Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be a canebrake rattler. Also known elsewhere as a timber rattler. I killed one down in Summerville that was close to seven feet long once.
Summerville SC? you are right that is a timber rattler. we have the ones here also we call cane breaks, they are a lot lighter in color. they are almost sand color. no that did not come off my camera I saw it at a place I worked in 2008 in an office in "Summerville SC" the city boys there had no idea what kind of snake it was. some even said it was a python, I told them wat it was and got a copy,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Summerville SC? you are right that is a timber rattler. we have the ones here also we call cane breaks, they are a lot lighter in color. they are almost sand color. no that did not come off my camera I saw it at a place I worked in 2008 in an office in "Summerville SC" the city boys there had no idea what kind of snake it was. some even said it was a python, I told them wat it was and got a copy,,,,,,,,,,,
I think that there is a line drawn between the Piedmont and low country part of S.C. I was always told any Timber rattler found in the low country was considered a Canebrake. I don't know if that is true but sounds good. I lived in Summerville in the 1978 to 1982 era when the Summerville Greenwave football team ruled the State. Irmo Ruined the 41 win streak at the State Championship either in 81 or 82.https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/crohor.htm

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't do football but I certainly know the legend of the green wave team! I live near the Edisto river about 15 miles from Summerville. yea they are all rattle snakes to me, I am not prejustice I kill them all if they have poison!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I don't do football but I certainly know the legend of the green wave team! I live near the Edisto river about 15 miles from Summerville. yea they are all rattle snakes to me, I am not prejustice I kill them all if they have poison!
I used to catch a lot of eels while cat fishing in the Ashley river. I remember bringing home as many blue crabs as possible to. Caught em with cut shad and a net. Fished the Cooper river and moultrie and Marion lakes a lot also. God I miss that country! Thanks for dredging up old memories Olskool!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
My photo didn't come through! Sorry but you can click on the link...
Must be a well fed Eastern Diamond Back! Looks to long for a Copper Head. Good signs of a very healthy ecosystem in that picture.

Reactions: OLSKOOL and Reload

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Must be a well fed Eastern Diamond Back! Looks to long for a Copper Head. Good signs of a very healthy ecosystem in that picture.
no the diamond backs are mostly on the coast, that one is a timber rattler. either way he is deadly,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
My son lives off the highway about 300 yards an up the road there is a hill that they call rattlesnake hill about 2 miles from his house. It is not unusual to be driving toward his house up rattlesnake hill and see a live timber rattle crossing the road and there is generally a dead one laying not too far from the hill in the road. Certain times of the year you see them pretty regular dead on the side of the road, I figured it was probably breeding season. He has had two big ones run over in front of his house on the road that probably
came from his property.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
:aetsch:Least he is big enough you can see him

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I think the timber, canebreak or Seminole rattlers are more aggressive than a diamondback. My dad used to catch them when I was a kid and sell them to zoos or pharmaceutical companies to make antivenom. Fortunately no one was ever bit.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
I think you guys on the East coast like playing with snakes

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.