Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have got a little 122 year old rifle here in my possession that hasn't gone bang for decades ... as a matter of fact in hadn't been together for decades until just the last few days ...
Liquid Water Fluid Engineering Metal

Liquid Fluid Water Wood Flooring

Air gun Trigger Revolver Shotgun Gun barrel

The owner wants it to go bang ... so what I, in my ignorance, need to know is can modern 30-30 ammo be used in this old gun safely or do special loads need to be acquired ...

Thanks in advance for any guidance and advice ...

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
I had a 1915-era Mod 1893 30-30. I shot 170 gr jacketed reloads through it but kept the velocity to early 20th Century specs. My rounds were in the 1,900 FPS MV range.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Mine is 1900 mfg. I shoot modern 150 gr. Fed.in mine and I don’t feel nervous I tried ultramax cowboy 30/30 and it did not like it a bit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
30-30 was introduced in 1895 as a smokeless powder round. I believe that the manufactures have kept to the original pressures for safety reasons. Should not be any reason not to shoot off the shelf 30-30. If you wanted to start easy, the cowboy rounds are pretty light loads with reduced velocity.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Have got a little 122 year old rifle here in my possession that hasn't gone bang for decades ... as a matter of fact in hadn't been together for decades until just the last few days ...

The owner wants it to go bang ... so what I, in my ignorance, I need to know is can modern 30-30 ammo be used in this old gun safely or do special loads need to be acquired ...

I'm pretty sure factory ammo will shoot just fine. If you are still not sure about firing modern ammo, take it to a competent gunsmith to go over it. If it were me, I would have already loaded and shot the rifle. That really is a nice looking rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts

The owner wants it to go bang ... so what I, in my ignorance, I need to know is can modern 30-30 ammo be used in this old gun safely or do special loads need to be acquired ...

My word !!! Has that rifle been refinished ? Any factory issue .30-30 ammunition is safe.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
@rjtmac: Hodgdon lists starting loads of IMR 3031 and a 150 or 170 grain Sierra bullet in the 27,500-28,700 PSI chamber pressure range. Should be 100% completely safe in the 1893 Takedown.

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I wouldn't use any European ammo. It is all loaded hotter in 30-30

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Factory ammo is fine in the old 1893s, just like any newer firearm, head space is ok and such.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for the come backs and help ... settled on trying some Federal 150 I had in the safe ...

It went bang - 10 times - no problems ...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have an 1994 Winchester 30-30 and I shoot current factory ammo in mine.m Yours is only 11 years older than mine so you should be OK.
Paul B

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Mac, you should be proud! You have really done right by her.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
If it was mine, I would shoot 170 grain cast lead bullets and blackpowder. If I had to use smokeless, I would use trailboss as the powder and stay with the cast lead bullet. That's a beauty, I would not take any chance on hurting it.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it was mine, I would shoot 170 grain cast lead bullets and blackpowder. If I had to use smokeless, I would use trailboss as the powder and stay with the cast lead bullet. That's a beauty, I would not take any chance on hurting it.
My Understanding is that it will not be a SAFE QUEEN but will not be in regular field service either ... will be brought out on special occasions and pleasure shooting days for some fun shooting of an old friend ...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Black Powder in the First American cartridge designed for Smokeless Powder, for Heven sakes why?
The thing is so beautiful, I wouldn't want to take a chance on damage. Shure it would take smokeless when new, but it has been a few years from that time. I guess I am just old school, I shoot black in my Turnbull 92 in 44-40 and it is a modern Japanese rifle when they started with it. You could shoot it all you wanted and not damage it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I shoot black in my Turnbull 92 in 44-40
Not to Steal the Thread, I love to read the details of your use of the Holy Black in a Lever Gun.
I have several originally BC cartridges it just the fouling and constant need to clear the barrel to maintain accuracy as I have seen the Black Powder Cartridge Shooters do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts