Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where I grew up, we had a nice drag strip/ oval track and other combination racing, and I remember back in the early 70's seeing Big Daddy, and Shirly Cha Cha Mouldowny (sp) all the time. I can still remember and feel the very first jet powered dragster I ever watched.

enjoy

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/see--big-daddy--don-garlits-set-a-new-electric-dragster-record--despite-chute-failing-165501137.html

.View gallery

Don "Big Daddy" Garlits, now 82 years old and known as the Godfather of drag racing, has ventured out of retirement. Fifty years ago Garlits set the most notable of his many records – becoming the first drag racer to hit 200 mph. Now he's attempting to replicate that speed, only this time, using a 2,000 hp electric dragster.
On April 30, Garlits broke the record for an electrically powered racer, managing a quarter-mile speed of 184.01 mph at Bradenton Motorsports Park in Florida, crushing the existing record of 156 mph. Only it came with a scare, as Garlits's chute failed to open at the run's climax, causing him to careen off the end of the strip and into a sandy field. Fortunately the 82-year-old was uninjured, but as you can see from the two videos below, it was a frightening situation.
The Bradenton run was merely a shakedown for Garlits; although you can sense the disappointment among those working on the project. Surpassing 200 mph is the goal, and Garlits and his crew are convinced that barrier will soon be broken.
Powering the sled, nicknamed Swamp Rat 37, are six GE motors and four lithium-polymer battery packs, producing around 1,500 kilowatts. Garlits plans to adjust the car's gearing and electric power controller in his quest for more speed.
While top-fuel dragsters push 8,000 hp and hit over 300 mph, Garlits says that the cost to maintain an electric dragster is more reasonable than its nitro-burning counterpart, and there's minimal service required between runs. Randy Cannon, Garlits's media manger who was on site for the record run, offered this example to Yahoo Autos:
"Big Daddy wanted to try the right lane but it was all tire shake. He straightened it out, wheeled it down the strip, and basically did a 'hot lap' back to the starting line. Then, with no additional burnout or adjustments, he staged and launched down the strip for the record run. That is absolutely unheard of in professional drag racing. Every combustion engine pro-class racer is torn down between runs. Garlits and EV Swamp Rat 37 just circled back and fired off a record run. It was amazing."
Ever pushing new boundaries, we now await Big Daddy's next record – one that will continue his legacy as drag racing's Don Corleone.

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
I have seen Big Daddy and Shirley race here in Gainesville at the Gator Nationals. The power of those cars is amazing. I am sorry to say Garlits Drag Racing Museum is just down the road from me and I have never stopped by to see it.

·
Banned
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
listen to the lack of noise as that electric dragster get's it on.

just amazing

Powering the sled, nicknamed Swamp Rat 37, are six GE motors and four lithium-polymer battery packs, producing around 1,500 kilowatts. Garlits plans to adjust the car's gearing and electric power controller in his quest for more speed.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I have seen Big Daddy and Shirley race here in Gainesville at the Gator Nationals. The power of those cars is amazing. I am sorry to say Garlits Drag Racing Museum is just down the road from me and I have never stopped by to see it.
It's well worth the admission.... been there a few times myself

I bet Garlits can tear down a 426 hemi blindfolded since he's done it so many times...

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Thanks for the video. I've been to the museum and it's worth the time. I believe when Big Daddy started using hemis, they were the old 392 C.U. from the fifties. I am glad that he is still able to get out and burn rubber.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Garlits was one of my child hood heroes along with Don Prudome and Tom McEwen in the drag racing world

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for the video!Don Garlitis has been a pioneer in drag racing for sure.Saw him on tv a few weeks ago as ESPN was showing a NHRA sanctioned race.They talked to him and his wife had recently passed away and he took care of her until her final days.He said if not for his wife he would have never had a drag racing career as she was his drag racing partner and encouraged him in all he did.Seemed like a fantastic guy.When I was a kid Big Daddy was the man I always heard about!I just recently ordered the new drag racing movie from Amazon called the Snake and the Mongoose and how drag racing truly really got caught on with the career of these 2 guys and it is a true story directed by Ron Howard and is a good movie to own for sure.I had no idea how much the Snake Don Prudhome ruled drag racing.John Force never did beat him in the day. Mike

Reactions: LT

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
We have a local guy here in Portland, Or. who owns the fastest street legal electric drag car in the world. It's a '72 Datsun 1200, with 8" electric motor (recently changed to a 9" motor!) and he turns the 1/4 mile in 10.14 ET at 124 mph! His biggest problem is keeping the frontend on the ground, and not breaking 9" Ford rear axles! I've watched him run the White Zombie, and he's constantly feathering the throttle to keep the frontend on the ground. The batteries in his car are what really makes it fast. They are rotor control batteries, and the 7 batteries cost $100k!

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Garlits was one of my child hood heroes along with Don Prudome and Tom McEwen in the drag racing world
Same here. I meet him once when my dad work for GM and had pit passes to gator nationals. I was 12 that year and I think my mom still has a picture in one of her many scrapbooks of me standing between my dad and Garlits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts