Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up at our camp in NH last weekend, actually I was there since the preceeding week on my annual escape with my boys.

Well as we're pulling up to the turn off a nice black bear ran across the road right in front of us :) , I thought the show was over & got out to open the gate to the road & there he was again, this time only bout 40' away.
He pokes his head out of the brush along the road & proceeded across without giving us a second look. Was a real thrill seeing one that close & the kids really loved it. He was over 3 feet at the shoulder on all fours & I dont know if thats big for a bear or what he might of weighed but I wouldnt have wanted to tangle with him.

Been looking for a blackie for a few years now without luck, maybe this'll be my year. :D Hoping he stays atound the neighborhood till fall.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Sounds like a good time. If you are at all into calls, try a cubbawler, sounds like a cub in distress, mamas get mad, males don't want them around. Anything but another cub is likely to come in mad and fast so be ready and have a good field of view. Forgot to mention, here in Washington we can't use bait or dogs so limits us to calls.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I may see if I can find one & give it a try. I cant use dogs or bait them either. They allow it in NH for residents but nonresidents must come from a state that allows the same type hunting for NH residents & since CT doesn't even have a season I'm outta luck.

The call might work tho, I'v been real close before & last year I found tracks in the afternoon that werent there in the AM going damn near right around me.

I found sign where this bear was using an old logging road & set up in a tree where it looked like he was coming out of the woods.
In the afternoon theres tracks coming down the road right at me & then about 25 yards up the road they stopped & milled around a bit before going back up the mountain 50 or so yards & going into the woods on the opposite side & emerging again about 300 yards down hill, crossing to my side & dissapearing into the underbrush. Coming as he did from the wrong way I believe he winded me.

Wasnt a total wash tho as I got to see a Fox take a squirrel damn near under my nose (He came in the right way). Never going into the woods again without a camera. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts