Marlin Firearms Forum banner

See you later!

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  marlinman93 
#1 ·
Headed out to Reno for the antique gun show at the Hilton. Taking the old gun magnet along and hopefully it will turn up a good marlin, or a nice single shot rifle!
See you fellas Sunday evening!

#3 ·
Waiting in anticipation for your return with a real yey popper! Good luck.

#4 ·
Hey MM93,
Theres not a dought in my mind as long as you carry my Hand Made Magnet you will find a "SPECIAL"of some sort. You would think it would have rubbed off on me alittle! Good luck Buddy, waiting for Sunday evening.
:lol: 8) :D :lol: 8) :D :lol:

#5 ·
mm93,

Just wanted to also say GOOD LUCK! Just for fun I'd sure like to know if you see any original Marlin 1895's there for sale and how much they are asking for them. Also interested to see how many 1881's you see there for sale.

Have a GREAT TRIP!!!!!!!!!

Geoff

#6 ·
Well, the trip to Reno was great! By the way Geoff, I have a name of a guy who has a model 1895 in .40-82, if you email me. (Cheap)
I missed out on the Remington Rolling Block that I went there to purchase. It was sold to a dealer just before the show opened, so I could only kick myself for not getting it last time I was there.
The good news is I picked up two more of those single shooters, with the funny looking buttplates! Got a beautiful Stevens 47 based on the 44 1/2 frame, in full schuetzen regalia. Swiss nickeled buttplate, half octagon #4 barrel, chambered for .32-40, checkered pistol grip stock, Pope Schuetzen lever, mid-range vernier tang sight, and globe front sight. Very nice rifle, with perfect bore, and hopefully it should shoot as good as it looks!
The second gun really got my heart pumping when I saw it! A model 1885 Winchester Low Wall Deluxe Schuetzen rifle! 30" full octagon #1 barrel, chambered for .22 short, perfect bore, deluxe 3x grade wood, pistol gripped stock, light schuetzen nickeled buttplate, single set trigger, Lyman tang sight, globe front sight, and in about 80% original condition! I fell in love with this one Friday morning, and every couple hours I tried to catch the seller at his table. Finally on Saturday, about 5 minutes before leaving, I caught him home, and struck up the deal! The fella couldn't understand why he hadn't sold this gun at what was an unbelieveably low price, but he came down some more. I just didn't have the heart to tell him to spend more time at his tables, and he might sell things easier. No reason to beat a guy up after he's sold you a great gun for a great price.
All in all it was a very enjoyable show, and well worth the 10 hour drive each way!

#9 ·
As I get older I notice that while bench shooting I'am enjoying the smaller calibers more and more. :D Those 32-40's, .32-20's and 25-20's along with the .22's are looking better to me. :wink: Parley

#12 ·
Thank you djh and Parley! The Winchester has marginally better wood than the Stevens, but both are typical of the great wood rifle makers used to use.
I have to start thinking about a better digital camera, my little $79 special just wont do justice to these guns.

#16 ·
Got good news from Cody this afternoon! The Winchester matches factory records. It was shipped in 1902, with a 1/2 octagon .22 short barrel, and pistol grip Swiss buttplate. It was returned and rebarreled with a full octagon .22 short barrel in 1911.
Looks like someone shot it enought o rebarrel, or too much blackpowder .22 in it. Anyway, it's a correct gun, and that's important to me! Even happier now!

#17 ·
Marlinman93 that is good news. Do you letter all your Winchester's?

I have lettered all of mine. I have a Model 1873 that was made in 1889 that has a heavy barrel on it, 27/32 across the muzzle flats, only about 1500 made. Unfortunatley the letter does not show the heavy barrel. Cody did extensive research but could not find anything concerning the heavy barrel. Who knows the tech that put the gun together might have been late for supper or something and just failed to enter it on his log.

I do have a letter from George Madis author of several Winchester research books stating that in his opinion the barrel is origional to the gun, that helps a little bit but I sure wish it had been on the letter.

I feel it is important to document everything you can about these fine old pieces. The workmanship in making them is far above what we get today. Just look at the wood on the 1885 you just got, abosolutley beautytfull. It would be hard to get anything out of the factory that could match it today. If you did most people could not afford it.

Don't you wish you could see the history behind these old guns.

Keep up the good work, Marlinman93.

#19 ·
djh,
No, I don't letter all my Winchesters, as I only have four. Two Low Walls, one High Wall (too late to letter) and a Winchester shotgun. (too new, and just my chukar gun) I have a friend who is a member of the museum at Cody, and he volunteered to get this info for me via email. I may go ahead and get the letter now that I know it will substantiate the gun's configuration.
Parley,
You're sure right about the old singles! It's tough to find one that hasn't been monkeyed with, especially those with unique features. I see many standard models that look honest, but so many of those with special order features are put together by some very skilled hands, and it's tough to tell without a letter. In the case of Ballards, that's tough to determine, since so many wont letter.

G
#20 ·
Pretty nice, pretty nice. I suspect you're going to have to go hunting with one of those to eat next month. But, priorities are correct, food or singleshots, singleshots win every time. :)

And yep, we want to see every detail so start lookin' for the camera. It definitely adds to the collecting.

Got to go to Reno....

max

#21 ·
More news today. Shows I don't know everything I need to know about Winchesters. A good friend, who does know much more about Winchster singles, looked at my gun. He says it is unique in a couple other ways. It is a "thickside" as it is flat on the sides, rather than the normal contoured in, and it doesn't have the grooved top receiver as most .22 caliber #1 barreled actions had.
He says that it appears the factory used the heavy receiver on this gun because it was a more deluxe model designed for target or match shooting. I'm learning more about Winchesters, just from this one rifle. Both of my other Win single shots are the standard thinside receivers. One a Hi Wall, and one a Low Wall, and the Low Wall also has the grooved top receiver, so it possibly had a lightweight barrel on it at one time.
Blackpowder max,
I missed out on a Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby that was also sold by the guy who sold me the #47 Stevens. It was somewhat bare on the barrel, and it had been relined to .22 LR, but it did have the standard factory engraving, and was a decent gun. It sold for $1400, and I'd have gladly paid that, had I been there a few minutes earlier. I had to watch it being carried off!

#22 ·
Marlinman93:

Sure would like to see you letter that Winchester. Just gives it a little clout.

I had a Winchester Model 1894 Eastern carbine made in 1906 that I was told by phone, by the Cody researchers had 5 variences on it. I sold it to a friend for $ 900.00 dollars. He lettered it and the letter came back to him with 7 documented variances. The two extra turned out to be one of a kind as far as Cody people could tell. He resold it a year later for
$ 2,100.00.

I have never forgiven myself for selling that unit. I will never sell another rifle out of my Winchester collection and will always letter them far this reason.

You have a great find collector in that single shot.

djh

#23 ·
I did sort of get a letter, as I have the email forwarded from Waddy, with the info on it. Not fancy like a real letter, and surely that would increase it's value.
I'll talk to my friend, as he says he usually doesn't use up all his letters at the end of the year.

#25 ·
Thank you very much Sure Shot. They sure aren't Marlins, but I can't help but be attracted to them anyway. I think I know what it's like to have a mistress! Hopefully my Marlins will understand!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.