Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

So I found this 1894 in .44 mag with Octagonal barrel on GB a few months ago. Maybe some of you saw it and chose not to bid and I'm the sucker, but it was cheap so I'm not broken hearted. :biggrin: There has definitely been some hackery to this rifle as the mag tube is not original and is from a barrel band rifle (easily fixable). I knew this was someone's beater rifle when I purchased it so I don't feel jipped at all. I'm actually looking forward to refinishing the stock and fixing 'er up.

So my question to you all is how do you think these pieces came together as the previous owner claimed his friend purchased it brand new. The serial number indicates it's from 1990, has a safety, however the barrel stamping matches what I've seen on photos of 1973 barrels. Were there 44mags with 20" octo's in the 90's? If this was a conversion done by a shop owner in the 90's, was Marlin still using '73 barrels? The fitment of the barrel/receiver is solid and don't see anything to indicate forgery (if that's even a real problem) however there is no JM stamp on the barrel.

Photos for you analysis:
P1000823.jpg P1000824.jpg P1000825.jpg P1000828.jpg P1000831.jpg

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Looks like an older barrel on a newer action... To me anyway.... How's she shoot?

Reactions: Tomray

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Yep, looks like an NOS barrel fitted on a newer style receiver. That doesn't mean that it ain't a good looking rifle though. I like it anyway.

-Bob

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
It's another one of those prototype rifles!:biggrin: LOL! Only two serial numbers?

Seriously...barrels were available through places like Numrich. All the good octagon barrels are all bought up now.
I wish I had gotten some when they were available, and cheap!

People just need to be careful what their looking at on the auction sights. Sellers are claiming guns to be the collectable Limited models and asking those kind of prices.
Now if it's cheap enough I see no harm done. I'm going to build my own one day.
I just need to find a nice octagon barrel. :biggrin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's another one of those prototype rifles!:biggrin: LOL! Only two serial numbers?

Seriously...barrels were available through places like Numrich.

People just need to be careful what their looking at on the auction sights. Sellers are claiming guns to be the collectable Limited models and asking those kind of prices.
Now if it's cheap enough I see no harm done.
LOL, this one might be one of those "prototypes" :biggrin:

Good point, I forgot you could order barrels from various places.

It wasn't passed off as collectable and I did my research before hand so I knew some things didn't add up, but was willing to take the risk (and have a weakness for octagon barrels). It was definitely used, so there is no doubt it shoots. Stripped it, cleaned and oiled up she functions flawlessly. Haven't gone out to shoot her yet. I just joined the local range but I still have to build my target stands, been kinda lazy on the weekends.:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
One things for sure, that is a sweet looking little rifle.

Congrats!

B

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Very nice! :congrats:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would I be correct in assuming that this is a '73 barrel based off the stamping and lack of a warning? What about no JM stamp is that unusual or a possibility?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Frankenmarlin....

cool

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming that this is a '73 barrel based off the stamping and lack of a warning? What about no JM stamp is that unusual or a possibility?
Your barrel was never fired on a completed firearm,so no JM stamp. It's known as a proof stamp. Only weapons that are fired with an overpressure SAAMI proof load get stamped. Google it.
Congrats on a nice rifle. Please post a range report.

Rob

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Franken Marlin or not, nice carbine! Congrats, if yer happy with the price, ya done real good. DP

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Yes, an older Barrel on a newer receiver.......

I'd assume that is converted rifle. The lack of a proof mark tells me it was not converted at Marlin North Haven, but by some outside....

Had it been converted in Marlins Gun Service Department, it most certainly would show a Proof mark.................But NONE of that should be a problem if the rifle functions as you say........

You just can't find these older Octagon barreled rifles, or any Barrels, especially Octagon barrels any more.

Enjoy the rifle for what it is..........A good shooter and sporting rifle.

Tom

Reactions: rklaver

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks again everyone. The nice thing about it being a newer receiver and a frankinmarlin is I can do some customizing and not feel guilty. I found this post from 2009. I'm thinking I might do some nice engraving to the receiver, hide some of the scratches, also redo the stock in a reddish color.
Marlin044.jpg 683720_43a3613fcacdbe41ff226bd6a4d138e5.jpg

photos curtesy of forum mebers mm6mm6 and RangerPointPrecision

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have a very similar rifle. A few years ago Numrich was selling the barrels. I bought two of them and put them on '94 carbines. I sold one and kept one. The barrels did not have proof marks as they were not installed at the factory. You can get the mag tube for a Cowboy Limited from Numrich. Both of them turned out to be great shooters.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for posting the pics Doc. Great looking rifle, I like that cuff! I've seen the magtube on Numrick and Brownell's but they are not really clear (at least to me) if it's for the barrel band or forearm cap. I might have to just call them to be sure ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts