Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
In my last thread [another addition to my Marlin family] I had pictures of my 336RC, 30-30 with see through scope mounts. The scope was on the rifle when I purchased it. Have been reading that some people don't like those. I have never hunted with that type of mount, is there a disadvantage with having the see through mounts rather then the rail mount? I am going hog hunting later this year, thought about taking this rifle, want to make sure everything is right.
Or, is it just a matter of preference? Let me know your thoughts and experience with this.:hmmmm:

Thanks in Advance

Hearl

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It's preference mostly. Goofyazz looking things. I don't much like tactical rails on lever actions ether, but they are better looking than the see-throughs.

A good one peace Leupold type that doesn't over hang the receiver much and low rings look best, if you have to scope it. (IMO)

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Some people like them, many hate them. I have a set on one rifle and they are sometimes handy to belp locate a deer quickly in thick cover or maybe a moving animal. Keep in mind you have to raise your cheek off of the stock to see through the scope, therefore losing stability on the sight picture (main reason they are not popular) and they are.....ugly. Try them and see for yourself, if you don't like them you can remove them.

Reactions: 1022 and farmboy

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
people generally don't like them for 1) aesthetics on a lever rifle 2) functionality - without a raised comb buttstock, the normal "cheek weld" doesn't typically allow good sight path thru the scope - you are forced to raise your head off of the stock (not good) for proper sight picture. Using your iron sights should present no problem, however. It is your rifle, do what you want with it, and practice so you know your comfort points! good luck on the hogs, gewehr

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I think they are a solution looking for a problem. I use a shotgun scope at 1.5-4.5 and have no problem with them in close quarters. If I could convince myself that it is OK to depend on a battery I would use a Red Dot. Shot a deer with one at about 20 feet and another at over 100 yards. When I use iron sights I want a receiver sight and a fiber optic front sight. While I play with a set of iron sights on a Henry 22, I really feel one is best served with a properly mounted low power scope. A see through scope mount screws up the field of view for iron sights and is a poor mount for alignment of a scope. When a scope is properly mounted the sight picture is there when the rifle is raised to the shoulder.

DEP

·
Registered
192 Posts
First issue: BLECH!
Second issue: scope sits to high.
Third issue: They are likely to loose zero if bumped.
Fourth issue: Very easy to bump.
There is a Weaver pivot mount base on e---y right now. I've always liked those on anything other than a target rifle. Would be great for a lever to use the irons on the rare need in the woods.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I cannot think of a situation where iron sights would be preferable to an optical sight. I can think of all kinds of reasons why you wouldn't want a scope that forces your head into an awkward position and is two inches above the line-of-bore.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had some on one of my .35's, came with the rifle. Tried them for about a week, took them off and gave them away. Hate the things, I can't get a good sight picture through the scope with them on.

Reactions: farmboy

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Nearly every 336 I have bought in my life (and there have been a few) had a cheap scope on see thru mounts, 1st thing I do when I get home is takem off, I don't like them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tip off and see-thru mounts came out when the typical average scopes were likely to fog up during high humidity, snow, rain and changing temperatures like going in and out of a heated cabin during cold and wet weather. Today's scopes, even the fairly cheap ones never fog so anything other than solid low mounts are ever needed. And most if not all the see thrus were made of aluminum or other soft metals that tended to strip threads when tightened. I see no use for them today unless you want for some reason to mount a too high magnification scope.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Pivot mounts work well. They retain zero, look good, and are quick and easy to manipulate. The down side is if you change your mind and want to pivot back to the scope- it will make a noise too loud for most game to tolerate- and cause a skedaddle.

I have some Iron Sighter mounts too- inherited from my Dad. Most all of the issues mentioned before apply- but if you practice with it you can shoot it fairly well.

M

·
Registered
191 Posts
My thought is they mount the scope too high and you have to raise your head up off the stock when using them. I have nothing against scopes. I just like thyem mounted as low as possible.
Exactly. Choose a mount that will let you have the best cheek weld. I had to get a leupold low mount with a cheek riser. Now this setup is gold.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I did not read ANY of the posts ..... Here is my take ...... NO SEE THRU MOUNTS ..... They Just Don't Work ......... In close hunting I have found that a 1.5-4 scope mounted as close to the barrel is all you need (ring height will have to do with your stock for eye relief ) .....and that means up to 100 yrds ...... Modern scopes are so much better than the inventor of see thru mounts ever expected ...... beside mounting a scope that high your gonna need a comb and that throws off your see thru or vise vrsa

·
Registered
990 Posts
And they are usually the sign of a neotype hunter. As others said "chunk em" and mount the scope low a possible.
Not sure what your are trying to say? This is what I found when I looked up neotype

Definition of neotype (n)Bing Dictionary
ne·o·type
[ née ə t̄̀p ]

• new specimen example: a specimen of a plant or animal selected to replace an original representative example used in classification holotype that has been lost or destroyed
Hmmmm?

Anyway, I would give them try, you may or may not like them. Each person to their own tastes. What I like is when I shoulder my 30-30 the buck horn sights lined right and if it was a longish shot or maybe its was dim light, I could just use the scope. Nice to have options. Most of the folks I know that have see thru sights are filling the freezer every year, cheek weld does not seem to be a factor. Being able to shoot your rifle no matter what the set up is the key. Find what works for you. This discussion comes up on here every once in while and on other forums as well. Good luck in your decision

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
scoped levers defeat the lever. see thru ring are a dinosaur invention from the 50s. How many thing do you use from the 50s?

Take the whole thing off, learn to shoot it with irons, when your old and gray, then think about a compact mildot scope wt\it very low rings

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
With my eyesight anything past 50 yards with iron sights is a hit and miss with the sweetspot. But I hunt in many types of areas from close brushy areas up to 25 yards to places that are over 50 yards. I practice with shooting thru the see thrus and scope and I have no problems with keeping a proper sight picture with both.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I have had see thu's on my 30-30 for over 15 years. Learned to site differently ( cheek weld) Never had a problem keeping zero, they served a special purpose at the time deer hunting with dogs. Now my eyes are old and cannot focus on the iron sites, I still order extra tall ring mounts because I still site the same way I did with the see thru's

Its purely prefference. If you do this you are a _______________( insert any word here). Here is my take, try it you may like it and if you like it ,try some thing else. Don't worry about what anybody else thinks cause its yours, do what makes you happy.

Reactions: kraynky and farmboy
1 - 20 of 37 Posts