Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably put a left-over Simmons scope on the new (to me) rifle with a see-through mount. I know the limitations of such mounts, but what brand is better? I can get a no-name set at WallyWorld or order a Weaver set for about the same price from Brownells. Any other choices?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Can't help there.. I dislike See Throughs low and nasty or none .. I would buy only brand name though.. Weaver, or Leupold or alike..

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you want to try some send me an address and I will send you a set to try. (I bought 10 sets on ebay that were advertised as mixed rear sights) and paid less than a buck a set. Two or three of the sets were for Marlin 336 the rest were one Savage and six TC Encore. Have given some away and I am with Gunjunkie on this one don't care for a scope that high as you can't have a proper cheek to stock weld when trying to look through a scope mounted that high.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
I'll have to agree most wholeheartedly with Gunjunkie and Sure-Shot about see-through mounts.

You're compromising your main sighting equipment (the scope) by placing it so high that a proper mounting of the gun is impossible- forcing you into a high, awkward contact with the stock. The bottom of your jaw barely touches the stock, and getting on target quickly is more difficult because the gun is not pointing where you are looking.

The stocks on 336's are most like a shotgun's in that the sighting plane is intended to be very close to the receiver. There is too much drop at the comb to properly look through a high mounted scope.

I would most strongly suggest a variable with a 1 or 2X bottom end if you think you need super close range capability. A properly mounted low scope is vastly superior in speed and shootability when compared to a scope perched atop see-throughs like a second rate papoose. The sight picture through the see-throughs when iron sights are used is considerably inferior in field of view and target acquisition speed when compared to a low X scope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts