.
next year, i wish!!! 180gr rn are hard to find. the 220gr rn are everywhere, plus they go along with the krag as a natural bullet weight.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I really do not like to be an arm chair hunter, so I will not speculate on a Hornady or Sierra 220 gr from a 30-40 on game. I can say, I did use the a 270 Round Nose Sierra 150gr on deer twice, it was a carbine rifle and fps was about 2600. At 50 yards or so got what appeared to be zero expansion, and those deer both went a long way with very minimal blood trails. Great for moose, maybe not so good for thin whitetails. Pretty much because of that experience, these days, any new bullet I'm thinking of using gets tested in soaked paper with a board to match a bone, if at all possible would suggest the load is tested in some similar manner before use. My first choice for testing be a Hawk 200gr or 220 RN, with the thin .025 or .35 soft copper jacket, I do know that other Hawk bullets with similair jackets have expanded and penetrated very well at lower speeds (1900 thru 2400fps is where I tested at). They are much softer than Sierra 270 150 RN anyways.
I'll go one better, and say 150 grs. or less for deer. Deer do not need a really heavy bullet, as there is not enough deer to expand any any soft point or hollow point bullet for the heavier bullet weights. One has to remember the thickness of a deer compared to other animals. 150 grs. or 125/130 grs. bullet are more than enough for anything deer sized at the 2400/2500 fps of the 30-40 Krag. If it were my rifle, I'd try anyone of the offerings from the major makers in the 150 gr. class bullets. Preferably, something with a soft point. Premium bullets are not needed, and the old standard soft points will penetrate and expand quite well in a deer. A common mistake of hunters is to use the 180 gr. bullets for deer, when they're meant for larger animals (elk and moose). A 180 gr. bullet is just beginning to expand as it exits a deer, and you want a bullet that will expand while in the deer, not after it left the deer. 220 gr. bullets move even too slow out of a 30-06 to do much good on anything. One of the .300 magnum cartridges would be much better for the 220 gr. bullet. You're problem with the 30-40 Krag is velocity. Unfortunately, it's just too slow. For military purposes, of putting a .30 caliber hole in a enemy combatant, it works. No expansion is needed with the military application.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
what if i said black bear only? they go from 100-700 pounds. i shot one, and only one, that went 398lbs.(with a m760 in 3088) )would i do better with a 220gr rn or do alot better?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm not a bear hunter, and have no experience, but I'd think anything in the 165/180 gr. class would be better for a 400 lb. class animal. The problem with the 220 gr. is that you can't get it moving fast enough with the 30-40 Krag, as the case capacity just isn't there. As the slogan goes, "Speed Kills"......

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would a 180gr hornady sst be ok?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have no experience with that bullet. Possibly, someone with more experience with the 180s would step up and give some insight. 150s will kill anything I've ever hunted or ever will. I will say that I think a round nose bullet would probably work better out of your Krag. It will expand fairly reliably, and penetrate well. I believe that this is a "go to" bullet for moose from a 30-40 or 300 Savage. Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts